It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goats offered as alternative for clearing area of plutonium

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx
Highly skilled, carbon neutral, robotic (sort of) weedwackers.
It's actually a growing (heh) business.

www.rentaruminant.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Seems like hemp could be the solution.

Dr. Ilya Raskin of Rutgers University's Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, who was a member of the original task force sent by the IAEA to examine food safety at the Chernobyl site figured out that through phytoremediation utilizing hemp, among other plants, the soil, and thus the food supply could be saved from toxicity.

Phytoremediation is the process whereby green plants remove toxins from the soil. Plants can extract specific elements within their ecosystem and still thrive. They accumulate the toxins in their tissues and root systems but remain undamaged.

humansarefree.com...

Disposal found here.

A 40,000 square kilometre area of south-east Belarus is so stuffed with radioactive isotopes that rained down from the nearby Chernobyl nuclear power station in 1986 that it won’t be fit for growing food for hundreds of years, as the isotopes won’t have decayed sufficiently. But this week a team of Irish biofuels technologists is in the capital, Minsk, hoping to do a deal with state agencies to buy radioactive sugar beet and other crops grown on the contaminated land to make biofuels for sale across Europe.

The company, Greenfield Project Management, insists no radioactive material will get into the biofuel as only ethanol is distilled out. “In distillation, only the most volatile compounds rise up the tube. Everything else is left behind,” says Basil Miller of Greenfield. The heavy radioactive residues will be burned in a power station, producing a concentrated “radioactive ash”. This can be disposed of at existing treatment works for nuclear waste, he says.

www.hemp4fuel.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Stupid question:

What actually needs to be burned? and why?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Undergrowth.
To reduce wildfire hazard. That what a "controlled burn" is about.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The article says it is a wildlife refuge so it is most likely undergrowth of brush.
edit on 1-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

OK I've needed it done back home.
So the area is polluted from nuclear testing?

Mechanical clearing is an option also. Back Burning is done by people in close range? That is kinda risky isn't it?

Send in the goats…
poor goats.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Apparently the area is quite "hot."

I don't know how close the proposed burn is to housing but it is called a "controlled" burn.
edit on 2/1/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

hmmm.

more american weirdness

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

At least we're in the correct hemisphere and aren't upside down.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
But the hemp can be burned for fuel after the fermentation process for making alcohol is finished. There are dozens of facilities built just for that purpose all over the country. The ash is contained in a nuclear waste facility.
Also---mushrooms require pretty narrow parameters to thrive when compared to hemp. Hemp is much easier to grow and needs no "tending" other than watering. Our local university just harvested its first hemp crop this past fall. They were astounded at the production they got from simply dropping seeds into dirt and letting it grow!
Sunflowers have also been used to effectively clean up contaminated areas if memory serves me. I believe switch grass is also being used in some nuclear waste areas. There are a ton of alternatives to burning. The goats are a good stop-gap measure to keep the fools from setting unnecessary fires.
What fool thought it would be a good idea to put the toxins drawn from the soil by plants into the air?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

All the goats would be doing is displacing the plutonium causing the contamination to spread.. This is almost as bad as burning it.

Goats poop what they eat..

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Marvelous...

franken-goats...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Marvelous...

franken-goats...

Hell-arious.

Spent Uranium ammunition throughout the ME is causing thousands of horrible birth defects, and will continue to do so for hundreds of years.

Try to comprehend just how evil this phenomenon is and who is responsible.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
What happens when we get Goat-Hulk?
It COULD happen...

Most likely, goat abortions will be exponential, but the first goat at the petting zoo that tells my kids "Get your hands off of me you Damn Dirty Human!", I'm running...

'Goat Smash!'

Q

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Don't derail this thread by introducing your issues with US military policy. Its not fair to the op.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join