It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Little Free Library In My Hometown Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I drove by this house a couple of weeks ago. I saw the library, but I was working and couldn't stop. Apparently these are cropping up everywhere but I guess I've been out of the loop...I think it's a great idea.

Basically, the city of Shreveport is saying this is zoned incorrectly and is a business. It's a big wooden box with a glass door, with a free book exchange for crying out loud.

The population of Shreveport/Bossier City is approx 275,000 but all it took was ONE COMPLAINT....ONE to shut it down.

"The Police State isn't coming...It's already here"

It's an international movement to make reading easier for everyone, but the local Metropolitan Planning Commission says it's a zoning violation. They are calling the free book swap program a commercial business in a residential area.

m.ksla.com...

edit on 30-1-2015 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Yah, a private library with un official literature… can't have that.

People might actually learn something of value. Once everyone is hooked up on the internet as their source of knowledge they'll turn it off, making everyone blind.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

This is the kind of thing that blows my mind. All the things going on in the world, and one complaint, and they rush out to take action.

What's even sadder? The person who complained about it. It begs the question, why in the world would you care, and how could you let this bug you?

What next? Sky not blue enough? Trees not green enough?

Unreal.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

How sad. Such a beautiful idea and little depot too. I love the idea of take one-leave one. It gives me an idea: I may just do that come spring.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I saw one of these in my city of Perth, Western Aust. I thought it was such a great idea. About the comment shutting the internet down when there are no libraries; I see it differently. They wont shut it down as there is too much commerce going on. They will control as to what "ideologies are acceptable". I think most people are too busy living their lives through facebook to be a serious threat to the status quo.

Ray Bradburys Fahrenheit 451 comes to mind

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There is a website for Little Free Libraries.

How to set them up, register, build etc.

I'm curious what the complaint was.

littlefreelibrary.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Calling a book swap a commercial business is just retarded

I am really worried for my kids as the world they are going to grow up in looks like it is going to really suck

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

If it's a book "swap", there's no money involved??? How is it a business if there's no money involved? Free library, no money.

This is bullpucky.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I second the Bullpucky....This is an infringement on free speech (literally) and the Feds should come down on the city like a ton of bricks....
And wheres the ACLU?
What a goddam candy ass bunch of politically correct arseholes....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
the only reason why someone would complain about such a good thing as a Free Library is someone that has No Life !

It's a shame something so nice as free knowledge to be shut down from a no life moron.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: charles911

Or they own a struggling bookstore

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Not the first time. On Little Free Library . Org ---- it says check local ordinances.

Lending library created by a 9-year-old is shut down by his city

www.csmonitor.com...

edit on 30-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
A petition may work locally and or the net. As those seems to have helped causes lately. Maybe a non profit status deal some how?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It depends on the cities definition of what a business is. Of course, that depends on what the definition of what the word "is" means.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've noticed some weird things in the movie Green Street Hooligans that connects it to the 2005 London underground bombings. I haven't analyzed the movie in detail but this is what I've noticed so far.

The film was released: 3/12/05
The bombings occurred 7/7/05.

The movie beings with a brawl in the London underground which leaves the area looking like a blast zone from the destruction caused by the fighting .The next scene has man walking up out of the underground and while there's a red bus behind him he says:

" what happened here? Looks like a terrorist attack "

So to summarize, there's a scene of the London underground looking like a bomb hit it and they refer to it as looking like a terrorist attack while a red double decker bus is right behind them just like the one that exploded during the London bombings on 7/705.

There's a scene where an actor says:
" we'll unleash 7 shades of # on them "

There's another scene where there's a bunch of kids playing soccer and number 7 is the kid that scores the goal and is the focal point of the scene. The actor puts his hand on his back and touches the 7. There's also 2 kids wearing number 7. So in one scene you can see 7 and 7 beside each other.

The movie also makes references to:

- Jews hating Palestinians.
- The press being liars.
- politicians abusing their powers.
- England being the most surveiled country on Earth.
The film also attacks English Football culture.

It just seems like too random for the opening scene in the London underground to be a coincidence, even if the actor didn't make a direct reference to it looking like a terrorist attack.

This is just too weird and not to mention all the political references in the movie.

I might watch the movie again and edit out all the parts I'm talking about and make a YouTube video to better explain... Weird stuff man.

The movie is actually on YouTube for anybody to check out.
I think this is crazy...what a discovery.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: spookypancakes

Interesting stuff, not sure how it relates to little free libraries...maybe you meant to post on my old Knowing thread?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
A lot of these things in residential areas are shut down because they have a potential to cause a huge increase in traffic visiting them, destroying the character of the residential area. Not because they are or are not earning a profit.

top topics

join