It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News Smoke Rising at Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This is from ten minutes ago:

BUCHANAN (WABC) --
There is smoke rising from the Indian Point nuclear plant.

Witnesses are telling Eyewitness News that there was some sort of explosion at the plant located in Buchanan, Westchester County, just south of Peekskill.

We are following this story closely, and bring the latest details as they become available.

7online.com...

edit on Sun May 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jessme2

Police are saying they think it was a transformer. The plant fire department handled the fire.

+6 more 
posted on May, 9 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You mean to tell me that Optimus Prime is real?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It seems to be a small fire if the last poster is correct.

it seems like the OP's headline is a news article that we should all expect a lot more of in our future. Our children and grandchildren should get used to such headlines as more and more countries use nuclear technology to advance their energy needs. Standards in how they go about building and maintaining it stands on the shoulders of those responsible for monItoring it.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

LOL.

ID

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The report is pretty straightforward the it was a transformer fire, and part of the electrical power system outside of the nuclear power system itself. I guess we have to wait to find out the cause.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Was there ever doubt?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Zaphod probably knows, but he won't be able to say anything publicly.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Yeah, but what was the transformer used for and will the lost transformer effect anything important? Does this mean they will be lowering output at the plant?

It doesn't have to be a disaster to be a big inconvenience for people relying on the energy.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I know nossing! NOSSING!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Unit 3 is down they had just brought it back online friday after maintenance.
New York City probably has a lot of redundancy in their power supply they can buy power from Canada if necessary.

Bet it will be a little pricier than their home boys produce though.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Yeah, but what was the transformer used for and will the lost transformer effect anything important? Does this mean they will be lowering output at the plant?

It doesn't have to be a disaster to be a big inconvenience for people relying on the energy.

Good question, a transformer is for powering down to usable current for the plughole in the wall, and if it is in this case part of the complex, then part of that would be affected for a short time, while there should be built in redundancy and likely that area's needs switched to somewhere else. A power station like this would also be part of the power grid anyway, even if the whole caboodle failed.
I should add that it's not a good time for any failure at this plant at this time. If no new equipment has been installed, much of it would be past it's best. The plant itself has shut down automatically it seems.
To add, The Guardian says unit 3 shut down automatically, Unit 3 had been out of service previously because of a steam leak on Thursday.

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 9-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

That surprised a laugh out of me. You got a star for that one. I'd give you a thousand more if I could. That was funny.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Not only real but also not that well made it seems, if only he could turn into a firetruck!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Oh, good! It wasn't in the nuclear area. They got lucky because it could have been a lot worse.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Glad this seems to be nothing to be concerned over.

Counterintuitively, a LOOP accident could produce very bad things and give us a Fukushima-type event here of our own.

Not to say whats happend is anywhere near that

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
a reply to: rickymouse

Unit 3 is down they had just brought it back online friday after maintenance.
New York City probably has a lot of redundancy in their power supply they can buy power from Canada if necessary.

Bet it will be a little pricier than their home boys produce though.

I told them using evangelions for transformer unit was a bad idea. PArticularly UNIT 3.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I suppose it isn't like around here. When the transformer went out in Escanaba about a month or so ago, they had to rent a portable unit till they got a replacement in. Even that took a few days and they were rationing the power. I suppose they could dump a whole power plant there with no problem since they all run at about sixty percent. If there is a problem elsewhere it could be bad. Hopefully nothing else happens in the area till they get that fixed.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

And I just mentioned on another thread my reason for no nuclear. That poster who commented me tried to assure me that our nuclear power plants are well-maintained.

Good thing if it were only a transformer fire.

There is simply too many cons when it comes to nuclear power plants.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
My guess is it was a transformer taking it up to many thousands of volts which is suitable for exporting the power down the transmission network.
Transformers work both ways.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join