It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What computer tutorials would you like to see?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hey everyone let me know what tutorials you'd like to see and I will try to do one a day.

Have a wonderful day!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
How to cut your finger off with a Nidec Beta V.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lobograndemalo

Ok. I used to use Win XP. Loved it! I was able to take out all the trash, if You get my meaning. Now I have Win 8. Not Lovin' it, yet. I want to get ALL the crap out that is not entirely necessary for proper function. I am ok with My Anti Virus and others stuff like that, which I have installed to My satisfaction. But I know there is a lot of stuff not needed. It runs good and everything, but I don't like unnecessary stuff in here. Just bugs Me knowin' it's in here. Ya Know? Thanx in advance for Helping Others!
Even if You do not do mine, just being willing to help out some others is very cool in My book! Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Overclocking ram.

Overclocking in general.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

AMD or Intel?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Overclocking ram.

Overclocking in general.

Don't get me started now...

Overclocking RAM usually isn't very fruitful, it gets you marginal gains in clockspeed, sacrifices internal latency, and has the most potential for destabilizing your machine. I personally don't recommend OCing your RAM, unless you're doing some serious benching (trying to get the highest benchmark scores, usually competitively in teams)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Anything to do with Photoshop or Jasec Paintshop pro interests me. That and Linux. I'm still debating making the switch to that. I think I'm afraid of messing something up if I do.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I use Windows, Linux, and OS X just about daily. If it wasn't for gaming I wouldn't touch Windows. I actually prefer OS X. It's Unix under the hood so it shares much in common with Linux. I think you should definitely play around with a couple Linux distros if you're not a big PC gamer. Many of the distros are very user friendly.

General maintenance and performance optimization for Windows, Linux, and OS X. Tutorials most could benefit from.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

So Linux doesn't work with pc games? What about things like Photoshop or Paint shop pro? Does the interface work like windows? I mean is there a desktop? Also, do you have to type commands to start a program or is it as simple as clicking an icon?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
over clocking cpu for sure. and how to get my vcr to stop flashing 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 would be nice!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
over clocking cpu for sure. and how to get my vcr to stop flashing 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 would be nice!

How to overclock your VCR?

I didn't know any of those survived past 2008...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

So Linux doesn't work with pc games?

If the games are developed specifically for Windows then there are workarounds to playing them on Linux.

What about things like Photoshop or Paint shop pro?

Photoshop would use utilize that same workaround.

There is also a comparable free program called Gimp. Although I am a Photoshop user myself, I think Gimp is more than adequate for most people. It's a great program.

Does the interface work like windows?

More or less. It has a graphical interface. This will vary among the different Linux distros. A popular one is Ubuntu. It's interface is quite friendly imo.

I mean is there a desktop?

Here is an example of Ubuntu's interface:

do you have to type commands to start a program or is it as simple as clicking an icon?

It's as simple as clicking an icon. There may be instances you'll need to type something in Command Line. There are massive amounts of directions/tutorials online for that. I wouldn't worry about that. All the typical things can be accessed via its graphical interface.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Wow, that's great! Thanks. Now for the ones I didn't think to ask: How easy is it to partition a hard drive so I can have both systems and is there any way at all to mess it up? I think that's what I'm most afraid of, messing up my hard drive trying to partition it.

ETA: Sorry if I'm derailing your thread, OP. It's just something I was curious about.
edit on 9-3-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Wow, that's great! Thanks. Now for the ones I didn't think to ask: How easy is it to partition a hard drive so I can have both systems and is there any way at all to mess it up? I think that's what I'm most afraid of, messing up my hard drive trying to partition it.

ETA: Sorry if I'm derailing your thread, OP. It's just something I was curious about.
it should be easy to partition a hard drive right within windows. When I played around with Linux that's all I did. I use my comp for gaming though... So Linux didn't work to well.

Edit: sorry I can't explain how to do it at the moment. Just wanted to let you know it's fairly easy and safe, so long as you don't format the entire drive.

edit on 9-3-2015 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

on Mac
how to get rid of all the duplicates of stuff (pics, docs etc) I don't know how it happens..

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Ubuntu is very easy to set up as dual boot if you want a taster. As for gaming, many Steam games now run on Linux...look for the penguin.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

What would be nice is how to make an image and reinstall an image of a fresh installed OS just after you installed all your usual programs. (Like Adobe, Autodesk etc alk that takes a long time. Like an offline restore point, ifvtgat is even possible. So you once in a while can make a factory reset and easily and fast can make a fresh and clean install.
edit on 10-3-2015 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: idmonster

I'll look. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I would like to know what steps I need to take in order to make my dvd/cd drive working. I got windows 8 installed but can not fire-up my dvd/cd drive. Probably an easy request for most but for me a complete mystery.

Can you... or anybody else... explain to me step by step what I must do to make it work?

Man.. I would love to instal a game again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join