It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

When I went to school I loved the library there and I would spend hours in it, reading. Can homeschooled children do that?

Of course they can! My kids spent lots of time in the library with me before they were "school-aged". We have thousands of books in our home. They were both reading by age 3. We read together for years and years.

Yes, there are SOME homeschoolers who sequester their kids away from society and shield them from everything....while pumping 'religious' docrine into them.....
but there are also some who know what they're doing, have the background to do it, and are dedicated to rearing their kids with the best possible overall "Liberal Arts" based education.....

There's no rule that homeschooled kids can't come to the public library. And most "homeschoolers" have at least one stay-at-home parent dedicated to their kids' development and education.

edit on 5/9/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

When I went to school I loved the library there and I would spend hours in it, reading. Can homeschooled children do that?

Of course they can! My kids spent lots of time in the library with me before they were "school-aged". We have thousands of books in our home. They were both reading by age 3. We read together for years and years.

Yes, there are SOME homeschoolers who sequester their kids away from society and shield them from everything....while pumping 'religious' docrine into them.....
but there are also some who know what they're doing, have the background to do it, and are dedicated to rearing their kids with the best possible overall "Liberal Arts" based education.....

There's no rule that homeschooled kids can't come to the public library. And most "homeschoolers" have at least one stay-at-home parent dedicated to their kids' development and education.

In which case your kids were very lucky and I congratulate you for having so many books! (You never have enough of them!)

It's the others that I'd be worried about, the ones that don't have access to facilities. I read this last year and it deeply shocked me. At the time my oldest step-granddaughter was being educated from home. It didn't work because her grades fell off a cliff and she went back to school.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

What I am saying is that when properly funded and supported they can do a hell of a lot better job at educating children than some parents can at home, because they have the resources to do so.

Not necessarily. Depends a lot on the resources of the parents. My grandchildren are being provided the finest homeschooling money can buy. Then there are those folks that pool their resources. I know many home educators and they are all types. One does not need a lot of resources to home educate, kids tend to educate themselves when they don't have to run a gauntlet of nonsense each and every day. Have you noticed the lack of resources that most public education suffers under. They pass that feeling of lack onto our children.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

exactly. There is a thread here about that very topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I love to see the out pouring of support from the public, there gofundme is over 30k when they only asked for 10k.

There are some great comments on there page including from CPS workers that claim what the sherriff did was out of line and opens them up for lawsuits. gofundme Im not posting there gofundme to ask for donations but the info from the comments are a good source of information.

edit on 9-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

That's wonderful. Kentucky may have bitten off more than they can chew.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The idea that the "authorities" have ANYTHING to say about how this family lives is INSANE to me. The idea that the government sets standards about our kid's education at home is also seriously messed up. This story infuriates me. I'm glad to see they're getting so much support.

I don't care if they're educating their kids religiously. That's their right, as it is any other parent's right. The kids seem happy, healthy, intelligent and well-cared for. Whose business is it?

Some Audio of the Incident: www.saveourfamily.info...
edit on 5/9/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't always agree with you BH, but I always respect your opinion and appreciate the thought and effort you put into your posts.

I have to say that reading your, and BuzzyWigs posts on this topic have made my day.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on this topic!

Run for office, I would vote for you. And maybe have on your ticket OpinionatedB.

I have a lot of respect for both of you, and although you are polar opposites on many issues you respect each other and could work together for the common good.

I can dream right? Anyway, thanks for your posts

Sorry if off topic.....

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My only issue from what I have been reading is that they were depending on others for water...

They have every right to do what they are doing, but if they are depending on others for water then those kids could very well be in danger.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

so, that link is down because of unusually heavy traffic as of this post time.....
Thanks for posting it.

I'm glad this is out there and people are actively participating in the thing.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I am one of those horrible people that live in Kentucky. Some of us awful people care more about the children's well-being than their parents personal beliefs.

There's another thing we tend to do in Kentucky. We like to get facts in order first before we climb up on a soapbox. This might come as a surprise to you but it's nice to understand both sides of the story before you form an opinion.

A brief word of caution on the circumstances

Even if the information in this link is wrong, after looking at both claims. I would still make the same move in interest of the welfare of the children just in case.

edit on 9-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I have a lot of respect for both of you, and although you are polar opposites on many issues you respect each other and could work together for the common good.

I think you're talking about the 'opposites' regarding BH and OpB, right?

Because BH and I are in agreement on most everything.
And OpB is a friend of mine, and I respect her, too. She and I also have things in common.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I am one of those horrible people that live in Kentucky. Some of us awful people care more about the children's well-being than their parents personal beliefs.

There's another thing we tend to do in Kentucky. We like to get facts in order first before we climb up on a soapbox. This might come as a surprise to you but it's nice to understand both sides of the story before you form an opinion.

Oh my.
Yes, I see I owe you an apology.
I don't think all people in Kentucky are "horrible." I never said that.

and yes, I'm endeavoring to understand all sides of it. I don't live there, and can only go by what I see in media....
thank you very much for standing up and supporting Kentucky, and helping to set us all straight on what's going on there. Seriously.

PS: I live in Kansas, which is getting lots of press about its demise, which demise is real, and which is because of our state government.
But not all Kansans are on board with the state's "agenda".

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I VERY MUCH appreciate you posting this image and participating here.
Thank you.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

This issue has been touched on lightly on the local news. Sorry no videos yet as it was just on TV. While I understand an approval of the right to homeschool and live off the grid. Some of the neighbors comments and description made me frightened for the children's well-being.

I apologize if I took offense to some of your previous statements. But contrary to popular believe Kentucky is not full of barefoot inbred hillbillies. Hell some of my best friends own shoes.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I have seen negative remarks from perhaps 2 neighbors that had a disagreement with this family, yet a overwhelming response from all the other people in there life on there gofundme and there facebook page.

If it wasn't for the argument CPS wouldn't have been called. IMO

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sometimes I hate, and that makes me feel ashamed.

The creator gave this planet to us for free, can anyone show me where he threw the clause in about taking children away from a happy environment at the whim of the state.

Didn't think so.

Jesus indeed wept, and now I can see why.

Are we now 100% fully aware we reside on a prison planet and this is indeed hell.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: stosh64

I think you're talking about the 'opposites' regarding BH and OpB, right?

Because BH and I are in agreement on most everything.
And OpB is a friend of mine, and I respect her, too. She and I also have things in common.

Exactly, I am aware of you and BH being of a similar mindset, and that OB contrasts that often.

However I admire all 3 of you. My hope was to have political representation that could act as I have observed debates between you guys.
Even if you vehemently disagree it is usually done with respect and a general sense of trying to understand each other.
Politicians could learn a lot from the example you guys set.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

While I understand an approval of the right to homeschool and live off the grid. Some of the neighbors comments and description made me frightened for the children's well-being.

I totally agree with you....I am only just learning about the case.
Thanks again.
There are people in my state (KS) who frighten me, too.

In solidarity,

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

There's seemingly a lot more to this story than what is being framed here.
How does anyone here think these parents are managing off-grid with 10 KIDS, and providing adequately for them?

Sorry to say it, but people would struggle to provide for two kids while being off-grid, so the idea that they can appropriately provide for ten, and themselves, is clearly bs.

I can understand living off-grid and wanting to raise a family that way, but these parents seem incredibly naive and pretty selfish too. You don't have ten kids when you can afford to provide for them all, let alone when you're living under tarpaulin and can't even give them enough water to drink!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join