It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long threads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Recently, I was having a nice debate on a thread that had just started.

Interesting topic, good atmosphere, intelligent discussion.

A couple of members chirped in that there was another thread on the same topic, so it was no surprise to anyone that the current thread wasn't long for this world.

Sure enough, on page 2, a mod comes along, closes thread, linky to earlier thread...and transported to one that was nearly 40 pages long.

Continuity broken, new people discussing new things, our own angle having been debated, dissected, and put to bed many pages earlier.

Convo over.

Quick browse through other thread titles...nothing grabbed me.

Log off, computer off.

Don't you hate that?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I guess sometimes life throws you a curve ball .

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think it's a tough one to call for the mods.

On the one hand they have to make sure everything does not get doubled up but as you say you can have 2 groups of people discussing the same subject in different ways.

It's kind of like a big pub, you can have different groups discussing the same sports game but with very different takes.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to the existing thread here.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

J/k.

Yes, it is very frustrating. I've been there myself. That's why it's so important to search before posting a thread. Although, if you are referring to the thread I think you're referring to; there are dozens of threads on that topic.
The OP should've taken a completely new/fresh approach to the topic to ensure that it would stay open.

However, as a participant in a a thread, we have no control over what the OP does, and if a thread gets closed because of someone else's mistakes... well it sucks. It's not a perfect system, but after years of trial and error it works for ATS, so we'll just have to make the best of it.

(Easter egg: Nothing stops you from bumping one of the old threads on the topic, and sending Personal Messages to the other members you want to invite to the discussion...)
edit on 10/3/2015 by Gemwolf because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Abso-bloody-lutely, sir!

Good point well made.

The point at which one enters a thread is crucial.

Too often I have posted a comment on a long thread not expecting - and not getting - any response, pro or con.

Because it's already been addressed!

BTW Good hat.

It erm...it suits you.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Yes i fell for it . I just feel stupid now .

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Oh, and it's even worse when you type a loooong, and very good response to a post in a thread, only to find that the thread has been closed by the time you click the Reply/submit button. And you realize no-one will ever see the masterpiece of a post you just typed up...

AAAAAAARGGGH!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Mods. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Would pretitleing a thread "An alternative take on the ...." work as long as you had one?

I saw SO leave a thread open as although the topic was being discussed the OP had worded it differently and raised a slightly different question.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf

Oh, and it's even worse when you type a loooong, and very good response to a post in a thread, only to find that the thread has been closed by the time you click the Reply/submit button. And you realize no-one will ever see the masterpiece of a post you just typed up...

AAAAAAARGGGH!!!

I only ever use ATS on my phone. Thank god that hasnt happened to me yet, that would be infuriating to have happen on ATSmobile, LoL

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Oh yeah.

That happened to me on the thread I'm talking about.

Wasn't a masterpiece, though.

If it's a good or long comment, I automatically save it to WordPad now.

Too many have been lost in the ether.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Would pretitleing a thread "An alternative take on the ...." work as long as you had one?

I saw SO leave a thread open as although the topic was being discussed the OP had worded it differently and raised a slightly different question.

Absolutely. It's really hard - and getting harder each day - to create a new/fresh thread on ATS (or anywhere on the Internet for that matter). With over a million threads on ATS alone, you can bet your hat that pretty much every topic has been covered, and with nearly 20 million posts on ATS, a lot has been said about all those topics...
So we encourage fresh and new approaches like its nobody's business.

And even if your "old topic - new approach" thread gets closed as a duplicate, you can always contact the moderator(s) and try and convince them that your approach has not been done. They'll gladly re-open the thread if you can convince them that it's new in some way or another.

edit on 10/3/2015 by Gemwolf because: Sp

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I have noticed a few people starting threads on old topics on the lines of "A fresh look at the..."

I thought it was a great way at looking back at older topics, seeing if anything has changed and letting members who missed it the first time get involved without other members claiming it's old news.

I see that SO is pulling up older topics for twitter and was suprised someone has not looked at doing it on the main site.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

New, but already understand your frustration. Maybe there is a way the mods can rethink this old absolute threads, wont hurt.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Exactly.

Also, if enough time has passed between a new thread on a topic and an old thread on the same topic, the thread may not be closed as a duplicate. New eyes. New ideas. New members.
Moderators are not machines (I know! Who would have guessed?) and typically every new thread is considered on its own merits. Adding something new to an old idea is a guaranteed win. And even better yet, if you link to old threads in your opening post to show that there are different discussions on the same topic and reference them, it shows that you actually used the search function and that your aim is to do something new.

We do however have to make peace with the fact that there are some topics where everything has been said and done. I can think of at least 10 from the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

ARRGGHHH!! Or when you do carefully search and add your comments to a long abandoned thread ... and nobody notices.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I wish people would Necro threads more often; the recent lists can be a little stagnant sometimes lol

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Well I know what today's session with my therapist is going to look like. Thanks for surfacing those memories Gemwolf! lol

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

ARRGGHHH!! Or when you do carefully search and add your comments to a long abandoned thread ... and nobody notices.

Or when a thread is closed and the already existing thread is a fur ball.

No thanks…

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Done that so many times...some of my best responses fall in that category.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join