It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first ever photograph of light as a particle and a wave

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I always get fascinated by the fact that we might be living within this multiverse and that we are on many places at same time.After I read this new technology to capture images of light being in two different elements at the same time. I beginning to think that the holographic theory and the multiverse maybe are one and the same thing?

Quantum mechanics tells us that light can behave simultaneously as a particle or a wave

I then ask myself when does the light become one of things , is it like the double slit theory that when the observer looks at the light it can become something totally different as when we don't look at it?

While this phenomenon shows the wave-like nature of light, it simultaneously demonstrated its particle aspect as well.
As the electrons pass close to the standing wave of light, they "hit" the light's particles, the photons. As mentioned above, this affects their speed, making them move faster or slower.

This change in speed appears as an exchange of energy "packets" (quanta) between electrons and photons. The very occurrence of these energy packets shows that the light on the nanowire behaves as a particle. "This experiment demonstrates that, for the first time ever, we can film quantum mechanics - and its paradoxical nature - directly," says Fabrizio Carbone.
In addition, the importance of this pioneering work can extend beyond fundamental science and to future technologies.
As Carbone explains: "Being able to image and control quantum phenomena at the nanometer scale like this opens up a new route towards quantum computing."

What will come from this new method of quantum science and are we on the Virge of discovering that we change our world around us only by thinking and looking at it .?

Nevertheless Its a beautiful picture don't you think?

EPFL

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Does this lend more credibility to the John Titor story??

I can barely handle news about my universe, let alone a multiverse.

edit on 1425343889Monday31Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:51:29 -0600pmMonday5160631 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

There ARE some things in the universe, that we have discovered can be altered in their path, in their outcome if you will, by the mere act of observing them.

However, those things are, generally speaking, pretty bloody small. Tiny effects, on tiny things.

To translate that effect into the macro universe, into the wider story of human experience, would require vast advances in the science that we are working with today, such vast changes as would render them unrecognisable. Its a great idea, but it will take some doing... Serious doing!

However, it is amazing that we now have image data which illuminates the effect of light being both particle, and wave.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I always get fascinated by the fact that we might be living within this multiverse and that we are on many places at same time.

Well, we're not. There's only one universe. This one. How do I know? This is the universe we're conscious of, and consciousness and point of view is what makes a universe.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I wasn't expecting a virtual graph made with a computer. Kinda disappointing.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
While light may sometimes manifest itself as behaving like a wave, and sometimes manifest itself as behaving like a particle...

...I think the reality of it is that light is actually neither a wave nor a particle (at least not in the way we usually define those terms).

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
didnt somebody just posta thread yesterday saying that they have known light was a wave for a long time, the thread had somethin to do about 75mpg and getting around paying tickets or something, i cant flippin find it, would be interested to know what that person has to say about this

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

As the electrons pass close to the standing wave of light, they "hit" the light's particles, the photons. As mentioned above, this affects their speed, making them move faster or slower.

BS, light is not a particle, it is a wave.

Read, it excites particles, it was aimed at a different substrate. Does air have particles? IS not Oxygen and Hydrogen made up of proton electron and neutrons? What they claimed as the particle. What was the wire made up of? Was the temperate of the light enough to excite anything or make something out gas?

Not discounting any research that has been done. Just the conclusion they found.

I will be posting a real article later on this subject to clarify all the misconceptions.

Joke/ Scientists tested a frog. they cut off his legs. They said jump. The frog did not respond. They then concluded that when you cut off a frogs legs it then becomes deaf.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
HA, HA. I will make time for the article. I just want to make time and provide links to scientific research and facts outside my opinion or schooling, job experience ect... I have over a decade of working in R&D with lasers. Plus my research and logic. Get ready for all the proof you need. Time to put this myth to rest. a reply to: neomaximus10

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Over a decade you say, and yet no sharks with freaking lasers on their heads!?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

It is a very beautiful picture

What I'd like to throw at you is this....

Perhaps you're finding it difficult to divorce yourself from the thought that something must certainly be one and only one thing at any time. Either a particle, or a wave, in the case of light.

Are you familiar with the concept of Schrodinger's Cat? The idea that it is *possible* that the cat could be both dead and alive at the same time?

Think of yourself for a moment.

Are you simply just you, or are you a synergistic result of all the matter(carbon, water, iron, etc), thought, electricity, and emotion that goes into making you, you?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Communication lasers, ( front end of fiber optics ), fiber optics, Cutting, welding, ablation. All fortune 500 or better. Everyone has heard of the names. But i wont go there. a reply to: Chadwickus

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This was very child education friendly! Thank you good post.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony

I wasn't expecting a virtual graph made with a computer. Kinda disappointing.

Usually we think of a photograph as an image derived from photons in the visible light spectrum, but in this case the thing being imaged is the photon itself, which is why they use the smaller electron to map out the photon. In reality all digital photographs are really just a graph of RGB values made by a computer. In this case their sensors measured the forces acting on the electron to determine the image. In a digital camera it uses the detection of photons hitting the sensors to determine the image.
edit on 2/3/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
BS, light is not a particle, it is a wave.

Light is not a particle or a wave, it is a more abstract entity which possesses particle-like properties and wave-like properties. This experiment didn't prove anything that scientists weren't already completely sure of. The double-slit experiment is the best example of how a photon can act as a wave or as a particle depending on the configuration of the experiment.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Curious how it's a rainbow color.

Is that an actual picture or just colored that way.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Light is absolutely a wave form. There are different frequencies of light from Gamma ray to infra red. ( different colors ) Frequency's can be measured, they can be additive or canceling and filtered with other colors, just like radio or sound.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: roth1

Over a decade you say, and yet no sharks with freaking lasers on their heads!?

Exactly, wtf??!!

If I worked with lasers for over a decade, we would have freaking sharks with laser beams by now.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Well what if light really was a wave and a particle, what if it pulses between being a wave and then a particle, depending on its wave length . Like surfing along on the cusp of reality , now you see it now you don't. When the wave is widest, its a particle. When its a wave its time locked, then when its a photon its matter? When its matter , it has mass by definition, and can move things, when its a wave it goes through stuff.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Light is absolutely a wave form. There are different frequencies of light from Gamma ray to infra red. ( different colors ) Frequency's can be measured, they can be additive or canceling and filtered with other colors, just like radio or sound.

I didn't say light wasn't a wave, but you have to be very careful about the way you use the term wave here. Usually when we use the term wave we are talking about energy propagation through a medium. But light is not that type of wave, it's a probability wave which describes the probability of locating the particle-like photon in any given position. Radio waves are also made up of quantized photons just like visible light.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join