It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it OK for blacks to self-segregate themselves, and why is it acceptable?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This has always bothered me and I would like to know what ATS thinks. WHY is it OK for there to be a television network BET(black entertainment television), or say a African American College Fund? And lately I have seen Black People meet .com. and other blacks only things. Why is that acceptable? What if there were a White people meet .com? Or White entertainment network, a White college fund? It would NEVER even be considered because of the backlash that would come from it. The cries of racism, the rioting, the violence, and the cities that would burn! So WHY is it socially acceptable for the blacks to do this? Why is there no outrage from whites, or other races? I remember reading a story a few months back of a white college student posted some kind of ad or flyer about a whites only club or something, and it was on nationwide news and the kid eventually said it was some kind of social experiment I believe? So what are your thoughts on this ATS? Is this acceptable? In my opinion it is racism and is very unacceptable. It is even getting to the point where actresses/actors Hollywood directors claiming that they are not winning awards because they are minorities. Im sorry, but this kind of stuff actually disgusts me. Thoughts?
edit on 22-2-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

I don't think there is a problem with it per se. That's freedom of association. Where the problem starts is with the double standard. Why should they be free to associate freely only among themselves (as do other special interest groups), but when whites want to do it, it suddenly becomes an evil thing.

It's the double standard that we all refuse to acknowledge in polite society.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Well for BET isn't there CMT? and for blackpeoplemeet.com isn't there J date? (now days there are lots of different classifications for dating site)and I thought the actor who was making that point was talking about more of the kind s of black movies that win are only depictions of slavery. And black people in a more service role. ( like the help, 12 years a slave.)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

This thread again...

And of course you need to try and prove you point with some extreme of rioting and violence and cities burning while presenting a hypothetical.

It disgust me that it bothers people so much, like a website and a TV network are such a huge deal.
What would you want on white entertainment television btw?

The college fund/ affirmative action point is almost valid if our country didn't have such a crappy past that we are all just not supposed to talk about.
/flame suit on

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't think there is a problem with it per se. That's freedom of association. Where the problem starts is with the double standard. Why should they be free to associate freely only among themselves (as do other special interest groups), but when whites want to do it, it suddenly becomes an evil thing.

It's the double standard that we all refuse to acknowledge in polite society.

That was a great assessment. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind if they choose to associate with only other blacks, but in the society we live in today, it seems to me that blacks and even other minorities are given more freedoms than whites. I believe that ALL people are just that, people, no need to say a color or race (unless trying to identify someone). Were just people....

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have to give a big ol' Lana, "Noooooope!" to this one...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
And doesn't a white person own BET now? I could be wrong about that. though

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

No No were not JUST people we each have our own unique cultures but we are all equal

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This thread again...

And of course you need to try and prove you point with some extreme of rioting and violence and cities burning while presenting a hypothetical.

It disgust me that it bothers people so much, like a website and a TV network are such a huge deal.
What would you want on white entertainment television btw?

The college fund/ affirmative action point is almost valid if our country didn't have such a crappy past that we are all just not supposed to talk about.
/flame suit on

Yep, this thread again! Why bring up the violence, looting and rioting? Well, when was the last time any whites, or even other races for that matter rioted and burned down businesses? Seriously, they get special rights because of "our countries" past being so messed up? Do some research on slavery and its roots sometime, you would be surprised of what you may learn. Also, to answer what I would want on white television? Nothing...I dont think there should BE a white channel. If you actually read the OP, you would see that I think there should be NO SEGREGATION of any kind...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Their are dating sites that segregate or separate on almost every religion and race.
Their are multiple networks that exclusive to a race, nationality or gender.
I mean I could sit here and say "why is their a christianmingle.com" , that seems unfair to anyone who is not a christian.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

That's not the point. The point is that it's perfectly acceptable to have organizations set up exclusively for some groups, but other groups can't have their exclusive groups. Or if they do have a group for them, it is constantly under attack for being exclusive, er, exclusionary.

I am thinking about The Boy Scouts or the Country Club with male only membership.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A white person owns BET?
I would not doubt it, does not make it right though does it?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Their are dating sites that segregate or separate on almost every religion and race.
I mean I could sit here and say "why is their a christianmingle.com" , that seems unfair to anyone who is not a christian.

They have Muslim dating sites, too. They must. I keep getting ads for dating hot Muslim women showing up in my sidebars and the website name if of distinctly Muslim flavor.

But if you are trying to come up with a compatible mate ... then factors like race and religion can be extremely important.

But again, as I mentioned, I'm not opposed to exclusive groups. I'm only irked when people throw up the double standards over it.

link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
This has always bothered me and I would like to know what ATS thinks. WHY is it OK for there to be a television network BET(black entertainment television), or say a African American College Fund? And lately I have seen Black People meet .com. and other blacks only things. Why is that acceptable? What if there were a White people meet .com? Or White entertainment network, a White college fund? It would NEVER even be considered because of the backlash that would come from it. The cries of racism, the rioting, the violence, and the cities that would burn! So WHY is it socially acceptable for the blacks to do this? Why is there no outrage from whites, or other races? I remember reading a story a few months back of a white college student posted some kind of ad or flyer about a whites only club or something, and it was on nationwide news and the kid eventually said it was some kind of social experiment I believe? So what are your thoughts on this ATS? Is this acceptable? In my opinion it is racism and is very unacceptable. It is even getting to the point where actresses/actors Hollywood directors claiming that they are not winning awards because they are minorities. Im sorry, but this kind of stuff actually disgusts me. Thoughts?

Minorities often self-segregate because the majority doesn't necessarily recognize their unique cultures or taste. It has nothing to do with racism.

The reason you have BET is because black people typically have difference taste in entertainment than the majority. It is no different than Telemundo or some other niche network based around a narrow set of criteria.

The reason you have black colleges is because in case you forgot, black folks generally were not allowed to attend white colleges. Most black colleges are nearly 150 years old for this very reason. However, white people are not prohibited from attending black colleges. The student bodies are just majority black.

As a minority myself, I would look at suspicion at a "whites only" association because quite frankly, most things are geared for white people whom represent the majority so there really is no logical reason to have whites only anything.

link   

originally posted by: opethPA

You are right. But do you think it would be OK for there to be one of these groups for WHITES only? You dont think there would be any backlash?

link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

No No were not JUST people we each have our own unique cultures but we are all equal

Actually some are more equal than others. As a white male, I see racial discrimination everyday. Even against Native Americans. I guess they should stay on the Rez.[/sarc]

edit on 22-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

So wait what are you saying since Ferguson and maybe Katrina black people are now strictly the only race that riots and burns down things and are violent?

And you using that word "they" alot

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Well, when was the last time any whites, or even other races for that matter rioted and burned down businesses?

When their favorite sports team won or lost a game.

I am not talking about slavery, I am talking about the very real institutionalized racism in our country that our own government encouraged and participated in.
Not talking 200 years ago here, talking little over 50.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

So wait what are you saying since Ferguson and maybe Katrina black people are now strictly the only race that riots and burns down things and are violent?

And you using that word "they" alot

Did you forget about Watts in the 60'S as well as several other cities across america? Did you forget about the Rodney King incident? No, it is not exclusive to just post Katrina, it goes back SEVERAL years!
ETA: Yes, I am using the word they a lot...is that now frowned upon? Can I still call white people they?

Here is a list of the many, many city burning riots...en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Actually, I can start to think of some. These days, it is increasingly difficult for us to have things that are celebratory of our own culture without being hounded for it. We are not allowed to be proud of being who we are. You know, all the constant reminders to check our white privilege.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join