It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Members Be Required To Have An Avatar?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Rage and insults over a person asking a fairly innocuous question about avatars. LOL

Hashtag first world problems just reached epic new levels.

Why become indignant about something so benign? I

Yeah, I had to laugh at some of the posts on here. But we are on a conspiracy forum so it's not surprise that you'll get paranoid, anti-authoritarian attitudes shouting "you can't make me do anything maaaan!' and comparing forum avatars to forced microchipping and nazis sewing stars onto Jewish people's clothing. :wetotallyneedaneyerollingemote:

I don't think people should be forced to have an avatar, though. I don't even know of any way you could force people to have one other than making it a bannable offense to NOT have one, which would be ridiculous, or just having a default avatar that shows up for everyone who doesn't set their own custom avatar. But then you would just have half the people using the default avatar and it would be the same as them not using an avatar in the first place.

I personally like when people use avatars. They give a great sense of a person's personality, their likes, their attitude, , their sense of humor...and it's always cool to run into someone with an avatar from a TV show, a game, a comic or whatever that I also enjoy. Avatars give you a certain connection to a person and let you relate to them on a human level. In this online, anonymous world it's all too easy to forget that the person you're talking with, debating with, arguing with...is actually another real, thinking human on the other side of the screen. Avatars can help remind us of that fact.
edit on 3-3-2015 by Charizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Charizard

Best post in the thread.

You could require an avatar by making the assigning of one a part of the account creation process, but it's probably not something that could be retroactively forced on current members.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
My husband have been a member for a while now and does not have an avatar. Granted, he is more of a lurker than a poster, but he does post occasionally. They only way you are going to get him to have an avatar is if I hijack his computer.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Charizard

I've never understood the rationale behind having one purposely 'installed'...either way, folk are pretty much going to make MAJOR assumptions about 'who they're talking to' anyway - constructing a faulty mental picture of what they might be like, based on an avatar - How could anyone think it was in any way, any indication, of 'who they're talking to'?
Å99

edit on 10-3-2015 by akushla99 because: No edit

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Do you want the ability to tag people as well.
Come on this is not facebook, its a discussion site no one should be "required" to have a avatar. you say its not forced but required to me sounds forced.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

People pick an avatar for many reasons, consciously & unconsciously. Someone's avatar may not specifically tell me something about them, but it is still insight into something they like, relate to, or view in themselves. It is also a good visual aid to attach to someone's words. I always picture someone's avatar saying what they write.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: amraks
Do you want the ability to tag people as well.
Come on this is not facebook, its a discussion site no one should be "required" to have a avatar. you say its not forced but required to me sounds forced.

I dont use facebook, what is tagging?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I don't have an avatar because I can't be bothered learning how to put one on, or taking the time to try and find some picture that says something about me, that idea seems a little weird. It also just gives people something else to judge you on, and make assumptions.
I've had a poster jump from calling me an effeminate man, to a butch woman based on making assumptions about my sex. It can be very revealing how people judge you on here.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Instigating the insecurities of others is one of the major perks to being on ATS in general, more reason to have a controversial avatar imo

People feel better about themselves when being judgmental & condescending. It makes me feel good to make them feel good.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

People pick an avatar for many reasons, consciously & unconsciously. Someone's avatar may not specifically tell me something about them, but it is still insight into something they like, relate to, or view in themselves. It is also a good visual aid to attach to someone's words. I always picture someone's avatar saying what they write.

The only part I could reasonably agree with what you've written, is the last sentence. To assume 'insight' on the basis of a phrase, avatar etc, would seem a step toward forming a picture in your mind that may bear no resemblance to an actual person...I'd say, you knew what I was saying...just sayin'...

Å99

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

The only part I could reasonably agree with what you've written, is the last sentence. To assume 'insight' on the basis of a phrase, avatar etc, would seem a step toward forming a picture in your mind that may bear no resemblance to an actual person...I'd say, you knew what I was saying...just sayin'...

Å99

I did know, & agree with the concept behind your concept. I'm glad we were able to have a non aggressive back & forth, something which is seemingly harder & harder to do on ATS lately.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Walter I agree here with You totally!! "I do like them though, they bring an element of personality."

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join