It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Cover : Pink Floyd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yup, it's me again. Got another tune uploaded to soundcloud. Comfortably Numb this time. Learning the solo for that song has always been a goal of mine. Gilmore plays it with such passion, I'm sure anyone who likes that song gets a goose bump or two when the solo comes on, so I learned it. Of course, I had to learn the rest of the song to make it worthwhile. No point learning a song and not playing it for anyone so here it is. Hope it's ok
soundcloud.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Sounds great but its hard to surpass Gilmore but good job and a credible rendition of a great song and solo.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Good job. I appreciate the effort to learn that solo.
Did you mix and produce it with a multi track recorder, or a digital audio workstation?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

iphone app. Two of them actually.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It's ok. Man, I hate being that guy... Your friends and family will tell you its super good, but I'm just going to lay it out there for you so you can actually improve otherwise there's not much point. Ok, first things first, the tone is very lackluster, which will eventually be better as you can invest in better gear, but it sounds very 'digital'. Nothing beats a nice valve amp, but thats when it gets pricey. Don't worry about that so much.
What you can do for now to improve is start tapping your foot. Sounds dumb, but it will help your body feel the timing because your timing is way off in lots of places. Sometimes too rushed, sometimes too slow. So get a click track going and tap your foot to it. You will get there with practice practice practice. No easy way or shortcuts. Then those notes that Gilmour tells a complete story with will become second nature to you.

There may be backing tracks of CN on the net. Practice over that a few times a day. But for now, the timing is so out that I had trouble enjoying it. Sorry for the downer, but it's the truth that is hard to hear. However you will improve no doubt with more work so please don't take this the wrong way! *hugs* Now get back on that guitar and never give up!
edit on 18-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

edit, heres one to work with.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

wow ok, timing that bad eh? Will say it's only been a week with the solo so far. #ty, but good to hear regardless.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Honestly, yeah. I'm so sorry! But for only a week, it's a phenomenal effort. Imagine how sweet you will have it down pat in a years time. Urgh. I feel terrible, but I feel people need honest feedback with their music. I thought I was good, it wasn't until I went back a year later and listened with fresh ears to what I thought was good but turned out was pretty ordinary at best. I just don't practice enough to ever get good enough... Maybe I'm bitter!? But I wish my folks had been honest about how I sounded, because it set me up for failure...

They told me I was good enough to produce my own stuff, take to tv companies, movie studios etc. So, I'm thinking, wow I'm good enough but I have to have quality recording to make it better to sell. So I spent 10 more years upgrading - 'this 8 track mini disk recording is the key to success'. I'd get it, struggle for a year to have anything sound crash hot, then decide 'I need more effects' then 'I need a better guitar'. etc. Now I've got so much equipment, I realise I should have just concentrated on playing. Oh well, but I want my steps in failure to help others.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Certainly good equipment is a major part of a nice professional sound. I'm using a $400 Epiphone and an iphone app digital amp. The strings go out of tune frequently and the iphone 16 bit recording isn't studio quality. However, there is a great selection of amps. There's a thing I say, it doesn't matter what you play, just play it well.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That's really good. Are you in a band?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Nope. But I'm actually trying to find one to play in. Not quit my day job, just for fun. So I'm building a portfolio online. Couldn't do that back in the 90's

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Cool. You might put an ad on social media if you use it or even in the paper. Good luck. If you do get into one, make sure you post your music here so we can all enjoy it. Keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19021174]FlySolo[/post

That in and of itself is amazing ! Superb job...Cant imagine the pains it took...just watching Pink Floyd do it back in the day with some of their makeshift equipment leaves me in awe...thinking of some older albums...but to put it together with some apps is astounding...will listen again to appreciate the hard work and the musical skills...I'm jelly !

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Longtime lurker/First time poster. Nice job! Keep practicing. I wish you all the best...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Gilmore used a tube amp and ran a big muff through it. Hard to balance a driven tube amp and a muff without a bunch of feedback but if you can find the sweet spot it gets loads of sustain.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: StopLookingAtMe

Cool, I forced a first post from a lurker. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Yo. Check it
soundcloud.com...

I took your advice and grabbed some decent backing tracks. Just the solo parts. I would have kept on going but it had to end sometime. Since this OP, I actually forgot it a bit but a quick practice brought it all back. I think I nailed it here in this recording.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Way better effort!
Considering how hard it is to achieve a Gilmour tone you've done a very respectable match especially for using the iphone! I'd really love to hear you jammin this now but in a proper band setting with a HiWatt amp like he uses live, nothing gives that valve warmth and feedback which is the only thing still missing slightly from your effort. But again, considering you're using an iphone app, you should be rightfully proud of this version.

Can it be improved? Yup always room for improvements! I'd mix your guitar level slightly softer, not by much though but just enough to keep everything else at a similar level. It should still cut through pretty well because it sounds like that backing track has left a good space in the freq range for the lead part. Also, I'd maybe up the gain a little in your app to try and get the amp overdriving a little bit more, just try and get a little more grit if possible. (I'm super picky)

Then? Well, to be honest - time to throw off the shackles! It's such a well known solo that you can try flirting around a bit, change it up a little with your own style because this new version shows you have a pretty decent feel for things. Don't stray too far, always stick to the spirit of the song of course but at the same time there is plenty of room to experiment a little here and there.

Just remember that Gilmour (prepares for the haters) puts way more feeling into one note than Yngwie Malmsteen manages in six hundred showing off notes. It's all about that feel.

Anyway, I tip my hat to you and good on ya for this incredibly superior effort. Huge improvement!

new topics

top topics

join