It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Involved In Second Deadly Shooting...In A Week!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

The driver of a stolen vehicle died early Thursday after being shot at by a police officer in Burbank following a short high-speed pursuit, authorities said.

An investigation was underway after a driver was killed in Burbank following a short police pursuit on March 5, 2015, authorities said.
LAPD officers began following a grey sedan around 1:45 a.m. after observing the vehicle driving erratically in the area of Magnolia Boulevard and Riverton Avenue in North Hollywood, according to Sgt. Frank Preciado with the Los Angeles Police Department.

A pursuit was initiated after the car sped up. It lasted about 6 minutes and effectively came to an end when the driver turned into a “makeshift cul-de-sac” at National Avenue west of Pass Avenue in Burbank, Preciado said during an early morning news conference.

The driver and police patrol car then collided. At that point, Preciado said, the passenger officer inside the LAPD vehicle took out their gun and opened fire on the other car.

It was not known how many shots were fired, but witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots.

Authorities have not said if the driver was armed.

Source: KTLA

According to the LA Times, the driver was not armed and was not "ramming" the patrol car. It appears it was a collision....

Police initially said it appeared the man had deliberately rammed the vehicle. Further investigation showed "he was not ramming the vehicle, it was a straight collision," Preciado said.

Also, it's important to note that the man was unarmed...

LAPD Sgt. Barry Montgomery said, "There is no evidence to support he was armed."

LA Times

What in the world is going on in LA? Twice in the same week they have two officers who've shot and killed two different suspects. It seems these officer involved shootings are getting worse and are increasing in frequency.

I am convinced that this could probably happen to anyone. Take the guy in Florida for example...The officer "felt threatened" and it was said the man was "advancing" on the LEO, so he shot him in the face.

Deltona, Florida Officer Involved Shooting

When are the higher ups going to do something about this? A cop feels "threatened" or, in this case, is involved in a car collision, and they can shoot and kill the person??

While I don't break the law or do anything that would cause me to have a run-in with LEO's, it makes me think about what if I was pulled over and I inadvertently did "something" to make an officer feel "threatened" and they shoot me?

Does anyone else think about things like this after reading these news stories??

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I agree, this is getting to be a bit much. And I agree, something needs to be done about it.

What do you think should be done?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
a reply to: lovebeck

I agree, this is getting to be a bit much. And I agree, something needs to be done about it.

What do you think should be done?

I have no Earthly idea. Honestly. I am a caregiver...an empathetic, compassionate, altruistic type of person. I guess that is why I really do not understand, in many of these situations, how they can just pull out their service weapon and shoot someone in the face, head, torso, etc. It would take a lot for me to do that to someone. I'm not saying I wouldn't defend myself in every way possible if my life was in danger, but I don't think I could just shoot someone like that, especially if I had other officers around me and other NON-DEADLY weapons at my disposal.

What ever happened to using their taser? Or even mace/pepper spray? I just feel shooting to kill should be the LAST thing to cross their mind and it seems to be the first thing they do in these situations. Maybe that is the way they are trained? Who knows...

The homeless guy on Skidrow in downtown LA? It seems (so far) that he either had a weapon or got a hold of a LEO weapon and was a "real" threat.

But the guy in Florida who was shot in the face after he allegedly "advanced" on a narcotics officer when they were serving a warrant at 6:30 am? Wearing nothing but a pair of shorts? Seems to me some of these LEO's are using the perceived threat excuse and getting away with murder. Over and over again.

Judge. Jury. Executioner. These people never get their day in court to answer for their alleged crimes...

Body cams? Remedial training? Hiring LEO's after a thorough and extensive psych eval and background check? Hiring LEO's who have an education and not the bottom of the barrel, hot headed types might be a start...But, for some reason, it seems that most departments want those hot-headed, angry, temperamental, get 'em, types.

I might be totally wrong on that, I don't know. I wonder if there are any studies out there on the types of recruits they hire and the amount of officer involved shootings?

I do know that since this uptick in LEO involved shootings, I now get nervous when a LEO gets behind me in traffic and I have ZERO reason to feel that way. Like I said, I don't knowingly break the law other than sometimes breaking the speed limit here and there on my to and from work. If I am pulled over I am courteous and friendly and follow their instructions. I normally have no problems and rarely even get a ticket.

Luckily I haven't encountered many of the hot-headed types of LEO's. But, who's to say I don't encounter one tomorrow or the next day? One wrong movement that they may perceive as a threat and bang-bang. Scary stuff to think about indeed.

join