It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Tower Saga is a GO!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I love the series. I always pictured Roland as looking like a somewhat younger Clint Eastwood. Or maybe Bruce Campbell.
I hope they don't screw it up like they did Bag of Bones or Under the Dome.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Star and Flag for the information . Long time fan of the Dark Tower series.I hope they stick to the books as much as possible. I believe mini-series are in order...

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I love the series. I always pictured Roland as looking like a somewhat younger Clint Eastwood. Or maybe Bruce Campbell.

I think probably a "Bruce Campbell" type as in the Evil Dead , just a small bit more serious.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Under the dome failed because who wants to wait a year for the next installment. They should have just made the whole thing for one season. That story was not so complicated that it couldn't have been done. Very disappointing. And I loved the first season. The actors were believable and fit the characters very well but they should have realized that Americans have short attention spans.
Also the second season was not advertised like the first year. I kept forgetting to watch, couldn't find what channel etc. The first season I watched sequentially with On Demand but couldn't find it this season. So I never saw the second one at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: here4this

I liked Bag of Bones. Pierce Brosnan was good in the roll of Mike Noonan. The flash back scenes were well layed out and followed the book nicely.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ok I guess it's obvious I should change my name to Annie Wilkes.
Number one fan.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: here4this

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I think probably a "Bruce Campbell" type as in the Evil Dead , just a small bit more serious.

You need to remember that before the world moved on Roland was a member of a royal family. A crown Prince. Then he set out on his quest. So he's a gunslinger but one with a royal bloodline. His character is noble in many respects because of this. Who ever plays him needs an air of refinement along with the bad ass element.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: here4this
Star and Flag for the information . Long time fan of the Dark Tower series.I hope they stick to the books as much as possible. I believe mini-series are in order...

That would be the only way they could capture the epic saga. I mean the story is over four thousand pages.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I tried watching Under the Dome and was disgusted so I couldn't watch it anymore. The whole mini dome thing with the butterfly in it and other things that weren't in the book ruined it for me.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I have this one on my book shelf so I need to read it again. King books require arm strength as you know. I've taken to buying e book versions because a tablet is so much lighter. But i don't want to repurchase every book just to have an e version. King takes up three shelves in one of my book cases. I have seven. ( book cases) even one in the kitchen for recipe books.
I think that's one thing most ATS members share. We're all readers. .

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
In the comments section of the OP's link someone suggested that they make it into a series like GoT. I tend to agree with that idea. That would allow for better character development, which is something that movies always seem to lack. To add to that idea, I would hope that it would be done by HBO or Showtime. There is too much grit in these books for network television.

Oy!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Fireflysky

Another excellent Clive Barker book that needs to be something more would be "Imajica". That book blew my mind.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

OMG I only finished reading it all about 6 months ago from the start to the end. What a great set of books and hats off to Stephen King for sticking to finishing it. And what a great ending to.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I imagined Roland to look like an actor called Roland Gilbert. With dark hair and a worldliness that actor displayed. I never thought of him to look like Clint Eastwood. He would have been too slight a physical frame for my imagination not that Clint would have been a bad choice I suppose.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ettenurb

I read that as well, it would be a great concept. My only draw back on a series would be the dilution of the sheer gritty harshness of the story. It would have to be a showtime or hbo deal to truly do it justice. Best case for me personally would be an epic movie series on par with the Star Wars movies. I simply don't see how one could condense two realms, a cadre of colorful side characters, a universe of tie-ins, and a billy-bumbler into fewer than 12 full-length cinematic features. But that's just my wishful thinking.. hehe

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Yeah, they can be lengthy. That one was over 500 pages. You can get exercise your mind and body just by reading his books.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I tell you, what really will set the movie off is the casting of The Man in Black. There must be a chemistry. Javier Bardem would probably be better off in that role than that of Deschain, but would have to be complimented by an equally deep and stern-faced type. Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal), Vincent Cassel(Brotherhood of the Wolf) or Wes Bently(Hunger Games) could pull it off as well IMO. My short list of worthy Deschains would be: Clive Owen, Mark Ruffalo (don't judge me..hehe), Timothy Olyphant(Dream-Catcher), Nathan Fillion(Firefly)... you get the Idea. Jake needs to be an unknown with incredible range. Detta/Odetta I always saw as Angela Basset in my mind, but she might be out of the age-range now, though still beautiful IMO. Eddie the junkie... The list is endless for him, though Edward Norton, or Jared Leto, Sam Rockwell would be sweet.

I could do this for hours, so I'll stop there.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Good news!
I agree that Javier Bardem would make a great Rowland. Who do you think should play Susannah?
Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Wanda Sykes for Odetta / Susannah?
Anyone read anything similar and as good?
I am about ready for a new kindle title...
Thanks

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

His friends would be an interesting cast as well.

These movies will have to be long to really do it justice.

Man I got some re reading to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join