It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unremovable super tracking cookies on cellphone now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Interesting article...just wanted to get this info out.
The second link, from the article posted below is a cookie sniff search page...enter this page via cell/data connection, not wifi...it will id these cookies...my result was positive.
Senators are fighting this now, but it is in place as we speak.

From article

Supercookies are unique ID numbers used to tag and track users for advertising purposes; but unlike regular cookies which users can delete, Verizon's customers cannot delete or evade its supercookies. The use of the new mobile trackers has come under intense scrutiny recently from privacy advocates who feared third parties, such as Turn or even intelligence agencies, could exploit them to spy on consumers. That outcry has since led Turn to suspend use of Verizon supercookies. In November, AT&T announced it was discontinuing its use of similar supercookies. A Verizon spokesperson tells us that the company will continue to evaluate super cookies and are even looking into removing it. He also says customers can opt out of having it and are looking at how 3rd parties got a hold of it.

story link
network cookie search page
another article- more in depth description
verizon opt out

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: Added a link

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: Added opt opt

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Just so you know, there is a Flash Cookie Cleaner available, it's free and as far as I can tell, virus free. You can get it HERE. It does work pretty well, just make sure you "Ignore" your settings file, it's called "settings.sol"

ETA: This is for desktops and laptops running Windoze, not cell phones. I am searching for a Cell Phone version now.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/29.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
thanks for sharing this.
I just switched to Verizon and glad to find out about this.
On a side note: when I clicked to opt out link that page had a link to Verizon's page but it was in Spanish....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If you use a rooted Android phone, nothing is irremovable. I poke through things and modify my phones' frameworks' source code almost on a daily basis....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
If you use a rooted Android phone, nothing is irremovable. I poke through things and modify my phones' frameworks' source code almost on a daily basis....

Do you know the file location?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

No, but it wouldn't be difficult to find. I can almost guarantee it's being saved somewhere to the phone's regular, user-accessible internal storage, but even if it weren't, finding it would be a trivial matter. All you'd need to do is flash a clean, stock ROM, set it up over WiFi (leaving the 4G radio disabled), make a system dump, then connect it to, say, Verizon, let it do any carrier updates it may try to do, make another dump, and compare the two. Would take less than an hour to find out exactly what your carrier modifies or adds to your phone....

Edit: Even easier, you could just hook it up via adb before activating it on the network, and pull a live logcat when you connect it, so you could see exactly what it's doing and accessing in real-time....
edit on 1/30/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

The force is strong in this one.

Second line.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowSkye
thanks for sharing this.
I just switched to Verizon and glad to find out about this.
On a side note: when I clicked to opt out link that page had a link to Verizon's page but it was in Spanish....

From link...
Verizon has an opt-out policy that you can activate by logging into your account’s privacy settings on the Web or by using the My Verizon app on some phones.
Visit: www.verizonwireless.com/myprivacy/
Alternatively you can call 866-211-0874 to opt out.

Courtesy: DroidForums.net

...not sure about the spanish thing...mine is en english senor

Reading around the web...you can opt out, you will only have the third party advertisements stop, but they will leave all of the cookie in place. You will still be tracked by it.
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: addition

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

No, but it wouldn't be difficult to find. I can almost guarantee it's being saved somewhere to the phone's regular, user-accessible internal storage, but even if it weren't, finding it would be a trivial matter. All you'd need to do is flash a clean, stock ROM, set it up over WiFi (leaving the 4G radio disabled), make a system dump, then connect it to, say, Verizon, let it do any carrier updates it may try to do, make another dump, and compare the two. Would take less than an hour to find out exactly what your carrier modifies or adds to your phone....

Edit: Even easier, you could just hook it up via adb before activating it on the network, and pull a live logcat when you connect it, so you could see exactly what it's doing and accessing in real-time....

Nice...Im going to try the adb route and see what I can find...thanks...now to the ipad over verizon...prob sol there

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Thank you.
So is it worth it to even opt out?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
so are these more persistent than LSO's, that's what they used LSO's. i don't use a phone to connect to the internet so i'm not that well versed on the cookies used on phone browsers.

as a member above posted there are add ons that will delete LSO's.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't have to remove it. I removed the need for a cell phone. Have fun!

new topics

top topics

join