It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots, looters, and thugs, least we forget

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

i can already see the 'that was then, this is now' and some gold ol' 'get over it and get a job!' (which is ironic since 25% of the population receive some kind of food assistance from the government and lets not touch corporate!).

more or less, the same words are being used, the only thing that has changed is perception. now folks see the same words in headlines and start of think of incidents like baltimore and think that black people act like savage fools, when after entering ww1, the race riots erupted across america.

that was something my african american history class covered, i wonder why it's never covered in high school?

Black Wall Street is a another great example too. As is Rosewood.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

Yes I do understand that. It really is shameful that there seems to be no recourse to the law even in plainly obvious cases of abuse. It seems that the only witness valid nowadays is the television and media.

I feel the pain of all you guys who have to bear the brunt of this, it isn't easy. I do however believe that we will sort this out. Do you know why?

I will tell you why, because wherever I go and whoever I talk to, they all say the same. It is time this chit changed!

We don't need revolution, revolution is chaotic, we need involution, let's get back to what was good! It wasn't all wrong, when we made national health services, paid a man a working wage, had some social responsibility, had morality but defended that which we thought was RIGHT regardless of religious or philosophical points of view, and not what was economically advantageous, looked after our elderly, and accepted that it was our duty to do so.

I know, I know...it is Utopia...My mother still talks about a world where neighbours would think about their neighbours even to the detriment of themselves.

Sorry for the rant.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
We are absolutely obliged to understand one another, both rioters, and those who are rioted against.

It really is a question of understanding what is going on.

A person who riots doesn't riot because everything is going well in their life, they simply don't. If they did, then we would have riots in the most beautiful of places, wouldn't we?

A person who is affected by, but is against riots, has no choice here, they didn't ask for the violence on their doorstep, did they?

Who gains from riots? I don't think anybody really does, it is deeper than that.

I think that those who take advantage (monetarily) of society don't really understand how much they are actually causing damage, and those who riot are subconsciously trying to let those who can change it see what is going on.

It will take a monumental shift in economics and morality for this to change.

Like I said at the beginning, we are condemned by our humanity to understand one another. And it is becoming more and more clear everyday.

This is one of the most thoughtful post I've ever read here on ATS.
Thank you for gently reminding us all of our common humanity.

Cheers,
ATA

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

A lot of immigrants in this country came to this country poor. Some with only the clothes on their backs. They were discriminated against, called names and lived in poverty. They rose above all that. They took any job they could and some even took multiple jobs just to put food on their table and help give their children a better life. A lot of them had little education yet stressed to their children the importance of education, hard work and respecting those in authority.

So let's not use poverty as an excuse for burning down a community, looting businesses and engaging in violence. People and communities need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop making excuses for their unfortunate circumstances.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Teens today think disrespect and being a thug is a cool thing today. The same thing happened in the 60's movement where teens started using '___', growing their hair long and following the hippie and commune movement.

Well I'm a 60's person, and anything I did was nothing to do with disrespect, and it was a fun time to be around.
When things did start to take a left turn much later, most of it was inspired by feck-ups in our media, (surprise, surprise?) and the moguls and nothing much has changed since.
I leave a gap below for someone to fill in the details,

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

A lot of immigrants in this country came to this country poor. Some with only the clothes on their backs. They were discriminated against, called names and lived in poverty. They rose above all that. They took any job they could and some even took multiple jobs just to put food on their table and help give their children a better life. A lot of them had little education yet stressed to their children the importance of education, hard work and respecting those in authority.

So let's not use poverty as an excuse for burning down a community, looting businesses and engaging in violence. People and communities need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop making excuses for their unfortunate circumstances.

Btw I am from one of those immigrant communities,but the histories are different.

You may or may not take the time to view the above although I really hope you do, and you will see a direct relation to the PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX today.. the red lining and the relationship with LOE.. your ancestors suffered with racist or ethnic discrimination but for a generation or two ..at least watch the first 20 min.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
S&F for this thread bringing up more examples of rioting. Anyone want to talk about riots from sporting events?

2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Riots

"Why do these things happen when a white police officer kills a young black male?"

How about why do idiot sports fan turn into maniacs based on the outcome of game performed by overpaid athletes who in some instances the overpaid professional athletes are criminals themselves?

edit on 29-4-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

You may or may not take the time to view the above although I really hope you do, and you will see a direct relation to the PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX today.. the red lining and the relationship with LOE.. your ancestors suffered with racist or ethnic discrimination but for a generation or two ..at least watch the first 20 min.

Granted African Americans history is nothing compared to the European immigrants who came here. Losing ones ancestry due to slavery, being segregated from white society, murdered and tortured, and being forced into industrial slavery is by far not an equal comparison to the hurdles European immigrants had to overcome.

However, dwelling on the past doesn't move black Americans forward. It only keeps them segregated from the rest of society. It also does nothing but harbors anger and hate inside, and that alone does nothing positive for the individual nor their community. They can't change the past so the only positive thing to do is move forward and focus on improving their lives and the lives of their children. They're wearing a ball and chain that prevents some of them from becoming a productive and successful member of society.

Sure, Black Americans can't ignore their past and they shouldn't. However, they need to stop using it as an excuse for violence, poverty, apathy towards education and criminal activity.

Successful African Americans such as Chris Rock, Bill Cosby and Charles Barkley have even spoken out on how unsuccessful African Americans want to keep them down. This quote from Charles Barkley on this matter can possibly explain the disdain and poverty in the black community.

Barkley said that young black men who do well in school are accused of “acting white” by their peers. “One of the reasons we’re never going to be successful as a whole, because of other black people. And for some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you’re not a thug or an idiot, you’re not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don’t break the law, you’re not a good black person. And it’s a dirty, dark secret.”

edit on 29-4-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
I wonder if Rock, Barkley and Cosby realize they are just as bad as those that want to drag others down. They made their fortunes by serving as distractions from the real world, they are the "Bread and Circus" peddlers of our time period.

edit on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 01:36:42 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join