It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackbeard's medical devices found on Queen Anne's Revenge ship wreck.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Saw this article @ livescience.com and HAD to share. From LIVE SCIENCE

Archaeologists are excavating the vessel that served as the flagship of the pirate Blackbeard, and the medical equipment they have recovered from the shipwreck suggests the notorious buccaneer had to toil to keep his crew healthy.

This urethral syringe was used to treat syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease that can be fatal. Chemical analysis shows that it contained mercury, which was commonly used to treat people with syphilis during the early 18th century. Although mercury may alleviate some of the symptoms taking too much of it can be fatal.
Credit: Photo credit: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources

That pic ALONE shivers me timbers! Just imagine the mercury poisoning...

Among the finds was a urethral syringe that chemical analysis indicates originally contained mercury. Carnes-McNaughton told Live Science that this would have been used to treat syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease. "Eventually the mercury kills you," she said, explaining that the patient could suffer mercury poisoning.

Makes the life of a pirate a little less exciting more like a nightmare..
edit on 2/1/2015 by DjembeJedi because: sp error

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

I think the story of Blackbeard fascinating.

He stole the queens " revenge" ship just to further spite her.

It was the ultimate go EFF yourself!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

YES! What a revenge it was! It was Hornigolds ship "Le Concorde de Nantes" who Blackbeard helped "Liberate" from the French till he retired and handed it over to Blackbeard who then renamed it the Queen Anne's Revenge!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

This urethral syringe was used to treat syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease that can be fatal. Chemical analysis shows that it contained mercury, which was commonly used to treat people with syphilis during the early 18th century. Although mercury may alleviate some of the symptoms taking too much of it can be fatal.

That pic ALONE shivers me timbers! Just imagine the mercury poisoning...

Really!!!
Therye talking about sticking that rather large curved metal object down your 1 eyed snake and the part you focus on and get worried about are the potential after effects!!!!

I think after suffering through the delivery method Mercury poisoning would be a walk in the park haha

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Oh NO they both bother me equally! lol

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

YES! What a revenge it was! It was Hornigolds ship "Le Concorde de Nantes" who Blackbeard helped "Liberate" from the French till he retired and handed it over to Blackbeard who then renamed it the Queen Anne's Revenge!

I honestly wish you would have included more historical data about Blackbeard and the political climate of the time.....I love this storyline.

It was one of the worlds last vestiges of actual freedom.

Btw it is very poetic in the right context.

Please do a thread on this entire subject at some point!!!!

I only have a phone after my HD fried, so I can't really make threads for crap, it is too awkward.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Great find, s+f for you!.
All the best.
B. V. H a reply to: DjembeJedi

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Yeah!, edward teach was a complete legend, his story needs to be told. I would start a thread, but im using a small tablet.
B. V. H a reply to: infinityorder

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

After thinking about that for a minute, I'm gonna go curl up in to a ball [ hands protectively placed over my manly area ] and whimper for a while.
Be back in a few.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: billyvonhelvete
Yeah!, edward teach was a complete legend, his story needs to be told. I would start a thread, but im using a small tablet.
B. V. H a reply to: infinityorder

Amazing really, most feared pirate ever, yet there aren't any credible reports of him actually killing or hurting his captives.

It is a very interesting story.

How does one get such a fearsome personage, while in action not being that fearsome?

I think he is one of Americas most recognized but least known personalities.

Everyone has heard his infamous name, few know his real demeanor.

Edit to add: except for captain kidd, forgot about him.
edit on 1-2-2015 by infinityorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
He's one the reasons why i worked on the sea!, i was told many storys when i was growing up, about him, some brutal, some very funny. I think he's probally englands most famous pirate, his legend is stll alive and kicking in his home town of bristol.
All the best.
B. V. H

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yet another reason to keep it in your pants ... Yeouch!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It looks like an evil grease-gun.
My willy is trying to crawl up in my belly and hide.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ha ha ha!, i couldnt put it better myself, you've found the words i was looking for!!a reply to: skunkape23

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

"Evil Grease-Gun" wins the NET for today!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I think he is one of Americas most recognized but least known personalities.

Edward Teach aka " Blackbeard " was British. He died in 1718 long before America came a nation.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Kind of makes me wonder if they actually spread disease with that thing. You wouldn't want to complain about things back then or they might shove that thing where it hurts.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow I didn't know Blackbeard hailed from the same great city as me

Gina do a bit of reading up on this tomorrow after work for sure

👍

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Makes me think of that comedy scene in a spaghetti western movie where the Indian guy has got something nasty, and uses mime to insists it will be cured with a pill. The cowboy guy mimes back it's going to involve something painful. Indian guy shakes his head and insists it will be cured with a pill. Then he goes into the doctors shop and there's a loud scream.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Makes me think of that comedy scene in a spaghetti western movie where the Indian guy has got something nasty, and uses mime to insists it will be cured with a pill. The cowboy guy mimes back it's going to involve something painful. Indian guy shakes his head and insists it will be cured with a pill. Then he goes into the doctors shop and there's a loud scream.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join