It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: ISIS Attack Third Ancient Iraqi City

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When will this madness stop?

These fools have no clue at what they are taking from humanity. These sites in Iraq are some of the oldest and most interesting insights into our know human history. You can't fix this once it's gone.

It's sickening.

Gawker

The Iraqi government is investigating reports that ISIS have descended upon an ancient archaeological site at Khorsabad, according to the Associated Press. A Kurdish official from Mosul said that eyewitnesses reported that militants had begun demolishing the site on Sunday.

ISIS fighters have laid waste to two UNESCO world heritage sites—Hatra and Nimrud—in the last few days, which the AP reports UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon described as a "war crime."

From the AP:

Khorsabad was constructed as a new capital of Assyria by King Sargon II shortly after he came to power in 721 B.C. and abandoned after his death in 705 B.C. It features a 24-meter thick wall with a stone foundation and seven gates.

Since it was a single-era capital, few objects linked to Sargon II himself were found. However, the site is renowned for shedding light on Assyrian art and architecture.

The sculptured stone slabs that once lined the palace walls are now displayed in museums in Baghdad, Paris, London and Chicago.

On Sunday, Iraq's tourism and antiquities minister, Adel Shirshab, called for an emergency session of the UN Security Council.

"The world should bear the responsibility and put an end to the atrocities of the militants, otherwise I think the terrorist groups will continue with their violent acts," he said.

Huffington Post

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq's government is investigating reports that the ancient archaeological site of Khorsabad in northern Iraq is the latest to be attacked by the Islamic State militant group.

Adel Shirshab, the country's tourism and antiquities minister, told The Associated Press there are concerns the militants will remove artifacts and damage the site, located 15 kilometers (9 miles) northeast of Mosul. Saeed Mamuzini, a Kurdish official from Mosul, told the AP that the militants had already begun demolishing the Khorsabad site on Sunday, citing multiple witnesses.

On Friday, the group razed 3,000-year old Nimrod and on Saturday, they bulldozed 2,000-year old Hatra — both UNESCO world heritage sites. The move was described by UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon as a "war crime."

Khorsabad was constructed as a new capital of Assyria by King Sargon II shortly after he came to power in 721 B.C. and abandoned after his death in 705 B.C. It features a 24-meter thick wall with a stone foundation and seven gates.

Since it was a single-era capital, few objects linked to Sargon II himself were found. However, the site is renowned for shedding light on Assyrian art and architecture.

The sculptured stone slabs that once lined the palace walls are now displayed in museums in Baghdad, Paris, London and Chicago.

The Islamic State group currently controls about a third of Iraq and Syria. The Sunni extremist group has been campaigning to purge ancient relics they say promote idolatry that violates their fundamentalist interpretation of Islamic law. A video released last week shows them smashing artifacts in the Mosul museum and in January, the group burned hundreds of books from the Mosul library and Mosul University, including many rare manuscripts.

At a press conference earlier Sunday, Shirshab said they have called for an extraordinary session of the U.N. Security Council to address the crisis in Iraq.

"The world should bear the responsibility and put an end to the atrocities of the militants, otherwise I think the terrorist groups will continue with their violent acts," he said.

Gawker
Huffington Post

*Apologies ahead of time for the short post as I am at work and time is limited.
edit on 3 8 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's almost as if they want something hidden.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

These bearded barbarians will only be remembered as Destroyers.

While most of humanity wants to improve and leave the best of it self to the future, these fekktards destroy their own past.

They are acting like mindless hooligans but with infinite spite to take from the future.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Due these savages desecrating an essential piece of mankind and also waging ethnic cleansing and other genocidal acts, I wish the Sumerian gods would rain fire upon them.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It has to stop. Their ignorance knows no bounds.

It's a constant 1 step forward and 10 steps backwards with that cesspool of ridiculousness over there. The middle east used to be home to some of the greatest civilizations on the planet.

Where did it all go wrong with them?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This sickens me. So much history lost.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Heart breaking...

Just sick..

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Due these savages desecrating an essential piece of mankind and also waging ethnic cleansing and other genocidal acts, I wish the Sumerian gods would rain fire upon them.

I don't know about Sumerian gods, but I hope our resident military demi-gods will bloody start soon. Then let it rain salt just in case ...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
It's almost as if they want something hidden.

Every trace of Islam before we enter the next age. "Heaven" forbid future civilizations dig up this evil and re create the monster.

Which button indicates sarcasm?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ya I don't understand what drives them to do this, well I kinda do, they know people cherish these sites and know that destroying them will get a rise out of people.

But are they not destroying the history of their own people?
I know that is asking a lot of these savages and expecting to have rational thought but it just blows my mind.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger

These bearded barbarians will only be remembered as Destroyers.

While most of humanity wants to improve and leave the best of it self to the future, these fekktards destroy their own past.

They are acting like mindless hooligans but with infinite spite to take from the future.

They are human too and its my beleif that the press wants them protrayed as less than human. When people are less than human we treat them like less than human.

War in Sryia.. Funny that this time theres no antiwar movement. We are illegally in another nation and no one utters a word..

These are all propganda mechanisms. You cannot have a war machine without public support..

purp...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Quite true...

14 year old alleged ISIS sympathiser was handcuffed, sat on his arse, then his brains layed out in a hail of Assault Rifle bullets by Shia militants fighting ISIS...

Haven't seen a word of it in the media.

& the fear in his face told me he was in fact, very human!

Killers on both sides...
One sided story...

I want ISIS dead...
But I'm well aware of the atrocities against them too.

Before anyone comes crying about what they've done...

Not every single one of them has beheaded people...
Or burnt people alive...
Or raped someone...

Some of them have at most, exchanged gunfire with an enemy just as barbaric as themselves...

So crime me a river.

They're all #ing nuts.
edit on 8-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

They are human too and its my belief that the press wants them portrayed as less than human.

creaky post

Obviously.
The trigger on this thread is the destruction of ME heritage.

These creatures are depriving their own children of historic continuity.
The mess they are creating will be a period of shame to future generations in that locality.

I can already see the surviving apologists explaining that a 'collective madness took over and we thought we were making a new world ' A monument is put up….... and the world moves on.

Regarding the Syria war The Uk public are not concerned. As far as anyone is aware the military are broke, At best RAF only dropping off the occasional 'token bomb' as far as I am aware. I could be wrong

The argument that not everyone is beheading ect is valid of course...but just and how many are voting with their feet.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I totally agree man.

It's not just ISIS, it's the whole lot of them over there. It's been proven time and time again, soon as you squash one group another pops up behind them and usually the next group are worse than the last.

It's sad days we live in.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is so bad. The cradle of civilisation and its ancient history being erased.

Who backed the rebels in Syria? Who started funding and training them? Who supplied their weapons? Who stirred up the Arab Spring in the first place? Who initially invaded Iraq and destroyed a regime that was friendly and accomodating to its Christian and other minorities.

Western foreign policy regarding the Middle East has so much to do with the acts of Isis. Was the world really worse when Saddam was in power? Imagine Assad going the same way, Syria will surely follow the same fate

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That's what it's all about...

A bunch of terrorist groups fighting each other for sole control of the Land they inhabit (and more in some cases)...

There is no "rebels" fighting...

Only a few tribes and the Kurds could stand up to such scrutiny as just defending their land & others...

The rest want to control the land & others...

Sad.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

America is danged if we do and danged if we don't. Everyone whines and moans if we don't do something and hates us and then on the other hand they hate us if we do jump in an help. One group gets mad when we try to help another group. Everyone wan'ts ISIS eliminated, but as soon as we jump in to do it then here comes everyone bashing us for starting another war. It's and endless cycle. We try to give them the tools to fix their own crap and everyone wants to cry about that too.

I agree Bush going after Saddam was a bunch of BS, I will give you that one.

What is your solution to Americas involvement?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I know where you're comong from, America will always get the blame whatever it does. When I said the West I was also referring to Israel, UK and France too (not just the States) who all have a hand in the so called rebels in Syria.

Maybe we in the west do need to let Russia have its influence back in the region, let it keep Syria, let it get back involved in Iraq, things were at least kept under control then, but first of all let the Kurds have some form of independent state like the Jews got so they defend their Kurdish brothers around the Middle East.

Infact there is no solution to Americas involvemnt, I just wish they'd see Assad as better than what will appear if he is killed off, Assad is the final defender of Christian Assyrians, without him they will go the way of Iraqs Christians, so sad.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Makes you so angry to see this happening.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich
It has to stop. Their ignorance knows no bounds.

It's a constant 1 step forward and 10 steps backwards with that cesspool of ridiculousness over there. The middle east used to be home to some of the greatest civilizations on the planet.

Where did it all go wrong with them?

Islam induced inbreeding program.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join