It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s Secret History: The Irish Holocaust

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
And as a resident of "Glorious England" you're certainly not biased at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gh0stwalker

I fail to see what that has to do with anything. For the record, Ireland is pretty damn glorious as well, as is Scotland, Germany, even parts of France
. I can only be in one location at once though.

Honestly, I try to offer a counter view, which is actually from a wide range of historical sources and is the accepted version of events wherever you look, but instead I get critiqued because I don't agree with an obviously biased and bigoted version which paints "the English" as genocidal maniacs, or worse, because I happen to put my location as "Glorious England". Grow up.

Well, that's ATS for ya... So much for denying ignorance.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

There's a stark contrast between a counter view and downplaying information because it doesn't follow your perceived narrative.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
And I don't know what sources your information come from if you don't believe the English have committed genocide in the past...

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

If you want to believe biased, one sided garbage, sure. I would recommend you do you're own research into the famine and you'll see it wasn't a genocide.

(And I will point out again, I have Irish ancestry, so they're mine too)

So something that you don't perceive to fit your way of thinking or sentiments toward a certain issue, is garbage? Schiller Institute is very reputative and well known think tank internationally. So between their reports and researches and your I say so because I know so because I cannot accept anything else view, I'm sorry but I take the first one.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

If you want to believe biased, one sided garbage, sure. I would recommend you do you're own research into the famine and you'll see it wasn't a genocide.

(And I will point out again, I have Irish ancestry, so they're mine too)

So something that you don't perceive to fit your way of thinking or sentiments toward a certain issue, is garbage? Schiller Institute is very reputative and well known think tank internationally. So between their reports and researches and your I say so because I know so because I cannot accept anything else view, I'm sorry but I take the first one.

Forgot to add:

The Schiller Institute is an international political and economic think tank, one of the primary organizations of the LaRouche movement, with headquarters in Germany and the United States, and supporters in Australia, Canada, Russia, and South America, among others...

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: eire91
And I'm a little pi**ed about the fact that Channel 4 (British television channel) creating a comedy show about the Famine/Genocide.

I can only apologise for that, but C4 often do TV shows (both factual and comedy) which are nothing short of inflammatory rubbish, from "100 Days of UKIP", to "Cannabis Live", to "Benefits Street" - they are all designed to elicit a desired response..

It's quite ironic, actually. C4 was set up as the "anti-establishment" TV channel but it seems more these days it tries to protect the establishment and hold the country back with garbage.

I've noticed that as of late C4 really seem abraisive to such sensitive issues like you said.. seems constant these days. Funny though I did find that not many here weren't that annoyed by it. A lot of people comparing the concept to the likes of Dad's Army about the wars years ago. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: Telos

Strange

Here in the UK its a big thing .

Maybe write to your school boards?

I think its something everyone should learn like slavery , holocaust , native american genocide ect.

We do learn about the Native American oppression, slavery, holocaust, etc, the first two as they occurred in the Americas. Lesser so are some of the histories of oppression in Europe beyond the basics. I am meaning of course in the K-12 system, not college level.

Many things are not taught here until one gets to the college level, such as American Imperialism, CIA atrocities, and so on.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Really Telos, it's hardly "Britain's secret history" at all, I was taught well about it at school in 1980's south Wales, and there's even a Wiki which covers it quite well, especially the bit about Ireland actually exporting plenty of food under armed British guard, food crops which would have fed the starving.
I was taught all this in school as part of our British history, but I feel no shame for any of it. I'm from a heritage of poor Cornish tin miners, and poor Welsh coal miners, who had # all to do with the decisions of the rich elite in the 1800's.
Same as I have # all to do with the decisions of the rich elite today.

Exactly the same in the Midlands 1980's we were taught exactly what happened to Ireland and how its population steadily declined throughout the nineteenth century.

The world was different back then. The vast majority of Englands population like the Irish population was treated like animals by the ruling classes. No education, no votes, the rulers didn't give a damn about their subjects.

I can remember our history teached telling us about Irish wheat yields being good during the famine and nearly all sent for export. Harsh on the starving

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

And as a resident of "Glorious England" you're certainly not biased at all.

What's wrong with that?

Would you be equally critical if an Irishman expressed their affection for The Emerald Isle in similar fashion, or a Scotsman for Scotland etc?

Yes, The Great Famine wasn't the best moment of English or British history but as stu quite correctly points out it was not a deliberate act of genocide.
Incompetence, greed, ignorance and bigotry all played a part.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

And I don't know what sources your information come from if you don't believe the English have committed genocide in the past...

Most nations have episodes in their history of which they can't be particularly proud when judging by todays morals and standards.

I think it would be worthwhile for some to research the excesses of the Spanish, French, Belgians etc.
Even non-Europeans have been, and still are, more than capable of committing horrific acts of brutality against peoples of different nationalities etc.

I find it pitiful that some justify their ignorance and bigotry today on the acts and deeds of hundreds of years ago.

And if its true that sons bear the sins of their fathers then I dread to think how future generations of Americans will be viewed and judged by non-Americans.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

First I have heard of this, saved, bookmarked and will be shared...

Ty

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: StratosFear

Your hatred is one I share also, at least you don't have the royals being paraded down your throat though like they are such beautiful, nice people.

Best I got is Obama shutting down the interstates and main roads during rush hour traffic while us regular folks are just trying to get home after a long hard day. Very similar situation it seems at times, these politicians pretty much act as if they are royalty.

True Story: For a few years I worked in the swimming pool industry and serviced high end clients and celebrities pools and spas, used to clean Mrs. Dolly Parton's lake house pools every week. Once had to do a repair job at the Governor`s mansion/castle/palace complex before a big extravagant party. One of the LED lights wasn't working and I had to get in the pool after lunch, had a few lunch brewskies (perk of the trade) and decided to not get out when I had to relieve myself.
Yeah, they was going to be swimming.

The amount of pool chemicals was spot on as I do not do a lax job so what I did had no effect but it still makes me smile to this day. Any chance I legally get I`ll stick it to "the Man".

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The political elite of this country really does have a shameful history. It strikes me as ironic that they now preach tolerance down the barrel of a gun when the reality is most of the nations we've screwed over have shown an overwhelming degree of tolerance and compassion towards us.

Maybe one day we'll get it together and stop it from continuing.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I didn't realise the Irish potato famine was supposed to be a secret.

I'd better contact the education authorities, as its taught in schools here. Not to mention all the history book publishers....

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Of course not. I have nothing against you, or anyone. We're all human and the same colors run through our veins.

However, whether its genocide by firing squad or slow, forced servitude and starvation... It's genocide in my book. Blood or not.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Evil prevails when good men fail to act. Stalin and Mao didnt directly kill most of their victims either... confiscating crops and watching people starve. Inaction is as cruel as action.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

The potato was introduced to Ireland during the 1600's either by Sir Walter Raleigh or by accident from the sinking of the Spanish Armada. They were grown for around 200 years in Ireland by the time of the famine.

The famine was a major contributor to the victory of the Union during the American civil war. Most Irish immigrants settled in Northern states which reminded them more of Ireland (plus where jobs might be had). Tens of thousands would join the Union armies and make a critical difference in a war that several times hung by the slightest of threads. Indirectly then, the Irish potato famine was a major reason why the Confederacy did not win their freedom.
edit on 23-3-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Peeing in Dolly Parton's pool was somehow "sticking it to the man?". I had a famous pool client myself - Jerry Falwell. Super nice guy in person but boy, did I hate his politics.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Heck I'd be clinically depressed if I started feeling bad for all the horrible things Britain has done to other countries in history. All that matters is now, and whatever we can do for the good, now.

Too true, for both parts of your statement.
More importantly though - happily hated? Who, why, when?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join