It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning to speak Russian... starting today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I have a lot of time on my hands, so after a month of consideration I got the Russian version of Rosetta Stone. I've been terrible with languages in the past, but they were all taught in classrooms with inadequate teachers.

It took a lot of thought to decide on Russian, but it seems as though it will be a good return on investment for many reasons...

If you could take up learning a language, which would you choose? Do you think Russian is a good (yet tough!) choice?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Nastrovjie!

*scnr*

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FireflyStars
If you could take up learning a language, which would you choose?

Italian. It is so romantic sounding. I love the way it rolls off the tongue and how it sounds. And I love the Italian culture. I've been to Italy once (the mountains of Northern Italy) and loved it.

Do you think Russian is a good (yet tough!) choice?

Whatever makes you happy.

Probably the most practical choices for Americans would be to learn Spanish or Chinese or Arabic. Spanish because it's the most frequently spoken second language in the country; Chinese because it's THE connection for business now; Arabic because it'll be in high demand in DC and the defense/intelligence sector.

But if Russian makes you happy for personal reasons, then go for it. Good luck.

edit on 3/9/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I thought about Chinese (I was looking for something practical, which meant Arabic, Chinese or Russian). I just don't think I could make the right SOUNDS for Chinese. It seems too 'foreign' to me, meaning I don't have enough control over my mouth to make it happen. Heh

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I would definitely learn Gaelic. It would be a nice hat tip to my heritage and I've always loved the guttural sounds of it.

Good luck in your endeavor. I've always wanted to learn another language as well, but am too lazy (procrastinator) to even get started.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars
Chinese is definitely good for business. The classics (German and French) would be very useful too. Not just in those countries, but in their former colonies, and ex-pats abroad. Not to mention they used to be the languages of science!

Russian was too hard for me. But I can read the cyrillic alphabet. Do svidaniya, tovarisch!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Buongiorno principessa

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Buongiorno principessa

See? I melted at that and I had no idea what you said. I had to go babelfish it. And thank you, and good morning to you as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i learned to speak italian when i was a child and i'm fluent, and have to say that if it was a choice i would pick it again, the musicality of it is just second to none, it's just too beautiful, and my local dialect, sicilian, while very raw sounding, is incredibly funny.
but since i got that covered, probably hungarian, i studied the basics and it has that singing quality that the italian language has, i have almost no problem reading it now, but i have no clue what i am reading most of the time

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars
I have been taking Russian and Spanish lessons using the Michel Thomas Method. No paperwork at all so it is a great way to fill my day driving to different job sites and I'm not just wasting my time listening to music. I'm learning Russian as I will be going to Latvia hopefully in the near future and there is no Latvian language software that I have seen. Luckily a majority speak Russian as well.

To anyone that wants to learn a language I would recommend the Michel Thomas discs, it lays it out very well and is easy to do if you are on the road or have time to yourself.

Edit: I learned French (living in Canada) growing up in school and find that it makes learning Spanish very easy. Should be close to fluent by the time I head to the DR in September.
edit on 9-3-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Italian. It is so romantic sounding. I love the way it rolls off the tongue and how it sounds.

To me it sounds like this,

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I always wanted to learn Arabic or Mandarin...

But my brain cells do not collectively work well enough to add a new dialect to my lexicon.
Especially when it comes to their respective alphabets...

Russian is good...

Along with the 2 above and English, it's probably top 4 most common language used...
Good luck!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Russian or Chinese? Spanish if you are interested in South America?
edit on 9-3-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Interesting question. I studied French at school and am passable (my wife's is far better) but would love to brush up on it so we could go there on holiday and feel able to communicate effectively.

Many of my students are Polish and I think that would be the most useful especially with so many immigrants to the UK. I have made an effort to make my newly arrived students feel more comfortable by learning key phrases and words but alone it's bloomin' hard. I have my kids in stitches.

Having said that I would learn Gaelic - my wife is Irish and lost the language when she moved to Britain. I know it's something she like to start again. I suppose the real issue for learning a language like that is finding/being able to spend time in communities that still speak it.

Keep us updated as to how you get on FireFlyStars.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've been learning Arabic for two reasons. One is that I bellydance and it's important to understand the lyrics of the songs (so you don't choreograph, say, something cheery to a political or heart break song), but my main reason is that in my teens I found a very beautiful book of sufi poetry in English and Arabic. It gave me much wisdom and I always wanted to be able to read it in Arabic, to see if there is more to it. Long way to go but each step helps.

Good luck with your Russian!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I took Russian for a semester. (after studying the alphabet all summer).

Hard language to take, but I was doomed as the rest of the class were all Slavic taking it as easy college credit.

So, didn't learn much and dropped it.

I had two years of Spanish in High School. I can get by in it, but I'd love to become fluent in it, as it is getting near a necessity these days. Kind of my goal within the next couple of years. (and likely through Rosetta)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think I would be intimidated to learn Russian only because it seems like it's a difficult language to learn, although then again they say English is the hardest language! I took about 5 years of spanish in middle / high school but would like to become more fluent in it. I also studied chinese for a short time and was surprised that it wasn't actually that difficult to learn the basics! But good for you taking on a new language! It takes time and effort and I'm happy for you!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Read this excellent guide : "Fluent Forever", by Gabriel Wynder. It will teach you HOW to learn any language quickly. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Я также изучение русского языка.

I'm in the Air Force and one of the tools at our disposal is a free account to an online language tutor called Transparent.com

Я хотел бы практиковаться России, если кому-то интересно.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

It's meant to be one of the hardest to learn :O So long as its learnt at the pub with a pint in hand!

OP, I think learning Russian is a cool choice. Slavic dialect/language group is cool sounding!

You have inspired me to look into French, been threatening to learn that for decades.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join