It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predatory Cockroach From Dinosaur Era Found Trapped in Amber

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This is pretty cool, ATS. A new extinct species of cockroach aka: Manipulator modificaputis, has been discovered at a mine in Noije Bum, Myanmar. This new cockroach is very similar to a Preying Mantis due to its long neck and long legs which enabled the insect to hunt; mainly at night.

Peter Vršanský from the Geological Institute in Bratislava, Slovakia, and his team, who examined the insect, say its long neck, which allows the head to rotate freely, and unusually long legs, suggest that it actively pursued prey. The fossilised insect, called Manipulator modificaputis, was discovered at a mine in Noije Bum, Myanmar.

During the early Cretaceous period when it lived, several predatory cockroach-like lineages evolved. Only one group survives today: the praying mantises, which have similar front legs to the fossil, and are closely related to cockroaches.

I thought ATS would get a kick out of this. Check it out.

Source
edit on 30/4/2015 by Gemwolf because: Fixed link

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
As much as I dislike cockroaches, that is pretty damn cool. It's amazing how well preserved it is.

s&f

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Here is the Pic of it OP

Looks more like a Mantis fly to me .

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
good catch Kapusta!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
What the...? I've never seen a mantis fly before. Yes, it does look like the fly. Hmmm, interesting!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Here is the Pic of it OP

Looks more like a Mantis fly to me .

If that isn't god# terrifyin, I don't know what is.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I can't decide if I want to give a star or leave the internet forever. That post really hurt my eyes.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FaceMyBook

Whelp, you should try looking at these thigs move they. Mimic other insects. For instance the one in the pic looks like a wasp it also moves and acts just like a wasp.

Also their is a mantis fly "ant" that moves and acts like an ant .

Tell me that anint creepy!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
That is some very colorless amber.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
First, seeing a living thing as it existed 100 million years ago is an extremely cool thing, and a bit mind boggling. Thanks for that.

I'm curious on size - a quick google doesn't turn anything up. Wasn't everything bigger back then?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
a reply to: FaceMyBook

Whelp, you should try looking at these thigs move they. Mimic other insects. For instance the one in the pic looks like a wasp it also moves and acts just like a wasp.

Also their is a mantis fly "ant" that moves and acts like an ant .

Tell me that anint creepy!!!

Insect biology is pretty amazing. The way insects behave to hunt and fight is pretty crazy.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: redtic
First, seeing a living thing as it existed 100 million years ago is an extremely cool thing, and a bit mind boggling. Thanks for that.

I'm curious on size - a quick google doesn't turn anything up. Wasn't everything bigger back then?

The climate on Earth was warmer and more humid with 20% more oxygen in the atmosphere. With those conditions, insects and other bugs can grow to be much larger. Dragonflies and just about everything else.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Per the article, it is some form of mantis, which is apparently closely related to cockroaches. I did not know that!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Amber from the Cretaceous, found in a mine ... Now all they need is to extract the dino DNA!

I wonder if the mantis- roach last meal is preserved, like bog mummies and tundra mammoths stomach contents are.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Creepy,

It appears that this was found 12 years ago in 2003. From your source...........

And 10 years before that in 1993, Spielberg in Jurassic Park based the entire movies premise on this.....
Remarkable coincidence, my mind is racing as to what they may have done with this specimen in the last 13 years, and what other bat-ship crazy creatures have been found that we arre yet to find out about.

S&F, thanks.

edit on 30-4-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

You mean we are on the verge of someone creating Devonian Park?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

LOL "things based on horror movies"...........I think I would prefer a Velociraptor or T-Rex than some flying massive Mantis.

Thanks for the thought - too bad one cannot delete images from the minds-eye.

I think I might just stay awake for a few days.........just in case.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Haha! Sorry I couldn't help myself. You posted the links and I just had to go there.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

...This movie was 60 years ahead of its time. :p

new topics

top topics

join