It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Phone Scam

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I had a disturbing experience this morning. I answered a phone call and heard a recorded woman's voice. She claimed to be from the Internal Revenue Service, and insisted that I, or my legal representative, immediately call a phone number she gave.
She warned me not to disregard this call. Her tone was threatening. Luckily, this proved to be a scam, and not really the IRS. The real IRS will send a letter by snail mail about any problem with your tax return, and will not call you unexpectedly like this, as the websites of many consumer organizations, and the IRS itself will confirm.
I just wanted to warn anyone on ATS, who happens to live in the United States, to not be taken in by these scam artists, do not give them your information, or send them money, and don't let them intimidate you.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ross 54

Thanks for the heads up. There are way too many con artists out there trying to steal the identity and money from hard working people. Hey John McCain...The real "Scum of the Earth" are people who do this!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

What type of negotiation did you have when, or if, you called them? Were they requiring you to state your full name and address?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Our local news reported that the scammers want you to immediately purchase a gift credit card and then contact them with the bar code numbers in order to settle a tax debt.
edit on 1/31/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Were you watching this?

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

What type of negotiation did you have when, or if, you called them? Were they requiring you to state your full name and address?

The woman in the recording gave the phone number I was supposed to call so quickly that I didn't have time to get a pencil and write it down, or even try to memorize it. I wasn't given the option of hearing the message again, which is pretty usual with voicemail systems. I couldn't have called back, if I'd wanted to.

It seemed pretty odd that I would have to call back immediately, on a Saturday, if it was really the IRS. I suspected a scam, so did some online research, and found that this was the case.
edit on 31-1-2015 by Ross 54 because: added information

edit on 31-1-2015 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

edit on 31-1-2015 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

top topics

join