It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guoliang Tunnel – China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Although not the most dangerous road or tunnel the beautiful scenery, stone buildings and story of Guoliang makes it stand out.

Wiki
SSQQ

The story behind the Guoliang tunnel:

The village of Guoliang, a cliff top town, was basically cut off from civilization and is high in the Taihang Mountains and situated in (Huixian, Xinxiang,) the Henan Province of China. The only way to reach it was by steep stairs embedded in the mountainside called the “Sky Ladder”, which was a dangerous, no mistake climb.
In 1972 a group of thirteen villagers headed by their chief, Shen Mingxin began the project. They basically sold all their livestock and products to fund the project. Because of the treacherous nature several of the unskilled died before the tunnel was completed in May 1977. The tunnel got 30 widows that was created to remove the rubble and today is a major tourist’s attraction.

Other Chinese Tunnels

Kemaliye Taş Yolu – Turkey

I see a thread discussing the most unforgettable roads on ATS in 2013, link below. It however does not discuss the Guoliang Tunnel. But if Mod feels to close this thread please do so.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1C152015-04-27T11:40:33-05:00MondayAmerica/Chicago2 by ICycle2 because: Because I can

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

Wow! well I would rather die than take that road, just no way I could do it. I sure hope there are not earthquakes in the area. Beautiful yes but pictures will do!

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Very pretty and pretty dangerous.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

I love it. I would absolutely love to travel to these places on a scooter or in a small reliable car and enjoy the scenery, no question about it in my mind.

Part of me marvels at the dilemma those folk addressed when communication with the outside world made them choose between backbreaking tunnel work versus moving to an easier access environment. Besides the scenery, what makes mountain top living so great? Less oxygen up there, less agriculture I would imagine, and I bet that modern medical services are hard to come by. Winds and icy cold weather in winter would turn off this winter wuus. Would love to visit, but would never consider staying.

new topics

top topics

join