It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#UseMeInstead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Florida police used mugshots of black men for target practice. Clergy responded:
#UseMeInstead.

The idea originated on a closed Facebook group for Lutheran clergy, where pastors were discussing how North Miami Beach’s police department had been caught using mugshots of actual people for target practice. Let’s send in our own photos for target practice, the pastors decided.

The target-practice story had come to light after National Guard Sgt. Valerie Deant saw bullet-riddled mugshots of black men at a police gun range. One photo was of Deant’s brother. Outrage followed in North Miami Beach and beyond as critics called for the police chief’s resignation.
The chief defended the department but denied racial profiling and said officers used images of people of all races. The city council banned the practice.
www.washingtonpost.com... ed-usemeinstead/

Keep in mind some of these are just mug shots and are not necessarily criminals, I think the clergy did good in this case and I am pleasantly pleased they are not cut from the same cloth as the GOD Hate F..Gs people or folks who like their version of Christ slinging an M.16

edit on 27-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

It's always nice to hear about Christians being Christian.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Instititionalised racism.

I don't care what "the chief" said.

Don't reply to me denying it sympathisers...

Just don't.

Or do, but don't expect a response.

Fair play to the clergy...

“Maybe we ought it make it harder to pull the trigger, and volunteer to put pictures of their family up,”

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Good for them. I have kept up with the story on this and I think it was WAY blown out of proportion to what was actually done. The reporter never asked for any of the other targets, nor did they mention any other targets that were used in this instance. I think the initial story was one put out there just for the sensationalism of it and because of all the racial crap hitting the news lately.

In the end, they all WERE mugshots of criminals and there are multiple other similar, yet different race/gender mugshot targets used as well....I have a similar view to this as I do criminals being shot in general....don't be a criminal and you won't get your mugshot pasted on a target at a gun range.

I chalk this one up as Big F'ing Deal. Shoot pics of clergy...who cares?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Good for them. I have kept up with the story on this and I think it was WAY blown out of proportion to what was actually done. The reporter never asked for any of the other targets, nor did they mention any other targets that were used in this instance. I think the initial story was one put out there just for the sensationalism of it and because of all the racial crap hitting the news lately.

In the end, they all WERE mugshots of criminals and there are multiple other similar, yet different race/gender mugshot targets used as well....I have a similar view to this as I do criminals being shot in general....don't be a criminal and you won't get your mugshot pasted on a target at a gun range.

I chalk this one up as Big F'ing Deal. Shoot pics of clergy...who cares?

Not all were criminals and having a mug shot doesn't make you a criminal until after the judge and jury say you are.kinda like this guy above, pump shots in his face sayz U??

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That's just inexcusable.

The cops involved should lose their jobs. So, too, should the chief.

The vast majority of clergy aren't anything like the Westboro Baptist bigots.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Its a good thing to pretend they are killing people all day on the range. We want murderous psychotic officers keeping the peace and policing the streets for public safety.

They are good people.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Its a good thing to pretend they are killing people all day on the range. We want murderous psychotic officers keeping the peace and policing the streets for public safety.

They are good people.

But I thought it was proven video games DON't make people more violent.....

Yeah.....good thing the ones they are killing and murdering in the streets are getting plenty of practice with violent games and violent music and whatnot.....but hey.....let's make a different set of rules for them because they are innocent.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I never saw the update to the story that some of these in the pic you posted were not criminals. The story was really ONLY about one individual that was on the target who WAS a criminal and involved in the death of 2 people.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

There's something other than video games in play here, I think.

I've played violent videogames for years, when I still played them... ...and I'm not psychotic enough to matter.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Good Lord, if video games made people more violent....

I am a habitual GTA and COD player. According to the "experts", i should be a raving, blood thirsty lunatic.

RE: the OP....very nice to see people living up to what they are supposed to be. Growing up Lutheran, i could see my pastor as a child being like that. He was a giant of a man, despite not really being very large.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If cops feel the need to use a picture as a target they could use their own picture.

It makes me believe they are doing it too lessen their feelings about people and make it easier to shoot someone.

I wonder what would happen if cops saw Joe Citizen using pictures of cops as targets at the range.
edit on 1/27/2015 by roadgravel because: spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
How much do you want to bet that if your average citizen had done this with photos of police/congressmen/the president they would be charged with "terroristic threatening" or "plotting murder".
edit on 27-1-2015 by Charizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If cops feel the need to use a picture as a target they could use their own picture.

It makes me believe they are doing it too lessen their feelings about people and make it easier to shoot someone.

I wonder what would happen if cops saw Joe Citizen using pictures of cops as targets at the range.

Great observation the PBA would squeal like a stucked pig.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I would have to agree with this insight - desensitization is the name of the game.

new topics

top topics

join