It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord of the Flies (original and remake)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I watched Lord of the Flies last night. The movie never fails to disturb me. Despite that, I think it's a great movie. It goes to show what you can accomplish with a well written script and decent actors.

Lord of the Flies is based on the novel of the same name that was written by William Golding. I also recommend reading the novel, by the way, since it's a great piece of literature.
Released in 1990, Lord of the Flies is a remake of the 1963 movie and is about a group of boys from a military school that is shipwrecked on a tropical island and must fend for themselves. They soon break into two separate groups. One group tries to hang onto its training, while the other descends into savagery.
There are so many layers of darkness in this movie, like an onion that's gone black with corruption. I won't give you an examination of the layers; though, because I don't want to ruin the movie for you or give spoilers. I want you to discover them for yourself.

About the movie:
Lord of the Flies

Here is the 1990 version. Enjoy!

I'll also include the original, in case you'd rather see that or in case you would like to watch both and compare the two.

About the original:
Original Lord of the Flies

Here is the movie.

Which one do you like better, and why? Myself, I find it hard to decide. I like them both.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I remember that movie. We watched that version 1990 in College Prep English. Lord of the Flies was one of four novels we had to read outside of class and write term length papers on - the others were Lord Jim, Cry the Beloved Country and A Tale of Two Cities.

Lord of the Flies was probably my favorite with A Tale of Two Cities, not because it's such a touchy feely wonderful book, but because it is so very disturbing. It gets down into that whole man/monster thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't know there even was a remake. We had to read the novel in school and we watched the original 1963 version of the film.

Now I have a new movie to find!

Thanks! Starred and Flagged!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I watched it for the first time when I was in high school. I could tell that it affected my classmates the same way that it did myself. We were all shaken.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness is another powerful, dark novel. I re-read it every few years.

Lord of the Flie, only once, ages ago. Maybe it was too disturbing for me.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I had to read Lord Jim and hated every single, blasted page. After that, it would take an act of God to get me to touch any other Joseph Conrad. It ranks right up there in my pantheon of wasted words with Great Expectations.

Maybe it's that I don't like books where the protags come across to me as whining about something.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I never saw the earlier version so found it interesting. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I read that last year. I thought it was good.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You're welcome. I'm always happy to share a good movie.

new topics

top topics

join