It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Previously Unknown 'Gospel of the Lots of Mary' Revealed in Ancient Text

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
A 1,500 year-old Coptic text, in the possession of Harvard University's Sackler Museum, has been translated by Princeton Professor, Anne Marie Luijendijk, and found to contain the previously unknown Gospel of the Lots of Mary.

Given the word "Gospel" in the text's title, Professor Luijendijk said she was expecting it to be a narrative in the style of the canonical gospels or possibly a compilation of sayings as found in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas but instead it was revealed to be a collection of 37 oracles used for divination.

From Live Science:

A person seeking an answer to a question could have sought out the owner of this book, asked a question, and gone through a process that would randomly select one of the 37 oracles to help find a solution to the person's problem. The owner of the book could have acted as a diviner, helping to interpret the written oracles, she said.

The 37 oracles are all written vaguely; for instance, oracle seven says, "You know, o human, that you did your utmost again. You did not gain anything but loss, dispute, and war. But if you are patient a little, the matter will prosper through the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Another example is oracle 34, which reads, "Go forward immediately. This is a thing from God. You know that, behold, for many days you are suffering greatly. But it is of no concern to you, because you have come to the haven of victory."

Throughout the book "the text refers to hardships, suffering and violence, and occasionally one finds a threat. On the whole, however, a positive outlet prevails," Luijendijk wrote in her book.

Another interesting example, that illustrates the ancient book's positive outlook, is oracle 24, which reads, "Stop being of two minds, o human, whether this thing will happen or not. Yes, it will happen! Be brave and do not be of two minds. Because it will remain with you a long time and you will receive joy and happiness."

The codex containing the text is a diminutive 3" x 2.7" and is described as being well used with margins still bearing the thumbprints of its ancient users. The codex's provenance is unclear. It was donated to Harvard by Beatrice Kelekian in 1984 in memory of her husband, Charles. According to Professor Luijendijk, Charles' father Dikran Kelekian was "an influential trader of Coptic antiquaries," prominent among New York arts and antiquities dealers.

The full text as well as the translation and commentary were published in Luijendijk's 2014 book, Forbidden Oracles? The Gospel of the Lots of Mary.
edit on 2015-2-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That's really interesting.
I love when we find old things that confuse us.

A thing that really rustles my jimmies though is a lot of our history is in private collections the vast majority of us will never see or hear about.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yup I love hearing about things that don't quite fit accepted knowledge.

Nice find thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Theyre beautifully worded. Thanks for posting. I want a copy.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

A person seeking an answer to a question could have sought out the owner of this book, asked a question, and gone through a process that would randomly select one of the 37 oracles to help find a solution to the person's problem.

World's oldest Magic 8 Ball.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface of the true "magical" knowledge of the ancients. As more of these ancient texts become available, a little different picture of the early Christians is revealed. There are a few Early writings that have esoteric roots. The Zohar and the Kabbalah and the Testament of Solomon among others.

Great find, I am looking forward to checking into this more.

I was also shocked when I read the Testament of Solomon. Scholars debate who actually wrote it, but it is a magical text. It even describes the different Demons, gives their names, and a formula to fight them, and which Angel to call upon to help you to conquer the "demon". Its a fascinating read. www.esotericarchives.com...

You would think that Christians who are always "fighting Demons" would take every bit of ancient material at their disposal to understand and combat the enemy.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
i dont believe the claim . all of a sudden a professor has translated what the professor calls what you wrote . probably soup recipes .

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Amazing. A Coptic I Ching. I wonder if it was used similarly, with a ritual method of consultation that ensured that the answer would be randomly chosen.

edit on 4/2/15 by Astyanax because: of typos.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
i think to say the writings came from Mary is a bit far fetched . based on the belief that Mary didn't preach . putting a writers name to gospel is no doubt step one to creating a lie . the translation quoted is ridiculous and childlike so i decided to make the corrections .
and wouldn't be written .
the word thing wouldn't be written . but wouldn't be written . there are no commas .

"You know o human that you did your utmost again
You did not gain loss
Dispute war
Be patient a little
The matter will prosper through God"
Abraham
Isaac
Jacob

edit on 5-2-2015 by GEZUCHKRiCT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
"Go forward immediately
This is from God
You know that
Behold for many days you are suffering greatly
It is of no concern to you because you have come to the haven of victory"

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
"Stop being of two minds o human of this will happen or not
It will happen
Be brave
Do not be of two minds because it will remain with you a long time
You will receive joy and happiness"

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
the bible says "I am three people"
the writing says God is Abraham Isaac Jacob

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
the bible doesn't say I am God .
the bible says "I do not change" which means I do not write .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: GEZUCHKRiCT

i think to say the writings came from Mary is a bit far fetched . based on the belief that Mary didn't preach . putting a writers name to gospel is no doubt step one to creating a lie

Are you assuming "Mary", as in the Mother of Jesus?

Why??

Mary was a very common name back in the day... as common as unleavened bread.

And the word "gospel" simply means "good news". Given that this little book contains mostly positive oracles, it sounds to me like it does indeed contain good news.

I'm not sure I understand your problem with it. Oh well....

top topics

join