It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama: "TV shows shape our world"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Without knowing it, the first lady identified one of society's biggest problems. Her comments here.

“Every day, through the movies and TV shows and ads you all create, you have the power to shape our understanding of the world around us,” said Mrs. Obama. “You challenge our most strongly held beliefs. You influence our opinions on current events.”

The two most intelligent people I know don't even own TVs.

"TV shapes our understanding of the world."
That's like saying The Kardashians shape our understanding of family relationships.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Michelle Obama: "TV shows shape our world"

That's how her husband got the job.

By playing Potus on tv.

Although television has long since been dethroned as the king of mass manipulation.

Now it's the internets.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Think maybe why this is why so much of society today resembles a "Jerry Springer" society? I do...they sit at home eating snacks, drinking beer, watching Jerry Springer Show and subconsciously think, "yea, they show that on TV so it must be normal".

They have no other frame of reference and a moral compass without a magnet. So...yea, the media is slowly creating the society that will one day produce "President Camacho" and everyone will drink "Bondo" cause....its got electrolytes.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

That sad reality is, TV indeed does shape the worldview of many people. Yes, most of here at ATS and those with higher IQs tend to look beyond the BS that is TV and come to our own conclusions, but look at the people who's entire belief system is shaped by Fox News, or MSNBC. Or Reality TV. Or American Idol (or any of it's fifty gajillion spinoffs).

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Think maybe why this is why so much of society today resembles a "Jerry Springer" society? I do...they sit at home eating snacks, drinking beer, watching Jerry Springer Show and subconsciously think, "yea, they show that on TV so it must be normal".

They have no other frame of reference and a moral compass without a magnet. So...yea, the media is slowly creating the society that will one day produce "President Camacho" and everyone will drink "Bondo" cause....its got electrolytes.

"Carl's Jr: F*$K YOU, I'm eating!"

Best product tagline ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Michelle Obama, but she is spot on.

For me, my T.V is like an older relative sat in the corner of the room. It mostly spills out garbage, but occasionally and it appears to be very occasionally, it does come up with something interesting to say.

Unfortunately, I know many people who rely on their television and its broadcasts to form opinions for them. They are either unwilling or too lazy to do any thinking for themselves, let alone research anything it spews out.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

That sad reality is, TV indeed does shape the worldview of many people. Yes, most of here at ATS and those with higher IQs tend to look beyond the BS that is TV and come to our own conclusions, but look at the people who's entire belief system is shaped by Fox News, or MSNBC. Or Reality TV. Or American Idol (or any of it's fifty gajillion spinoffs).

I like to think that most of us on ATS here HAVE higher IQs.

(But you're right; it is sad that tv does shape the worldview, in a bad way.)

link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Michelle Obama, but she is spot on.

She IS spot on. That's the problem.
I was pointing out that she was unknowingly pointing out what's wrong with our society.

link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

LMAO

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sounds like they are trying to get people to watch more TV! With approval ratings at an all time low,they need to shape your brain more than ever.

I did not even watch the superbowl. Every year you see how the halftime show is ALL ILLUMINATI... It wouldnt suprise me if thats how they manipulated people...

Think about that one.. The NFL is a tax free organization, The superbowl is probably the most watched program in the entire western hemisphere.

Food for thought.....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

To begin Michelle is only married to the president, we did not elect Michelle.

Her opinion is no more important than my opinion.

Why does what she says matter so much to ewe?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The OP article is about Same-Sex Marriage

Speaking to a group of television and screenwriters in Washington, D.C., on Friday, First Lady Michelle Obama praised the movie and television industry in the United States for promoting same-sex marriage.

The theme here is that the movie and TV industry has the power to shape people's understanding of issues. Sure, it can be biased, but... caveat emptor.

"TV shapes our understanding of the world."
That's like saying The Kardashians shape our understanding of family relationships.

No... it's not at all like that.

It's more like she's being Captain Obvious.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, it's people who are influencing society. They are just using TV shows, radio programs, and other forms of advertising as tools of influencing.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think another huge part of the television media problem is the false emotional responses it creates. Surely this must wreak havoc on our chemical levels. When a television watcher sees scripted acts on television that illicit an emotional response be it fear, sadness, anger, happiness, tears, it seems like this is an over stimulation of our emotions. It looks real, and to what degree do our brains separate real life from what we see on a screen, even if outwardly we know it's fake.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Every year you see how the halftime show is ALL ILLUMINATI...

Explain your theory.

I read similar theories all the time but not once has it been explained.

How is the halftime show supporting the Illuminati?

Curious.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Every year you see how the halftime show is ALL ILLUMINATI...

Explain your theory.

I read similar theories all the time but not once has it been explained.

How is the halftime show supporting the Illuminati?

Curious.
Here's a pro-tip to help you understand the illuminati conspiracy believers.

If there's a triangle anywhere in it, it's illuminati.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: whatisurproblem

a reply to: whatisurproblem

To begin Michelle is only married to the president, we did not elect Michelle.

What does that have to do with the discussion?

Her opinion is no more important than my opinion.

Maybe not, but she's rated in the top 10 world's most powerful women. She's actually more popular than her husband, so apparently, a lot of people think her opinion is important. Michelle Obama

Why does what she says matter so much to ewe?

Maybe ewe aren't aware of it, but ATS is a discussion board. I'm discussing something with other members.
That's what we do here.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

The theme here is that the movie and TV industry has the power to shape people's understanding of issues. Sure, it can be biased, but... caveat emptor.

Again...I'm saying that a big problem with society is the fact that the movie and TV industry HAS this power. To shape peoples' world. To do their thinking for them. You mention it can be biased. Really? I think that's a bit of an understatement.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What I hate is when a person dissects my response. If you wish I no longer respond to the threads you post then fine.

I still wonder why you care what Mrs. Obama thinks.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem

What I hate is when a person dissects my response. If you wish I no longer respond to the threads you post then fine.

I still wonder why you care what Mrs. Obama thinks.
If you post on ATS, expect to have your posts dissected.

That being said, must one deeply care about a subject to start a thread on it? Perhaps the OP simply wanted to learn more about his fellow poster's opinions on the matter. Certainly, it has made for some interesting discussion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join