It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 25 wealthiest counties in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... _the_United_States

I found this interesting and thought I would share. The source is Wiki but is ultimately from census bureau data. I thought it was particularly interesting to note that Virginia (is for lovers) and Maryland consist of 11 counties on that list. DC not even being mentioned because they don't have counties or representation for that matter either (he he couldn't resist).

Now I'm fairly familiar with the DMV area and what the driving forces are for the particular local economies. Lot of money in the DMV, Starting with all the political aides, lobbyists and those types (real busy bodies if ya will). Now they are towards the top of the financial pyramid in the DMV area then you have the government contractors and such who bring in a pretty penny themselves working on all that secret gubment stuff all the way down to the smallest detail. Think policy all the way down to gear maintenance and logistics.

These two groups are paid the way they are and oh so well to help them forget about what the overall big picture is that they are contributing to (in a lot of ways this is fueled by blind patriotism). It's easy not to ask any real questions when you your household is bringing in like 100-250k and thats on the low-mid level contractor side. It's easy to forget that you may have just helped with a project that may ultimately in the end cost other people their lives whom you've never met in a war that you don't necessarily believe in. IM DEFENDING AMERICA DAMMIT!!! *Disclaimer* I served in a foreign occupation even if my reasons were misguided at the time, so I'm not judging just saying.

Then you have the skilled laborer types where the upper echelons who are too busy and/or lazy to do things for themselves so need your valuable skills around. So you are useful and needed but don't deserve a reward for any diligent contribution to the war machine and all of its parts. Just enough so that you can make a decent living to be happy enough to keep fixing sinks and car parts. Not hating on plumbers or mechanics either btw so don't hate me. Just pointing out that those are examples of that income level and the disparity between who actually contribute in meaningful and very needed ways yet don't get paid adequately and fairly based on their labor and skills.

Then you have my favorite the service and retail industry where these poor wretch are paid like indentured servants who should also at least be given servants quarters or something for gods sake. So they may at least save something to eventually pay for their freedom. Seriously though these folks are being paid in a manner that suggests that they should be thankful and grateful to be serving you that burger. The bad part is thats exactly the attitude that that coorparte video you watch in the back with the game show host guide tells you to do pretty much. That is certainly not what you get in most cases, no you get someone who looks like they hate their friggin life and could give a crap less if your burger fell on the floor.

Oh it seems I painted a pretty sad and grim picture there, hmm oh well business as usual I guess. I think I'll go take a walk on a beach later.

*Just checked, D.C. counts as the richest state. Go figure lol.*
edit on CDTSun, 24 May 2015 08:58:05 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Sun, 24 May 2015 08:58:05 -050058 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSun, 24 May 2015 10:25:39 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Sun, 24 May 2015 10:25:39 -050025 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSun, 24 May 2015 10:32:43 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Sun, 24 May 2015 10:32:43 -050032 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Love it! I mean your little rant is awesome...the truth?.. the truth is there are a TON of little fish feeding off the crumbs that fall off the taxpayers table.

a reply to: TrappedPrincess

edit on 24-5-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thanks just trying to put it in terms that the average person could understand. It's sad when I look around and see whats going on and many don't. Sometimes it feels surreal like I'm the only real person in the room and everyone else are robots almost. a reply to: BlueJacket

edit on CDTSun, 24 May 2015 09:29:31 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Sun, 24 May 2015 09:29:31 -050029 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSun, 24 May 2015 10:45:25 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Sun, 24 May 2015 10:45:25 -050045 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I live in NOVA
& what you say is True.

just planning my escape

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Here is a fix of your link for you: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thanks and big 'ol shiny star for you a reply to: caladonea

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Law enforcement are a special segment of this whole construct as well. They are on the lower end of this payment structure yet they get special treatment and privileges bringing them closer (in their minds) to being part of the "elite". When really they are just diligent servants that are happy with the small bit of limited power and authority they wield over individuals lives on a daily basis.

Now obviously at the higher end of that segment they are paid more for their silence and high end special favors. I like to joke that being a cop is the closest thing to being batman that the average citizen could achieve. You get a suped up car with a computer in it, you get a belt with all kinds of cool eff you up gadgets that you get to use with impunity on pretty much whomever you see fit and you have access to "the rest of the justice league" to come back you up.

Can't lie, I thought about being a CLEO (corrupt legislation enforcement object) years ago but then realized I would be unable to sell out my fellow citizen in a manner that would make me successful within that sector with the arrest quotas (that don't exist) and what have you. *Disclaimer* I don't hate cops I just wish they would snap out of it and come back to our side.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Aw....thanks!

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Not surprising. The NOVA/DMV area produces nothing. They grow nothing. They build nothing.

It's all tax dollar feeders. The money that should make other areas of the country better off are funneled there to perpetuate the self-licking ice cream cone. And raise real estate costs to the moon.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

HA! The county I lived in through my high school years shows up in the top 100 in 2010, and the top 25 in the 2000 census...

I always knew those people were snobs! Now I have proof!

lol..
edit on 25-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join