It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polish 'stealth' aircraft? Why not!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
We all know about stealth technology and how important it is. More and more countries tries to hide their planes. Poland in late 80s became their project. It was named as PZL-230 Scorpion. The project was started in the late 1980s by the PZL (Polish State Aviation Works) and cancelled in 1994 due to a lack of funds. Over the years design of the project was changed and finally it got stealth capabilities. "Stealth" version was built in 1992 and was named "F".

Later versions were named 'D', and included a 'DT' training aircraft and a 'DB' combat variant. In 1993 the project was accepted by the airforce, but due to budget cuts it was cancelled in 1994.

It was a combination of SR-71 Blackbird and F-16.

PZL-230 Scorpion

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeedFanatic

The problem is that the Polish stealth technology worked so well, that they can't find the planes on the runway!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Its not very often someone throws up an aviation project I've never heard of but this is one of those times.

Fascinating stuff - thanks for highlighting it.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Poland is not going to let what happened in the 1930s happen again. They've built up quite a military and are growing it more. Block 50/52 F-16s, JASSM, JDAM, entering a European consortium to buy four tankers for joint use...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BendingTheTruth
a reply to: SpeedFanatic

The problem is that the Polish stealth technology worked so well, that they can't find the planes on the runway!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not the case. The money disappeared first!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BendingTheTruth

It was demonstrator... not even operational aircraft...

This is the role of demonstrators, they are produced to check how works new technology.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
Its not very often someone throws up an aviation project I've never heard of but this is one of those times.

Fascinating stuff - thanks for highlighting it.

I have to agree. Pretty damn sweet

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Nice, a modern(ish) A-10 ready to pound the Russian Armour!

Pity they canned it, I can't help think if we ever entered a large war with high atrician rates, some small, lightweight fast bomb trucks will be needed to hold back the ground armies whilst the expensive fast air is holding the skies.

It's OK if we are offensive to disable air space then send in the ground, but I think Russia would do both at the same time in large numbers.

Suppose attack helo' are just as good for armour.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The design reminds me a lot of Ruttan's Ares Model 151 demonstrator right down to the swept canards:

new topics

top topics

join