It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-religious people. How much to you fear death?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm 65, and some people I know have died recently.

It's easy for non-religious people to say death doesn't scare them, but I think deep down they are scared by it, as am I.

Just wrap your mind around what death means.

You are no longer you. You have lost the body that was a big part of you for ALL of your life. Your address is no longer. Your relationships are gone, including the ones you loved. Your way of responding to 3D is gone.

And if you still exist, you better watch out because your thoughts are no longer your own.

And you are in a world that doesn't recognize any of the signposts of this physical world. Forget all media you know. Forget the world map. Forget everything.

To be sent into this totally different world, (if that is what happens), is a very scary thing in the absence of angels.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Being scared of it doesn't make it come any later.

Death don't wait for no one.

Being non religious make me fear it less, don't have to worry about making sure I did everything "right" to get to some special place

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Honestly I am not scared of it at all. I don't even think about it.

Honestly mate if death is it.... like there is nothing else what is there to fear. There is nothing to look forward to.... so why even bother thinking of it... quit living your life in regret... I sure don't.. sure I've #ed up but i honestly can not change the past. The end is the end... maybe i will be gone tomorrow, but when i go i will have no choice and remember nothing. I could die while i type this.... I just don't think of it... I'm not religious, it's not regularly brought up... actually the last time this was brought up was by some one else who was religious....

So no, i'm not scared. nor do i think of it... i actually feel pretty free.

edit on 18-3-2015 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Are you young?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I am not religious. I can say i do not fear death at all. Welcome it or want it? NO!!! Want to preserve my life and the earth and humanities future. YES!!!

It is a fight against capitalism though.

Corporate profits at all cost are killing the planet and it's people.

link   

There is absolutely nothing I fear more.

I also think about it often.

It's easy for non-religious people to say death doesn't scare them

It is? I thought that was the domain of the religious and the promise of eternal life.

link   

You are making an awful lot of assumptions about a topic no one knows anything about. Yes, you are giving up your physical body as you've known it. But you cannot say that when you die, that it's the end. While I don't yearn for death, I certainly don't fear it. That's because I don't believe that death is the end. There's something beyond death.

And in the words of Peter Pan, "To die would be a great adventure."

edit on 3/18/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

link   

Middle aged.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I don't fear death, you are just permanently asleep it is the process of getting there. Is it going to be quick or agonizing.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Do i want to die . No . Am i afraid of dying , by a long and drawn out cancer , yes , tripping over and hitting my head on the ground not so much . It depends on how it happens to a great extent . I am going to die and i am OK with that . But is the world a better place for me having been in it . That is the question we should all ask .

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think it is easy to say you don't fear death when it is in the future. But when it is there before you, it is much more real.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I've always perceived religion solely as a creation out of the fear of death.

Fear it?

I welcome it.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I also think religion manifests itself primarily out of a fear of death.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
the only thing I fear is death and leaving my kids before they are able to make it on their own. I plan to either outlive them or if possible come back as a ghost to help them out when they need guidance. as far as fearing death for my own selfish reasons...nah not really. By then I will have had my time and it will be time to go.

I think I fear getting older and my body not being able to keep up with my interests more than anything else. I work out and train a lot just to be able to do the things I enjoy. If HGH ever becomes legal I am going to be all over it. Who cares about living forever when you cant do anything besides watch TV and veg out all day. heck I will probably take HGH even if its illegal when I get near 60 or so. Why not.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
I think it is easy to say you don't fear death when it is in the future. But when it is there before you, it is much more real.

very true. I think you just fight it off until your no longer able. turn the fear into something else. I don't plan to go out easily. life is too much work just to let it go.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Death is inevitable.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think death is returning to our natural state. Being born into this cold, harsh physical world would be much more traumatic. I think after death we will look around and say...I'm home.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

every one fears death unless there just ignorant and think there gods but it has become easier knowing that people i love have stepped before so i say to myself we all have to cross the road one day.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: vjohns1234

I think claiming to know what everyone thinks is one of the official definitions of Ignorance.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'm 47 and a lot of people around me have died recently, some my age and some older, so it has been on my mind also. I have always feared dying but death itself... once its a done deal, no.

You have been questioning a lot about aging recently and though I don't know your reasoning (beyond physical age), I always check out your threads because I am interested myself. Questioning is good but don't let it get you down.... ultimately nobody knows what happens.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join