It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider set for March restart at 13 TeV

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

but with todays tech it would be much safer to do it the ole fashion way mixed with todays monitoring tech.

one could likely get more data for less money too.

What "monitoring tech" would that be.
A crystal ball that says a cosmic ray of 17Tev will strike right there at 15:31 GMT on February 21st?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It is not hard to figure that the lawyers were hired to try to stop this happening.

Are you claiming that everything in the article is purely from lawyers and they were not contacted by people in the know.

It is a lawyers job to present such evidence to courts and they did not create the info but are representing it in court.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If there is no danger then why deflect from the info presented by making the claim underhandedly that it could not be true because a lawyer said it.

Why not just adress the info and not the messenger?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

but with todays tech it would be much safer to do it the ole fashion way mixed with todays monitoring tech.

one could likely get more data for less money too.

What "monitoring tech" would that be.

A crystal ball that says a cosmic ray of 17Tev will strike right there at 15:31 GMT on February 21st?

yea i have two of them if you want to buy the first.

I am not a tech guy but i suspect that in the collider they are not sticking their heads inside the rail to watch.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It is a lawyers job to present such evidence to courts and they did not create the info but are representing it in court.
There is no court case.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
If there is no danger then why deflect from the info presented by making the claim underhandedly that it could not be true because a lawyer said it.

I've worked with lawyers on technical issues.

It's a rare one that can format a drive, much less understand particle physics.

It's not that they're stupid, it's just that their main strength doesn't lie in maths and hard science.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
BTW, here's that piece the attorneys wrote:

Plans for resuming the RHIC experiment are being made and there is some reason to think this next run will present elevated risk. Collisions will be run at a low-energy level, and physicists consider this mode of operation to be more likely to produce strangelets.

www.ibtimes.com...

The LHC is going for high energy levels. So, no worries.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No there is no court case.

Seems they were hired to simply ask for a new risk assessment before going foward.

There should be a court case but where i do not know.

This thing has produced tempatures hotter than the sun.

That is nothing ordainary and is not found naturally anywhere on earth.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

BTW, here's that piece the attorneys wrote:

Plans for resuming the RHIC experiment are being made and there is some reason to think this next run will present elevated risk. Collisions will be run at a low-energy level, and physicists consider this mode of operation to be more likely to produce strangelets.

www.ibtimes.com...

The LHC is going for high energy levels. So, no worries.

not surprising that confuses me.

the strangelets are more likely under high energy but the collider will be low energy or do i have that backwards?

What if we are wrong about this?

We will be compacted and you will be closer to me?
edit on 8-2-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Again, the Earth is constantly struck with proton cosmic rays with velocities all over the spectrum, from less than LHC will use to billions of times more.

No strangelets.

No black holes.

No doom.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think you all are out of your minds!

This produces the hottest tempatures ever recorded on earth.

This comes with a possibility that earth could be compacted to the size of a football field.

Then you all say there is nothing to worry about?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

This comes with a possibility that earth could be compacted to the size of a football field.

Travel times will be short. So it's got that going for it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Again, the Earth is constantly struck with proton cosmic rays with velocities all over the spectrum, from less than LHC will use to billions of times more.

No strangelets.

No black holes.

No doom.

that little pesky matter of billions of degrees of heat produced does not seem very common.

Someone came up with the term strangelet for a reason.

really this is just a giant trash compactor set to crush earth if we make any mistakes in calculations.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

This thing has produced tempatures hotter than the sun.

Um. That's not that big a deal. Especially when you are talking about the "temperature" of single atomic particles.

That is nothing ordainary and is not found naturally anywhere on earth.
Are you sure?

What's five times hotter than the sun and capable of sending a DeLorean back to the future?

Yep, the answer is a bolt of lightning, which can reach temperatures of roughly 30,000 kelvins (53,540 degrees Fahrenheit). The sun, on the other hand, is eclipsed in this case — its surface temperature is just 6,000 kelvins (10,340 degrees Fahrenheit).

news.discovery.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

ok i am going to assume you are posting truth and the delorean was just a joke wrapped up in science fact?

Hard to tell what truth is when you mix fiction and non fiction.
It kinda says everything you post could be fiction.

Perhaps i should just erase jupiter or randomly wipe out colors of the rainbow?

One of the world’s most powerful particle accelerators, which is capable of generating particles hotter than four trillion degrees Celsius, has come under the spotlight after experts have warned that micro black holes and strange matter could be generated.
hotter than 4 trillion degrees seems a bit hotter than what you mention.
edit on 8-2-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Perhaps i should just erase jupiter or randomly wipe out colors of the rainbow?

Ok.
Whatever that's supposed to mean.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

It was as relative to the topic as a link talking about a dolorean going back in time.

Point remains that the hottest tempatures ever recorded on earth are manmade by something capable of smashing earth into the size of a football field and you all state there are no worries.

You all may need to check yourselves before you wreck ourselves.

All scientist need to get laid now before they destroy us all.

If you come across one then help them out because they have drifted too far from reality even for my standards.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

that little pesky matter of billions of degrees of heat produced does not seem very common.

Are you old enough to have had a color TV with a CRT? The electron temperatures at the screen were about 300 million degrees K.

Someone came up with the term strangelet for a reason.

Sure. It describes a type of particle.

really this is just a giant trash compactor set to crush earth if we make any mistakes in calculations.

And yet, in the history of the universe, it has never happened.

Risk assessments are all well and good, but the “doomsday risk potential” of any particle accelerator is infinitesimally small, compared to the high-energy particles that are being naturally flung around the Universe and colliding with our planet every second. Our planet is bathed in high energy particles across the whole spectrum of energies; of the billions of years our planet has been in existence, if the strangelet chain reaction is real, we shouldn’t be here.

But critics — particularly those who are not experts in the field of high-energy physics — will always have the loudest voice because no matter how tiny the hypothetical risk, they will argue that if the consequence is the end of the world, that’s a real risk that we cannot ignore.

Unfortunately, over-hyping the perceived risk of disaster can also cause unnecessary worry and may, ultimately, stymie scientific breakthroughs in high-energy physics.

Linky

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a strangelet or more precisely a certain theoretical species of stranglet among many might be a problem.

but making indescribably tiny blackholes or wormholes that also die in an infinitesimally small amount of time isn't a problem because they can't eat anything before they disappear in a puff of hawking radiation. a pity- because if we could actually do something with them in the time before they disappear it would solve all of our long distance travel problems. but they are too small to detect and are too brief to detect. let alone try to stabilize and stretch out.

The type of stranglet that might cause troubles is either highly unlikely to actually exist or requires more energy than the best collider can manage. if this were not true we would already be dead since more energetic collisions than the colliders can manage happen by the trillions everywhere around earth all the time from the very beginnings of the planet. if a stranglet of the requisite type were even slightly probably it would have already happened and consumed us.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
13TeV restart in March got me thinking they are restarting on Friday 13th, March. Bad lucky day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join