It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halal slaughterhouse staff investigated over alleged animal cruelty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Undercover video shot by an animal welfare group appearing to show the brutal treatment of sheep at a Yorkshire abattoir has rekindled the debate over whether animals need to be stunned before they are killed.

The footage gathered by campaigning group Animal Aid shows sheep being kicked, threatened with knives and thrown into solid structures. In one case a worker appears to be pinning a sheep’s head down with his foot.

I like eating meat, but have high expectations that the animals that I eat are treated with respect and to high standards of animal welfare. In fact, I source my food with those principles in mind. However, in reality the way an animal is slaughtered is not described on the packaging, which is why most of my meat comes from a butcher who knows the score.

In halal slaughter, the animal is not stunned prior to slaughter, so suffers added stress at the end of its life.

I have for some time felt that the practice of halal slaughter is an affront. It compromises the welfare of the animal for Muslim and Jewish religious sensibilities which is wrong. I am not alone, but it seems we are forced to pander to a minority sentiment.

I would like to see the UK implement a non halal code for all abattoirs in the UK. If people want their meat from uncivilised and cruel practices they need to import it - at cost - from elsewhere.

Independent< br />
The typical distorted defence saying the animals are happy

Animal Aid

One of the current petitions

The other petition doing the rounds

Regards

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Pathetic scum bags with zero empathy or compassion. You are judged dear readers not by how well you treat equals but how you treat the helpless and the silent.

Empathy is a learned trait please invest time in teaching it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Bastards like that make me sick, id like to kick them about..(not likely, im in a wheelchair most of the time!), im a meat eater, but killing animals need to be humane. I have no problem with halal meat or muslims, these are just sick f#@kers who need to sorted out, by hand, then by court.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Kosher slaughtering is rather unpleasant to watch too. Cut the throat while alive so that the blood pumps out.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah, but they've got to be killed somehow if we are going to eat them.

It's better than a thousand people stabbing them to death with forks.

In kosher, there is one guy who is specifically used to perform that. But I worked once in a turkey processing plant, they hung the birds upside down and shocked them also.

Your Butterball turkey and Eckridge turkey slices have been killed the same way.

Perhaps it is better if we went back to the old ways and let hunters run them over cliffs?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Killing for personal consumption is one thing and the necessity of it is easy for the psyche to justify.
Killing on an industrial scale like abbatoir workers do seriously messes with your head, if you think whats described above is exclusive or even more common in any one religions or countries slaughter houses you are kidding yourself.

Sadly doing what they do makes them desensitised and even go slightly insane, its a wonder to me they dont go out and do similar things to humans as well.

Disgusting regardless of where it is or who is doing it
edit on 3/2/2015 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
To me there's nothing humane about taking an animal and slicing its throat or stunning it. I never knew compassion ended in death.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So don't eat meat. Don't eat fish.

Just don't be anything but vegan, that's your right.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Killing for personal consumption is one thing and the necessity of it is easy for the psyche to justify.
Killing on an industrial scale like abbatoir workers do seriously messes with your head, if you think whats described above is exclusive or even more common in any one religions or countries slaughter houses you are kidding yourself.

Sadly doing what they do makes them desensitised and even go slightly insane, its a wonder to me they dont go out and do similar things to humans as well.

So how would you feed all the hungry people?

You, a hunter, you can only shoot one animal at a time, but how are you going to feed thousands of hungry people?

It's really easy to say, but in logistics, what would happen if everyone went out tonight to hunt their meat for personal consumption?

Really, give us a game plan for how you would propose feeding hungry people.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I dont have one

I wasnt comnplaining about the system I was just commenting on it.

I guess we could all become vegies? If hunger around the world was really an issue of quantity as opposed to distribution this would solve it within a few months as the same amount of land and resources used to grow crops produces a significant amount more food than the same used to farm animals.

Im a massive carnivore so I really cant comment

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

So how would you feed all the hungry people?

You, a hunter, you can only shoot one animal at a time, but how are you going to feed thousands of hungry people?

It's really easy to say, but in logistics, what would happen if everyone went out tonight to hunt their meat for personal consumption?

Really, give us a game plan for how you would propose feeding hungry people.

Don't over consume.

Ration for survivability only.

Teach every man, woman and child to hunt, garden and make shelter.

Switch diets in order to sustain different food sources.

Its never one's job to feed another unless they harbor something that cannot fend for itself. Certain societies favor gender roles and are defined by old cultures. These "traditions" haven't always meant the best for certain societies.

I think people are more likely to react if there was less of one feeding the masses and more of the masses feeding and sustaining themselves. At one point, almost everybody knew how to garden and raise a few animals. The ones that didn't know, learn or make a living other ways would perish. So is nature.

Since when is it our job to save everybody when so little want to learn to help themselves?

edit on 3-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
OK, let's try this one more time.

HOW would you feed 6 billion people today that are hungry today, tomorrow and the day after?

There's only so many animals and only so much farm land.

You say for personal consumption, but that's you. HOW are you going to make sure 6 billion people eat tomorrow?

Would you deny some groups of people eating tomorrow, because there aren't enough guns, knives or harpoons?

This is more than just you sitting behind your computer making these statements about your own personal views about consumption..you are taking the responsibility through your views about how people should eat, so HOW do you propose feeding people?

Would you deny the many millions of children food because it goes against your personal views?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
abattoirs are hellish places, halal or otherwise. i can't imagine how anyone can clock in each morning at a death factory and not be, if even a little, disturbed.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
THE HORROR! I want to be a vegetarian but meat tastes so goooood!!!! Dammit!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Undercover video shot by an animal welfare group appearing to show the brutal treatment of sheep at a Yorkshire abattoir has rekindled the debate over whether animals need to be stunned before they are killed.

The footage gathered by campaigning group Animal Aid shows sheep being kicked, threatened with knives and thrown into solid structures. In one case a worker appears to be pinning a sheep’s head down with his foot.

I like eating meat, but have high expectations that the animals that I eat are treated with respect and to high standards of animal welfare. In fact, I source my food with those principles in mind. However, in reality the way an animal is slaughtered is not described on the packaging, which is why most of my meat comes from a butcher who knows the score.

In halal slaughter, the animal is not stunned prior to slaughter, so suffers added stress at the end of its life.

I have for some time felt that the practice of halal slaughter is an affront. It compromises the welfare of the animal for Muslim and Jewish religious sensibilities which is wrong. I am not alone, but it seems we are forced to pander to a minority sentiment.

I would like to see the UK implement a non halal code for all abattoirs in the UK. If people want their meat from uncivilised and cruel practices they need to import it - at cost - from elsewhere.

Independent< br />
The typical distorted defence saying the animals are happy

Animal Aid

One of the current petitions

The other petition doing the rounds

Regards

not clicking on your links.
but the muslims win this round I guess because you can't really ban halal without banning kosher because the slaughter process is the same - slit the neck to drain all blood.

I heard muslims can even eat some kosher meat when halal is not available and jews can eat some halal when kosher is not available.
wierd considering they are at each others throats all the time. guess we all need to eat huh

edit on 3-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Was reading that the UK has the highest standards of animal welfare in the world.
It said incidents like this were rare, I suppose you can't legislate for sick people.
But if this particular way of killing animals Halal/Kosher is really bad and painful for the animals, then it should be looked and then stopped. Religious rights should not trump the law.
I don't know enough about the Halal/Kosher slaughter methods or techniques and whether they are to blame or whether it is individual workers who are being cruel and sadistic and mistreating animals.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If we ever had animals we'd shoot them in the head if they were for meat like hunting. I can't believe it's legal for Halal meat to be sold in our stores here. Another thing that has to be ended.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman
but the muslims win this round I guess because you can't really ban halal without banning kosher because the slaughter process is the same - slit the neck to drain all blood.

Just to clarify that the article was about an abattoir practicing halal methods, but in fact I put kosher in the same bucket of animal welfare obscenity. Both need to be banned in the UK.

Denmark has banned both halal and kosher stating that animal rights trump religion.

Regards

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: rokkuman

Just to clarify that the article was about an abattoir practicing halal methods, but in fact I put kosher in the same bucket of animal welfare obscenity. Both need to be banned in the UK.

Denmark has banned both halal and kosher stating that animal rights trump religion.

Regards

Not to mention such practices are breaching our laws that safeguard animal welfare, which is why these people have found themselves on the wrong side of the law.

I agree, it needs to be banned. If they need to torture animals to death they should go and live in a country where animal abuse and cruelty isn't against the law.

Personally, I believe those who work in abattoirs have a sadistic streak in them to do that job, and they become more desensitized to what they do.

What kind of person actually wants to butcher and torture scores of terrified helpless animals to death, one after the other, all day long, every day? - Sadistic criminal types, that's who. And they belong in jail.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Well done to Denmark.

Halal was being sold here in the UK as the main meat product in the major supermarkets, it wasn't even being labelled.

I mostly refrain from buying meat from the main supermarkets as I don't trust it. It doesn't 'feel right' when I see it on the shelves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join