It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ever pictures of pluto coming - aliens?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Either way, we are the first generation out of billions of people, to finally see what pluto looks like

and.. in the unlikely scenario that there is an advanced civilisations of adaptable eskimos..

it is a 9 year unmanned, or about a 12 year slower but manned journey away
so realistic

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Finding some sort of alien life on Pluto would be awesome! But I doubt it would be what you guys are thinking of. Most likely, if any, there would be some sort of organism, perhaps micro, under the ice that Pluto has. Unfortunately we won't know right away because the team even said it takes a whole year to get the info back, so we'll be waiting for quite some time!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I've always thought Charon was pronouned with a soft CH not a k sound.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

In mythology it is pronounced 'Kah-ron', in astronomy it is pronounced the same, or as the other poster, said, 'Sha-ron'.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Which country are you in? i did a little suvey and here in the Uk the people i asked think it's a soft ch sound.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18923316]WilsonWilson[/post

Which country are you in?

Look right under my avatar.

i did a little suvey and here in the Uk the people i asked think it's a soft ch sound.

They would be wrong then. Here is a man (with a British accent no less) explaining the correct pronunciation.

Further:

The digraph was first used in Latin since the 2nd century B.C. to transliterate the sound of the Greek letter chi in words borrowed from that language. In classical times, Greeks pronounced this as an aspirated voiceless velar plosive [kʰ]. Source

edit on 26-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well you learn something new everyday, it's a little late for me though, i've pronounced it too long that way to change it now lol

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
my prediction is will look like the artic or south poles of earth.

The ice planet from the empire strikes back, thoth was it?
edit on 26-1-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am sticking with my "K" sound, since the moon is named after the mythological figure.
edit on 26-1-2015 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I doubt that Pluto will prove to be a featureless ball of ice. The images that the Hubble Space Telescope made, as Pluto revolved beneath its gaze, show a good many light and dark features, albeit indistinctly. See link below for an article with these images.
io9.com...
edit on 26-1-2015 by Ross 54 because: corrected link address

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What i'm personally interested in is the dark spots on Pluto, said to be "tar of primordial organic compounds" be great to know what they really are, quite exciting times for our solar system exploration.

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony
Although I would like to believe that there are Eskimos on Pluto I will have to go ahead and say, no! Pluto is going to be like a plain marble with no interesting features at all. I will still want to see those first photos of Pluto even though I'm pretty darn sure it ain't gonna be that exciting.

It probably isn't featureless. I think there will be craters, lowlands, and highlands (possibly even something like mountains and valleys). Also, There are areas of light and dark on Pluto that suggests some sort of differences in topography or surface materials.

One other very interesting feature of Pluto would be it's atmosphere and seasonal changes. Because Pluto's orbit is so highly elliptical, it is currently having a change of seasons from its summer and warmer seasons (which last 100+ Earth years) to its winter and colder seasons (which also lasts 100+ Earth years). When winter sets in, it is believed that the atmospheric gasses (nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide) will freeze out of the atmosphere, and the entire atmosphere will "snow" to the ground, where it will remain for 100 years until the the warmer season and summer come along, at which time the frozen gasses will raise back up to form an atmosphere again.

Source:
NASA - The Mysterious Molasses Markings of Pluto

edit on 1/26/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join