It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's fastest electric motorcycle crashes with designer driving

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: Psynic

I was making a comparison sorry my english wasn't good enough.

What comments about your "english"???

I was simply pointing out "transmissions" are NOT required in electric vehicles and that coolant "fluids" aren't required in drag bikes that only run for 5 or 10 seconds.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I am not sure what the demonstrator was trying to demonstrate? Zero to sixty without enough road ahead?

However, it is a cool bike and I like that it is low to the ground so petite women, such as I, can put our feet flat on the ground.

Remember 'speed kills'.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: XL5
Even though electric motors have torque at low RPM and they don't "need" a transmission, you waste less power/energy with the proper transmission in an electric vehicle.

Not in a drag bike doing 6 second 1/4 miles.

Wouldn't be worth the weight.

The record holder uses 250lbs of batteries, btw.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
a reply to: Edumakated
200mph+ on regular old roads, every year is faster than the last. I just don't see how someone can control a machine going that fast, I think in the Hills it's like 235+.

They say the houses shake when they go by. There are certainly better clips than this one, but I was having a hard time imbedding. They usually don't show the crashes, which is fine in my book. I respect these men deeply being a longtime cyclist myself (I rarely go over 60 mph, lol)

Makes one think how and where they practice without killing themselves to get there. It is still awesome

Over 200 rider deaths in the Isle of Man TT race since 1910. After watching that clip my first though was... that is very dangerous and my second thought was... got to look it up how dangerous exactly.

Well here it is.. a list of unfortunate tt riders and the Isle of Man is a real challange for all riders..

WIKI -- deaths in motorcycle races

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Typically electric bikes and cars use a "transmission", but do not have multiple gears, only a fixed ratio. Some however are direct-drive. Few have gears.

a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

It uses LiFePO4 cells by A123 systems (a massive sticker is on the bike). They are often used in electric drag cars and bikes because they can be discharged at extremely high rates (can output a lot of power for a small weight) - I believe that's what made A123 cells special initially. You can also buy starter batteries that use A123 cells to save a bit of weight on your petrol bike.

Road electric bikes and cars usually have cells with a much higher energy density and lower power density. I am a bit of a Zero Motorcyles fanboy, they make all electric road bikes: www.zeromotorcycles.com... The biggest disadvantage is probably range and cost, the biggest advantages are smooth acceleration, no maintenance, and electricity is extremely cheap.
edit on 25/1/15 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Psynic, even in drag bikes it would be helpful to at least have 2 gears. You get more torque for the same size motor and less voltage drop. Even if you do have enough torque at a low rpm with a single gear, its still not as efficient as having 2-3 gears.

If you had a 1000HP engine with a single gear and enough torque to accelerate a car up to highway speeds, it would burn allot more gas. Its better to use a smaller electric motor and use a couple gears. When you pedal your bike, you make allot of torque at low RPM as well, but you still have an easier time starting on the easy gear first.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

a reply to: Psynic

I was making a comparison sorry my english wasn't good enough.

What comments about your "english"???

I was simply pointing out "transmissions" are NOT required in electric vehicles and that coolant "fluids" aren't required in drag bikes that only run for 5 or 10 seconds.

Simple misunderstanding.

If you go back and read his comments from the beginning, you would see that he was comparing electric (batteries) to non-electric (ie transmissions, fluids etc.). He tried to clarify that point and was taking responsibility for the misunderstanding by blaming it on his apparent 2nd language. However, it was just that a post got taken out of context.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I could take or leave an electric car, but some of the bikes being developed are gorgeous. Right from the mental TT zero jobs to the new Harleys.

Sometime in the next 10 years I'll probably jump in and buy one.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I feel sorry for the man but when Darwin arrives expect no other results.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold
Im a biker but to do the speeds they do round that track is mental. Even Rossi said they were mad.

Be nice to see guy win it

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
a reply to: Edumakated
A bike that accelerates that fast should have a thumb-button operated throttle. If you're pulling heavy g's with a roll throttle you're a little bit screwed if you need to get off of it fast.

As a lifelong biker (with the scars to prove it) I am very impressed/intrigued by electric bikes and from what I've seen the immediate torque available is jaw dropping.

I'd go one further than your button op throttle and suggest interactive wireless connected racing leathers that speak to the bike as it travels and monitors the riders reactions etc.
How about a sensor in the seat of the trousers that reduces power and applies brakes at the first detection of any rider emitted
(ahem) 'particles'

Anyway, electric bikes are the future of motorcycling, a lethally fast silently dangerous future and will need some changes to the law requiring bikers to make a loud neeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa noise when driving in urban areas.
Still, with all its dangers (inattentive car drivers I'm looking at you!) It really is the only way to travel. Imho.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
That guy honestly should have known better, for all the things he had going - shame common sense wasn't one of them.

And in the side topic of motorcycle racing in general, my guess is that dangerous-as-hell is the tradeoff for participating in a motorsport where you can be genuinely competitive without needing sponsorships and six-digit income. (Although that still helps. Yet compared to cars that cost well over $500,000 you can get a bike that's still faster for under $20,000.)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join