It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans Passes Extensive Smoking Ban

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'm a bar owner and volume bartender for 15 years. I've been through the smoking ban. I fought it. I went to all the city council meetings. I don't smoke but was afraid it would ruin my business. The tobacco companies sent lawyers to talk to us and tell us it was going to kill our business. They told us that people would stay at home.

After I figured out the city was going to pass the ban no matter what, I stared studying the effects in other cities. I have friends that run bars in Nashville and talked with then extensively. They all told me not to worry, they said it would increase sales. Four years later I can tell you they were right. We were slow for maybe 4 weeks. It was one of the best things to happen to me, as someone that is always in bars. If the law was reversed my bar would stay smoke free.
I was in New Orleans for Tails of the Cocktail last year and will be there this year and I promise you a smoking ban will not slow anyone down from having a good time.

People don't go to bars to drink or smoke, they go to socialize and escape their lives.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: ratcals

And I don't smoke so.... lol!

Touche

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

They say it's a worker's rights issue too but I think the worker new it was smokey when they applied.

They say a lot don't they? If one frequents bars there are associated risks… imo, smoking is down the list.

Can't legislate morality.

Some will say second hand smoke hurts others. So does a beer bottle or cue stick over the head. If you don't like smoke, drink at home.

The people that wrote that law don't hang in bars. Next they'll outlaw drinking in New Orleans.

Im an ex smoker. I can only change my own behavior in that regard, not impose upon others.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RammerJammer

People don't go to bars to drink or smoke, they go to socialize and escape their lives.

Some people do go there to drink… "drinkers'" often smoke, too.

Thanks for the owners perspective. Whats your experience past and present with altercations in the parking lot? How do the local laws address being drunk "in public" outside the bar door?

Turn a "blind eye"?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AutOmatIc

And so all the neighbors started b#tching about the noise…you just can't please everyone.

I can imagine all kinds of surreptitious outdoor activity in the name of smoke breaks.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thats gonna kill mardi gras .. or they gonna ban that too ?
Getting ridiculous with all the smoking bans over there ..

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: RammerJammer
People don't go to bars to drink...

I see...wait...what? Sorry but I think that is the most ignorant statement I think I've ever read.
edit on 23-1-2015 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

But did you see the part where he's a bar owner? I mean * maybe* he might have some insight. LoL! People can drink at home...so why go to a bar?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutOmatIc

You could even buy single cigs for $1 each on the Avenue of the Americas from many many people.

Which got Eric Garner killed since he was cutting into the City's profit margin.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

But did you see the part where he's a bar owner? I mean * maybe* he might have some insight. LoL! People can drink at home...so why go to a bar?

Heh, yea I saw that, but if you own a bar your primary income is alcohol sales...so if nobody drinks, you don't make money, therefore you go out of business. If your primary income is not alcohol then you don't own a "bar".

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I see...wait...what? Sorry but I think that is the most ignorant statement I think I've ever read.

I can see why you would think that and that is the reason most bars and restaurants fail. Understanding why customers choose to frequent bars is key to the business. It costs $11 for a half case of bud light at the local store. I'll sell you that same half case for $36 and a $7 tip, are you still going to tell me people are at the bar to drink?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
we used to go to restaurants at least once week. Then they passed the stupid bans here and well those restaurants lost some revenue now. one day I ought to slap on enough perfume to gag an elephant and go and see what happens. I will be oozing many of those deadly chemicals that the smokers do and doing about as much damage but since I will smell pretty I bet no one will say a word to me!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I was in New Orleans for Tails of the Cocktail last year...

On a side note; as a former restaurateur, that is the greatest convention of all time.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: RammerJammer

Some people do go there to drink… "drinkers'" often smoke, too.

Thanks for the owners perspective. Whats your experience past and present with altercations in the parking lot? How do the local laws address being drunk "in public" outside the bar door?

Turn a "blind eye"?

Our local law enforcement does turn a blind eye to people being intoxicated. We are an industry bar, we are the place the servers, cooks and other bartenders go to when they get off. We rarely have any altercations even in the parking lot which has security. If there is a problem it's usually someone running their mouth. Hipsters don't do a lot of fighting.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

But who cares really many areas in the country are smoke free maybe they will enjoy the higher class tourist. NO isn't really that big of a city anyway

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I can see why you would think that and that is the reason most bars and restaurants fail. Understanding why customers choose to frequent bars is key to the business. It costs $11 for a half case of bud light at the local store. I'll sell you that same half case for $36 and a $7 tip, are you still going to tell me people are at the bar to drink?

I see what you're saying, wasn't trying to be rude man sorry. I realize people don't go to a bar solely for the purpose of drinking. But, if people aren't drinking at a bar then it loses money and can't stay in business unless it turns into a multipurpose venue such as a restaurant or music venue. Cheers!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ratcals

originally posted by: kosmicjackLike it's okay to eat some artery-clogging Popeyes but don't light up while you wait.

You can’t compare my decision to eat unhealthy fast food to your decision to suck on cancer sticks. Me eating fast food has no negative affect on your health. Your smoking, however, does have a negative affect on my health. I don’t want to have to walk through your cancer cloud when you exhale it in my vicinity. I understand your right to smoke, but that doesn’t trump my right to not get cancer. BTW I don’t eat fast food either.

By that rationale, your right to drive a cancer causing gas powered vehicle pouring it's filthy poisonous exhaust into the air and poisoning me and everyone else trumps my right to smoke? Ah, see...so we should also ban the use of said gas powered/diesel powered vehicles as well. I don't want to walk through the cancer cloud from your vehicle. There are a heluva lot more vehicles than smokers.
edit on 23-1-2015 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The same law is in effect here in Michigan...no smoking in most locations. The just go outside in designated areas.

The restaurants and bars are now easier to sit in longer...and spend more $$.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Heh, yea I saw that, but if you own a bar your primary income is alcohol sales...so if nobody drinks, you don't make money, therefore you go out of business. If your primary income is not alcohol then you don't own a "bar".

So a bars success is as easy as selling alcohol? That's what brings in customers? I see people all the time that get some cash and with your line of thinking they want to open up a bar and or restaurant. And that is the reason most bars and restaurants fail.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It's Friday. I have to work tonight. Going to sleep. New Olreans will be just fine. They should worry more about crime.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join