It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Should Shop Around ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So our son is old enough that he has officially out grown his toddler bed. So tomorrow, we go to buy him his first big-boy bed, and is he ever excited! We have saved, and since it has been slower than molasses at work this week, I've been shopping around to get the best deals on bed frames, mattresses and bedding.

This one really kills me. I found a nice red, white and blue nautical quilt set that I liked that looked boy enough to stretch for a few years. The walls in his room are navy blue because it was our office before it was his bedroom. So the quilt is base white with navy and red stripes and plaids. The navy will go with the walls and he likes red. The white will help brighten the room.

I found the same set at Over stock, Wayfair and Kohl's website.

As you can see, the cost on both the first two websites is virtually the same, but for some reason, if I want to buy it at Kohl's, it is normally more than twice the price. This isn't because the product is any different or because I can go directly to the store and pick it up. It's online only, just like the other two. Now, to be fair, if I did get it from Kohl's right now, it's on sale, but I am still paying about $30 more to get it from Kohl's.

I am wondering what caused this particular price discrepancy because there are other bedding sets the sites have in common that are pretty much comparable in price. There is an Ink+Ivy set, for example, that is within $10 no matter where you find it.

Is it because the company made so many of these sets and no one except a place like Kohl's picked up the set so the overstock warehouses had a lot of sets to get and could them afford to sell them off at a deep discount? Were the majority of the run flawed in construction, although that can't entirely be the case as the reviews tend to be positive.

Either way, it's proof that it is sometimes worth your while to shop around instead of simply buying what you want at the very first place you find it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If you have a smart phone you can just scan a bar code on an item ( there is a free app) it will list the item, stores that have it in stock (including amazon) as well as the price. It takes less than 30 seconds.
edit on 30-1-2015 by kurthall because: Spell

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Nope. No smartphone. What do you think I am? Wealthy?

I have a very basic flip phone is all, so I have to do it all the hard way. Still doesn't address why this particular set has such a big price difference when others don't.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

You know your child and you are making the right decisions for him. I love to bargain hunt...I got into the habit from watching my Grandmother shop.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I am far from wealthy. I just replaced my 41/2 year old phone 2 months ago. It was $350, but ATT just charges me like $13 a month for it for 18 months, but this phone is amazing. Its a Samsung Galaxy 4 which is last years model, but that's fine with me. It saves me time and money.
edit on 30-1-2015 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2015 by kurthall because: Add

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Kohl's: Where they over-price to Nordstrom levels and "mark it down" to Macy's levels and call it a sale.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Heck no. Kohl'shas great deals, and Kohls cash, discounts etc. I have walked out with 3 bags of clothes there for $100 after all discounts. Also they are nice clothes.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

But if they would cut that silly shenanigans and just have realistic pricing strategies, they could make more money. But,alas, study after study proves that shoppers - at least Americans - would rather *feel* like they are getting an awesome sale price that is not actually a better value than to just pay cheaper prices up front.

In that way, if you have a Kohl's card (or Kroger or whichever store) it's effectively the same as a club store like Costco or Sam's...if you don't choose to relinquish all of your purchase and credit data - it's no deal at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Remember JC Penney did that, just flat price, with no sales and they nearly tanked. Now they are following Kohls format. You are right though Americans love a bargain.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

The math is there...but not the psychology.

It's messed up!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Remember JC Penney did that, just flat price, with no sales and they nearly tanked. Now they are following Kohls format. You are right though Americans love a bargain.

You just have to KNOW when you hit Khol's up. I hit them up at Christmas time when almost everything is on sale, buy it online when they give you a coupon code, PLUS you get Khol's cash, BOOM! Bob's your Uncle! Big Savings! Just have to have the right timing is all. Don't EVER buy anything full price. My Nan's best tip. (And my dad's.)

I remember my dad getting a $300 Barbeque grill for $30 because Lowe's was throwing it out. It needed a part. My dad took it home, wrote the company, sent the $30 for the part, boom, $300 grill for $30! He used to pull stuff like that all the time! He carpeted our entire home for free! Enjem's Carpet in town was throwing away a large carpet roll because of a small stain. We had gone to look for carpet and he saw them getting ready to throw it in the dumpster. He asked what was wrong with it and they told him. He said "Instead of chucking it, how about putting it in my car?" So they did! He carpeted the living room, (hiding the stain under the couch), the family room, the stairs, the dining room, and the foyer upstairs. That B@st@rd was a tricky old devil! LOL Still is!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with Kohl's. I've gotten some good deals there too. As I said, there were some sets that were pretty much the same across the board.

When I shop, I'm looking for the most efficient use of my dollar at that time, so in this case, Kohl's was obviously not it.

My real wonder was just how big the price difference was on that one item when it was much closer on the other like items. So shopping around is the key. Don't just decide to go one place. But I've been in the habit of checking around for a long time now. I think one year we replaced some appliances with our tax return and bonus. We wound going to three different stores for those because that's where the best prices were at the time.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I think that is how it works sometimes. That is why it is better to just purchase at the online store of the main shop. Like the one I just saw, Bartier Jewels, they are very expensive on other websites but when I checked on their min online shop, the rings that I have been eyeing are on sale and 40 percent cheaper! www.bartierjewels.com...

new topics

top topics

join