It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Life Snow Globes... Kind Of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It's been awhile since I ran across one of these that I couldn't resist posting. I saw these and had to share. Real life snow globes that are breathtaking in their beauty.

So take a deep breath and a small moment to appreciate what surrounds us on earth that we all too frequently miss in our day to day lives. Earth is indeed a wondrous place...

Each winter, when the temperature dips into the negatives, Washington-based photographer Angela Kelly takes advantage of the frigid weather and blows bubbles that freeze and form beautiful patches of ice crystals. The breathtaking results, which she photographs for her series Life in a Bubble, look like delicate snow globes and Christmas tree ornaments made of glass.

Kelly uses a homemade solution of dish soap, karo syrup, and water to create the bubbles. While some of the smaller bubbles freeze in midair and fall to the ground, shattering upon impact, others crystalize and retain their pristine shape. No two bubbles look the same, as each forms different patterns. Decorated with elegant swirls and scallops, feathery etchings, and snowflake-like designs, the frozen globes are truly a gorgeous sight to behold in these cold winter days.

You can see more here -
www.mymodernmet.com...

edit on 1/26/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to buy some bubble stuff to make these! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Don't forget to take pics if you do!! I for one would want to see them.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I didn't know we could try making these ourselves. Not cold enough here right now.

Thanks for posting. They're so pretty

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I wish it was cold enough where I am to do this! That's freaking awesome!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

You're welcome.
I'm glad you enjoyed them and it's something to think about trying next time it does get cold enough!

Again... I want pics if you do.

originally posted by: Vitrude
I wish it was cold enough where I am to do this! That's freaking awesome!

I can't see your location, so maybe it will get cold enough again for you to give it a go before the start of spring.

They are amazing for sure!

edit on 1/26/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing that.

Seeing it in real time is almost surreal.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That's amazing! The ice patterns in the bubbles are much like the patterns of snowflakes.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

That was my first thought as well. So much detail in so little space is just mind boggling. I know it probably shouldn't be, but it is.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I write cosmogony simulations and after I discarded accretion this is exactly how I started growing my own planets. Due to the fractal nature of the universe if my simulation was anywhere near to being more accurate than the old Newtonian Accretion model is should appear at some other scale. Fractals exhibit mathematically recognizable recurring patterns at smaller and smaller scales. So to see a commercial showing the exact same math I was using, but not to grow planets. I had never... I couldn't.... It can be hard to tell when a nerd is being emotional be believe me when I say that seeing this commercial later was such gentle and natural confirmation that I wept a little bit.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 26-1-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Nothing wrong with that IMO.
One can find beauty in many things and it just shows you that it strikes a chord within you that you can appreciate something that much.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I just hope I don't forget about this by the time it gets cold enough here. Could be another 10 months!

top topics

join