It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Recognizes Two Chimpanzees as Legal Persons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This crap makes my head hurt. How did this nutter ever become a judge?
This is bound to get overturned but damn.

www.buzzfeed.com...

www.nonhumanrightsproject.org...

Next they will get the right to vote and of course the right to college educations.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I sincerely hope that this "judge" will not be allowed to make any further judgments....

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Can those chimps now run for president?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Boymonkey will be thrilled!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
My 4 Chimps are out of work, where can I sign them up for welfare, oh and I am a carer of 4 chimps, where is my Carers Allowance?

Also, my neighbors Chimp threw poo at me, can I sue them and can they go to prison?
edit on 21 4 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Who cares what the legal status is... Sure, ok, let's call them 'persons' purely so that they can be legally moved to a better caring facility. Chimps are not going to be our masters, and we really shouldn't be mastering them. The chimps don't care about being 'persons', they just want a chance at a better life.

The NhRP has asked that Hercules and Leo be freed and released into the care of Save the Chimps, a sanctuary in Ft. Pierce, Florida. There they will spend the rest of their lives primarily on one of 13 artificial islands on a large lake in Ft. Pierce, Florida along with 250 other chimpanzees in an environment as close to that of their natural home in Africa as can be found in North America. In the second step of the process, the Court will determine whether the reason given by Stony Brook is legally sufficient, or whether Hercules and Leo should be freed.

For the good of these chimps, legal madness is just a stupid waste of time. Do what's right for the chimps, if we have to call them persons to help give them a better life. Do it.

These chimps could be much better persons than a good percentage of us.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I wonder what species will be the next to attain personhood?
I hope it isn't pigs.
That will screw my bacon supply up.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

They must be preparing us for the soylent green future, when they make pigs people we will be eating people, so when we start eating real people, we would have been eating "people" for a while now, so it wont be a biggie to eat actual real people

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Planet of the apes, people, we will be ruled as slaves by the chimpanzees, just like planet of the apes.

Now in a more serious note, activist should never be allow to hold positions of power, make laws or became stupid judges

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

About time our evolutionary cousins get equal rights.....after gay folk get equal rights it is the time of the ape.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

www.buzzfeed.com...

Next they will get the right to vote and of course the right to college educations.

I'll be right back! I have to go file a case so I can call my puppy wuppy a person and start claiming her on my taxes. After all, I do spend enough on her! LOL

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: greencmp

About time our evolutionary cousins get equal rights.....after gay folk get equal rights it is the time of the ape.

Let's not forget transgender monkeys!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

www.buzzfeed.com...

Corporations are already legal persons. I don't see what is so crazy about chimps being too.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That is a great topic on its own, is interesting how the mentality of some judges comes forward to judge in favor of chimpanzees while people, voters and tax payers are still having a hard time getting the law in their favors.

It kind of makes my head sometimes spin, when it comes to priorities.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

Corporations are represented by those that runs them, legal teams in behave of share holders, all humans.

I will love to see a chimpanzee running a corporation or in court trying to voice its complain, I think is going to be amusing.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

So chimps are people, but people who haven't been through birth aren't people.

This is why throat-punching idiots should be made legal.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Yeah, a fetus has no rights but a chimp does.
Makes me want to go full chuck norris.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Well, technically, we are living the "Planet of the Apes" scenario... mutated apes do, in fact, rule us all ... sorta what the whole story's metaphor was about... but on to the topic.

As far as ascribing person-hood to other semi-aware creatures... I'm not sure it's a bad thing... we have to draw a line about using other critters somewhere, and beings that are self-aware seems a good start... so dolphins (etc), too, might qualify.

Better than keeping them in hellish cages and doing sometimes hellish experiments on them, imo.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Yeah, a fetus has no rights but a chimp does.
Makes me want to go full chuck norris.

Do you want a vote for your foetus too?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: JUhrman

Corporations are represented by those that runs them, legal teams in behave of share holders, all humans.

In that case why aren't these people held responsible for the wrongdoings of said corporations?

Truly, the legal status of corporations has always been used as an umbrella to remove the responsibility from the people in power. They might be run by humans, but the laws often consider these human are not responsible of the deeds of the company.

Kind of paradoxical don't you think?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join