It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Beginner offering a Beginners guide to Bourbon.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Having tried many different drinks and types of drinks, I have found I like Bourbon. I also like wine. Learning about the complexities of wine is a lot of fun since you taste as part of the learning process. Imagine my surprise to find out that the same thing can happen with quality bourbon.

My son-in-law just came back from another trip to Afghanistan. We had talked several times while he was over there of going to a bar with a good top shelf collection to taste some. He came up with an even better idea. Buy a few really good bottles and sample them at home.

So, here we have the starting selection:

We started out with Buffalo trace. Very smooth, a little sweet, nice finish. easy to enjoy. Lowest price ($28)
Next was Knob Creek. (was my favorite) Good smell, a bit of a bite after the Buffalo Trace. good flavor, OK finish. ($38) (I got a deal and only paid $26-Costco)
Next up was Four Roses single barrel. Not much of a nose, very little bite at first, but a tiny bit at the end. Good flavor, but dissipated quick. nice finish. Smooth drink all-in-all. ($36)
Last up was Basil Haydens. (my new favorite) Light smell, but good. Super smooth, almost no bite at all, and like a smooth saxophone, faded into a very nice taste. Flavor was very good, not to oaky.($38)

We are interested in taking this to the next level and finding a few bottles that will rival these. So far, in order of agreed likeability:
1. Basil Hayden
2. Buffalo Trace
3. Four Roses single barrel
4. Knob Creek

Oh, and the Basil Hayden had the best presentation with a cool bottle and label.

Thanks Carl, for bringing the other 3 bottles, that was nice, but the real prize is, you left them at my house. I promise I will keep a close eye on them. I cannot be held responsible for evaporation.

So please share any tips you may have for better bottles, but please, nothing over $100.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Black Maple Hill if you can find it is fantastic, almost as good as Pappy's.

Anything by Michter's, I like the Rye the best, very spicy.

Whistlepig is great.

Willet is inexpensive and very good.

Blanton's is another outstanding Bourbon.

I could go on and on. Start with those and invite my ass over.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Can't believe how cheap alcohol is over there in the US, blows my mind!

Seriously, connoisseur bourbon is just out of the question over here for a person like me. Just a bottle of 101 wild turkey costs like $60 Australian, its like under $20 over in the US.

You guys must be loving it.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The four brands you mentioned are all good.
Check out this guy's YT channel:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Well, we do make it so that is the contributing factor.

I bet if I wanted venomous and deadly wildlife it would be a bit cheaper in Oz.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

lol, wish I could say that was the case, but its the taxes. A slab of Budweiser and a slab of domestic will costs about the same for example like around $40 to $45, if the beers over 5% alcoholic your going to be paying like $80.

Nah, you guys got it really good like that, I'm incredibly jealous. Talking about connoisseur bourbons for under $50.
edit on 13-4-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I had a feeling you may have some input on this subject. I am going to try to locate a bottle or two to add to this collection. Some are kind of hard to find. Like Pappy's.
thanks for the tips, and you don't need an invite, just let me know when you'll be here.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I had a feeling you may have some input on this subject.

You implying something?

I am going to try to locate a bottle or two to add to this collection. Some are kind of hard to find. Like Pappy's.
thanks for the tips, and you don't need an invite, just let me know when you'll be here.

The Black Maple is as close to Pappy's as you can get, it is blended by the same company.

Try to mix in some Ryes as they have a very different flavor profile. They also make excellent cocktails.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Nah, you guys got it really good like that, I'm incredibly jealous. Talking about connoisseur bourbons for under $50.

I am sad for you.

Network and I should start a Go Fund Me and send you a care package. After we send ourselves one.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Just finished with those. Thanks much for the links. As a beginner, this is amazing to learn, but a bit overwhelming.

I really like the under $30 selection as a starting point. I'll update this thread as I find new and exciting bottles.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I had a feeling you may have some input on this subject.

You implying something?

Who, me? Never.

I am going to try to locate a bottle or two to add to this collection. Some are kind of hard to find. Like Pappy's.

The Black Maple is as close to Pappy's as you can get, it is blended by the same company.

Try to mix in some Ryes as they have a very different flavor profile. They also make excellent cocktails.

I'll see what I can find around here, but I am looking for sipping bourbon. My wife gets the cheap stuff to mix with her coke. Thanks again for the tips.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I'll see what I can find around here, but I am looking for sipping bourbon. My wife gets the cheap stuff to mix with her coke. Thanks again for the tips.

The Ryes make very good session Bourbons. The cocktail aspect is just a nice side benefit.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Enjoy it while you can, man. According to an article I read there's a bourbon shortage. Hopefully it's BS. Anywho, here's the link.

ETA: Four Roses was mentioned. They said they're having trouble meeting demands.
edit on 13-4-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The same thing happened with Bordeaux when the Asian market opened up. There are some Asia export only Bourbons that I grab when I am in the duty free shops or I know someone is going to visit Japan or China.

The challenge is the better Bourbons are over a decade old and it is hard to predict the market decades ahead of time.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Try angels envy, knob creek is good....makers mark is a go to. Gentleman jack is awesome, single barrel is better.

Um, woodford reserve is just candy, so good.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Pardon my gloating, but some of the discount clubs like Costco often have the huge 1.75 litre bottles of high-end stuff for around $40.00
(We're talking close to a half-gallon!)

You've got some incredible stuff there too. We might have better hootch prices, but I can't walk out into my back and see a goanna.

network dude...This is a fun thread. I recently joined a bourbon club that's sponsored by a local grocery store chain.
When you sign up, you get a great price on a gift set which includes a 750 ml bottle of your choice of bourbon, and 2
nice glasses. One of the sets had 2 of these crystal tasters.

To this day, I still haven't tasted Knob Creek, so I'll be trying it soon. A couple of the bourbon people said it has
a 'different buzz', (very potent) and you'd better respect it!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

To this day, I still haven't tasted Knob Creek, so I'll be trying it soon. A couple of the bourbon people said it has
a 'different buzz', (very potent) and you'd better respect it!

There are some cask strength Bourbons that are 110-120 proof and will beat you up and take your lunch money if you are not careful.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger
Knob Creek was my "go to" until we did this little experiment. I still like it, but have found that others have vastly different characteristics. This is the most fun I have had learning new things in a while.

BTW, after a morning job, I stopped by my local ABC store and found a bottle of Larceny for $27, so I grabbed it. they also had a bottle of Bookers in a nice wooden display box for $56. If the PC God smiles on me this week, and gives me a few quality breakdowns, I may grab that later on.

ETA: I asked about Blantons, and the nice lady said they have some on order, but aren't sure when it's coming in. She said she'd let me know.
edit on 13-4-2015 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus secretly works as a taster for Milwaukees Best brewery.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I used to be a Makers Mark man but then I found out that I liked Buffalo Trace better...just as smooth with more flavor. THEN I found Elmer T. Lee bourbon. That is my all time favorite. It's very hard to find because it's a single barrel and therefore limited production and the demand has far outstripped the supply. I think I paid in the high $30's for it.
If you can find Elmer T. Lee try it and then the next day go back and buy up their supply because it's not on the shelves long.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Got to love a good bourbon....sadly as another member pointed out bourbon here is not cheap unless you want the really garbage stuff......

Best one i have drunk is some my mate brought over that his old man brews...he called it essence of bourbon and it was super smooth,great flavor,no bite at all with a high percentage of alcohol....everything i look for in a woman...
...um i meant bourbon...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join