It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atomic scientists set to make 'major announcement' about Doomsday Clock.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

So I was sitting here pondering what might be going on that is changing the outlook and I remembered a little story I read a couple of days go, that at this point I am willing to bet has a lot to do with what they are about to say....
(I did not see this on ATS so maybe someone might think it worthy of a thread because it seems to have slipped under everyone's radar, probably due to the French terror attack or maybe the search didn't find it)

Russia ends US nuclear security alliance

By Bryan Bender Globe Staff

WASHINGTON — The private diplomatic meetings took place over two days in mid-December in a hotel overlooking Moscow’s Red Square.

But unlike in previous such gatherings, the sense of camaraderie, even brotherhood, was overshadowed by an uncomfortable chill, according to participants.

In the previously undisclosed discussions, the Russians informed the Americans that they were refusing any more US help protecting their largest stockpiles of weapons-grade uranium and plutonium from being stolen or sold on the black market. The declaration effectively ended one of the most successful areas of cooperation between the former Cold War adversaries.

“I think it greatly increases the risk of catastrophic terrorism,” said Sam Nunn, the former Democratic senator from Georgia and an architect of the “cooperative threat reduction” programs of the 1990s.

after-two-decades-russia-nuclear-security-cooperation-becomes-casualty-deteriorating-relations

There is a lot more on the Boston Globe's link about what exactly was cut, which was basically almost ALL nuclear security cooperation between the US and Russia..

That is very bad,
for pretty obvious reasons.

When you look back at the history of the clock, a lot of it changes due to US/USSR relations over the years, in fact the biggest changes in the clock occur because of these two super powers reactions to each other.

So yep, I am thinking it will be two points subtracted from the clock (11:57)
that seems to be the average move due to failing treaties and break downs between Russia and the US.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I read that one yesterday to and it made me think they might drop it to 3 when i read about the announcement.
That plus other things like Japan says jets scrambling at record pace to counter Chinese, Russian intrusions
Apparently they are scrambling jets at a higher rate than the cold war

Think they have a live stream here TO SEE THE ANNOUNCEMENT: Go to thebulletin.org... on the Web as of 10:55 a.m. EST/1555 GMT on January 22, 2015.

But 3 is not that bad if it got to 1 then i might start digging a shelter lol

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Yeah, there is a lot going on so it is hard to tell how much they will drop it.

Now with all of the hacking, Russia moving into the Ukraine, N Korea working on ICBMs,
China doing weird things like building islands...ISIS & Syria/Iraq....the list goes on and on, and any of these could trigger off a nuclear war/accidental meltdown/launch,
no doubt we are close...

Hopefully not the last two minutes though.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

When you look back at the history of the clock, a lot of it changes due to US/USSR relations over the years, in fact the biggest changes in the clock occur because of these two super powers reactions to each other.

Yup, I see it too. Wonder why it wasn't changed in 1961 (Cuban Missile Crisis) ...or was that one of those 'the public was clueless until the threat had passed' scenarios?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Thanks, your video shows that they move the minute hand back and forth. So it could be moving to 7 minutes to midnight for all we know.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Is it analogue or digital? Or was it analogue in 1947 but today it's digital?

Personally I think they should use a sundial, the shadow will confuse them.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleGreenAlien

They always use a regular clock face for it.
That's why I made my little digital graphic back in the 90's,
cause I thought it would look cool in digital.

a reply to: new_here

Good question!
Maybe the Cuban missile crisis was over to quick for them to make changes.

edit on 22-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

It could happen that way, but I doubt it.

I don't know how realistic setting the clock back would be with the current events going on in the world, but you never know.
The clock was made to keep people aware of the issues we are facing as human beings, mainly nuclear.
A good reminder that we could really mess up and if the clock strikes 12....

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The Clock is not set and reset in real time as events occur; rather than respond to each and every crisis as it happens, the Science and Security Board meets twice annually to discuss global events in a deliberative manner. The closest nuclear war threat, the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, reached crisis, climax, and resolution before the Clock could be set to reflect that possible doomsday.

Perhaps they should make it a quarterly meeting.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I just read on the side of their website that it is now 3 minutes to Midnight.

When I clicked the link, it said access denied
so I think they are still working on it, but that would appear to be the time now.

Guess I should update my little clock...
I can't seem to find the live stream they said they were going to do though.
Video is up:
thebulletin.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I found the live stream, Enjoy. It is now 3 minutes. They are just wrapping it up.

Video Stream

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The reason behind the change summed up:

IT IS 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

2015:

Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth.” Despite some modestly positive developments in the climate change arena, current efforts are entirely insufficient to prevent a catastrophic warming of Earth. Meanwhile, the United States and Russia have embarked on massive programs to modernize their nuclear triads—thereby undermining existing nuclear weapons treaties. "The clock ticks now at just three minutes to midnight because international leaders are failing to perform their most important duty—ensuring and preserving the health and vitality of human civilization."

The other times it was 3 minutes to Midnight:

1949:

The Soviet Union denies it, but in the fall, President Harry Truman tells the American public that the Soviets tested their first nuclear device, officially starting the arms race. "We do not advise Americans that doomsday is near and that they can expect atomic bombs to start falling on their heads a month or year from now," the Bulletin explains. "But we think they have reason to be deeply alarmed and to be prepared for grave decisions."

1984:

U.S.-Soviet relations reach their iciest point in decades. Dialogue between the two superpowers virtually stops. "Every channel of communications has been constricted or shut down; every form of contact has been attenuated or cut off. And arms control negotiations have been reduced to a species of propaganda," a concerned Bulletin informs readers. The United States seems to flout the few arms control agreements in place by seeking an expansive, space-based anti-ballistic missile capability, raising worries that a new arms race will begin.

Timeline history

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Personally, I think the clock is silly..

Same here. Does anyone even listen to these guys anymore? I'd bet most of the kids in school have no idea this thing even exists. It's a dinosaur from the cold war time. I really don't care what their 'major announcement is'. (unless they are saying they are going to cease operations)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
I personally don't agree with that, but that is just me.

It is to keep people aware.

And people should be.

Just because the cold war ended does not mean nuclear threats have,
nor does it mean that the world could not end at any time.

I do understand people not wanting to look at it, but the reality is that the threat to the human race is still there, and still a real possibility.

But that is just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Ya beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing!

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why they only seem to factor in climatic changes and stockpiles of nuclear weapons. Nobody can predict what the sun will do, let alone the weather. It takes a significant level of coordinated participation in order to launch any nukes, and it's silly to think that they could successfully launch all of them, so I don't see the significance of the inventory numbers. They should really consider economic factors and social stability; but overall, it seems like this agency is primarily used to produce fear in order to carry out technocratic agendas.
edit on 12America/Chicago15pm12u01pm1 by HeyAHuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So we have three minutes? Source

Right?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The clock struck 12 on 3/11/11 when an earthquake and tsunami caused 3 nuclear reactors to go into meltdown.

It's been 4 years and the slow motion fusion reactions continue to contaminate the oceans and atmosphere.

This continued release of radioactive nuclides far surpasses that of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

The victim rate was estimated to be 50%, which was how many of us would develop cancer over the course of a lifetime, pre-Fukushima. This percentage will increase exponentially unless something is done to neutralize the corium.

A-bomb-acare is going to have a tough time preventing hundreds of millions of Americans from becoming casualties of this situation.

This isn't a "Nuclear Threat"; This is a nuclear reality.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
We've been warned for some time now...
And how does it mean nothing? It shows that the things mentioned are not getting better at the moment.

Simple, not hard to understand. Either you accept it or you don't but in that case try to come up with some believable theories why no major event is near.

edit on 22-1-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: joho99
en.wikipedia.org...

The Clock is not set and reset in real time as events occur; rather than respond to each and every crisis as it happens, the Science and Security Board meets twice annually to discuss global events in a deliberative manner. The closest nuclear war threat, the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, reached crisis, climax, and resolution before the Clock could be set to reflect that possible doomsday.

Perhaps they should make it a quarterly meeting.

Ok, that makes sense! Google must be your friend, lol...

edit on 1/22/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join