It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's that 1776 time of Year...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Every year about this time I start watching the musical "1776". A musical about the writing of the Declaration of Independence by the continental Congress in Philadelphia.

You can stream it on Amazon but I think you have to rent the DVD from Netiflix.

A piece of tivia you might find interesting, but un-proven, is that before the film premiered in1972 Jack Warner sceened the film for Richard Nixon:

Director Peter H. Hunt and writer Peter Stone claim in the DVD commentary that President Richard Nixon was given a private screening of the movie before its release in 1972 by his friend, producer Jack L. Warner. The claim further goes on that the song "Cool, Considerate Men" offended Nixon (he thought that audiences would take it as a criticism of his presidency, even though the film was set two centuries earlier), so Warner removed it at Nixon's request. However, the documents from the Nixon Library (which lists all the movies viewed at the White House at the time) shows that "1776" was never previewed there. However, the documents do show that the Nixon family was given a performance of the stage play of "1776" at the White House on February 22, 1970, and this may be the cause of the confusion of about a private screening of the film. As Jack Warner was not in attendance for the 1970 performance, it remains an open question as to how much of the story behind Warner's cutting of the song is true. In any case, the song was restored on the deluxe wide screen presentation laserdisc and later was included on the restored director's cut DVD.

There are few films I watch repeatedly. This one in particular I enjoy because of the dialog which is clever and derived from historical sourcs, the songs and lyrics are very catchy and it's an example of how the 'same argument' is still going on today.

I hope you will find the time to view it and, of course, enjoy it as I do.

edit on 8-5-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

edit on 8-5-2015 by southernplayalistic because: i'm not sure why i posted this

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Damn, was Nixon paranoid...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
President Nixon had a DVD player in the 70s?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
President Nixon had a DVD player in the 70s?

LOL - a private screening then..

top topics

join