It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telling the moderators how to do their job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Why in the name of everything that is good do people post a thread and the very first or last line is this,

"mods feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if it doesn't belong here" or something similar

Aaaaaaargh!
Why do we have mods? One of their jobs is to move threads if they are posted in the wrong forum. So by putting up that line you are literally telling them how to do their job.

A current thread was edited by SkepticOverlord, here is his edit,

edit on 4-3-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: removed the annoying "Mods, please move this to the appropriate forum, should you feel it belongs elsewhere."

I think that says it all really, dont you?
The site owner finds it annoying

Can you imagine being at work and every day someone tells you how to do your job?
Wouldnt that be annoying? You bet your sweet behind it would.

So can we please leave the moderating to the moderators. Please?

Rant over.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge
Yes it is a bit silly to put it in there knowing full well that the mods will move it anyways. I sometimes think that people put it in to stop the other members from saying, "wrong forum" and playing mod. There are quite a few of those on here as well...

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
No one wants the mods to think we're stupid and can't figure out where a thread should go, so if we aren't sure and want to post, sometimes you put that tag there.

Sorry if it bugs people. It just basically means - I couldn't decide where this one should fit. Please move it if you think I was wrong about putting it here.

edit on 4-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Apart from the edit you quote, SO also posted an entire thread outlining his annoyance with the practice.
Partly based on the fact that it was always placed on the first line and so came up in searches.

SO thread- "Stop the madness"

edit on 4-3-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a post to: MODS

GET IN HERE ASAP!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Dont see the big fuss. Sounds like you're just nitpicking at little matters.

I recently authored a thread, under grey area, but I'm new and was not sure if this was the correct forum to post such content. . So before my lengthy thread, I left a mod note to move it where it may belong.

Prior justification that I may be posting something that may not belong. . Sorry that bothers you people.

Wonder how you handle all the other # that is crazier then tiny notes!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thats my whole point.
The mods will move it even if you dont post that line.

Do you not think you are telling them how to do their job?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

I handle all sorts of stuff very well thanks
I just think that people dont need to post that line as the mods will move it anyway

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: iunlimited491
a post to: MODS
GET IN HERE ASAP!

Wasssssup?

Honestly, it's not needed at all. We know you do your best to find the correct forum. It's no biggie.

Putting it in the opening line screws up searchs somehow. I was told what the problem is but I have forgotten. Something like it not being picked up by search engines (google, etc) or something like that. I can't remember so dont' quote me on that as a fact. m'kay??

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I wouldn't ever put it in the opening line. If I add it, it's in at the end.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
It's all good.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be in Board Business ?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Maybe asking the mods prior to publication would help.

Sorry my idea couldn't make it to the second line... lol

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
ALL MEMBERS: Important Notice On Creating Threads - Stop The Madness

Do you know what my number-one pet peeve with some new threads might be?

No? Well, I'll tell you.

It's threads that begin with something like this: "Mods, I searched and couldn't find if this was already posted, or even if I posted this in the right forum, so please feel free to move it or something."

Posted by our very own Skeptic Overlord in December of 2014.

edit on 3/4/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I agree that it get on my nerves too.

Every once in a while I'll add a note onto an OP justifying my choice of forums if there might be a chance of confusion, but I like to think I'm capable of figuring out where a thread belongs on my own.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

To tell you the truth, I don't even look at the forum icon, I just tag threads whose headline interests me. Whether it's in the wrong forum or not is definitely not my interest unless I'm looking for something specific. I know those tag lines asking mods to move their thread is kind of silly considering they will move or do whatever they want to do with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If this is the most annoying thing in your life, then you are lucky indeed.

I too have a pet peeve, and it's just a minor little thing......there is a ton of kiss-ups on this site who think that they'll be somehow rewarded or thought of as a better poster if they bow before the mods as if the mods were their masters. Seriously. Let your own words and offerings on this site do the talking for you. Their jobs are to make sure that T&Cs are followed, and that the threads stay on topic. Period. If you're good, you're golden here. If not, then the lack of stars will tell you so.

PS....I work in a job where we're all told how to do it quite a lot, because it's a gov't contractor, and they want to get paid. It's not a big deal. It goes with the territory. When you become a mod, you can complain ad nauseum about the cardinal sin of saying "mods, move if not in right forum". Until then, I call this a kiss-up.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
What are they freaking Ninja's or something?

At any rate I believe ninja exist, and they're on the front lawn trying to kill us!

edit on 4-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have to agree that first line is really annoying.

That said......

Remember: we can't be everywhere all the time. If you see a thread that you think is in the wrong forum, let us know! Even if it's your own thread.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

If this is the most annoying thing in your life, then you are lucky indeed.

This the most annoying thing in my life? What gives you that idea?

Until then, I call this a kiss-up.

No, its definitely a rant. My kiss-ups involve kissing up

edit on 4/3/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join