It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Officially the Hottest Year on Record: Is this not of concern?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can almost predict the responses to this thread in advance from some of the naysayers, about climate change and global warning. There will of course be those who say either the solar system is warming, or there's a warming trend, as well as those who will say climate change is natural and us humans couldn't possibly have an effect on temperatures. Others will speak of the Al Gore/Carbon Credit scam designed to extort funds away from those oh so poor oil/petroleum companies, and of course Murdoch has no vested interest in denying global warming. There will also be a few who simply make jokes without any evidence to back them up.

Is it not of concern that 2014 is officially the hottest year on record?

www.theage.com.au...

Record-breaking temperatures scorched the planet last year, making 2014 the hottest in more than a century and raising new concerns about global warming, US government scientists said on Friday.

The much-anticipated report by scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was confirmed by an independent analysis from the US space agency NASA that reached the same conclusion.

"Record warmth was spread around the world," said the NOAA report.

This too;

Extreme heat blanketed Alaska and much of the western United States last year. Several European countries set temperature records. And the ocean surface was unusually warm virtually everywhere except around Antarctica, the scientists said, providing the energy that fueled damaging Pacific storms.

In the annals of climatology, 2014 now surpasses 2010 as the warmest year in a global temperature record that stretches back to 1880. The 10 warmest years on record have all occurred since 1997, a reflection of the relentless planetary warming that scientists say is a consequence of human emissions and poses profound long-term risks to civilisation and to the natural world.

Record cold for the year was apparent only in some parts of the eastern and central United States.

And for those who believe in science, is this not of concern. '10 warmest years on record have occurred since 1997'. Even if this is natural, is it not of concern?

Does the fact that this data comes from both NASA, and NOAA make any difference, or is it all part of the Al Gore conspiracy?

From the Guardian news;

www.theguardian.com...

NASA and NOAA have just reported that global surface temperatures in 2014 were the hottest on record. That also means 2014 was likely the hottest the Earth has been in millennia, and perhaps as much as 100,000 years.

But what’s really remarkable is that 2014 set this record without the aid of an El Niño event. El Niño events create conditions in which sea surface and hence global surface temperatures are anomalously hot. We call this part of the Earth’s “internal variability” because these events just temporarily shift heat around between the ocean surface and its depths.

I don't know about anybody else, but I personally find all these 'records' being set to be somewhat alarming.

Does anyone else not find this news to be of concern?
edit on 16-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Life is a cycle, it'll cool again...you'll see

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Bring it to me then...It has been negative 10 wind chill for weeks now...It was probably negative 15 in years past, global warming, right?? Sorry my eyes are rolling while typing...

Yeah we haven't gotten much snow in November/December like usual in PA, but it has been cold!!
edit on 1/16/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

From your source:

"2014 was only the 34th warmest year on record for the lower 48 states."

Their explanation is that global warming is causing unusually cold temperatures in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Not too concerned no. It will warm up, then cool down. Then it will likely warm up again.

And as far as the Al Gore carbon credit scam, those evil corporations and diabolical oil companies will pass that cost directly to you and I. The poor will pay that bill. Not the rich.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy
it'll cool again...you'll see

said the lobster in the pot

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
There is very little we can do, even if anthropogenic climate change is accurate. Just go an try changing the world's appetite for carbon-laden fossil fuels and the power elite will gangstalk you until you change your tune. Believe me, nearly every argument against anthropogenic climate change is invalid and yet they still remain. So, until the day the U.S. government and businesses follow through on making the U.S. completely energy independent, we will have to deal with the fossil fuel energy companies controlling nearly everything.

Also, there is some evidence that some aspects of weather can be manipulated, so we have to factor that into the mix as well. Anyway, very little will be done as long as the power elite remain.
edit on 16-1-2015 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Here in Scotland i wouldn't say it was the "Hottest" year, but i could tell it was one of the mildest years i have ever known and i didn't need expensive equipment to work that out. I had the Gas switched off from March right through to the end of September.

Looking out the window now..-1 and snowing heavy. Gas up full pelt.
edit on 16-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

From your source:

"2014 was only the 34th warmest year on record for the lower 48 states."

Their explanation is that global warming is causing unusually cold temperatures in the U.S.

Now I thought you were a scientist of sorts.

phys.org...

Yet some scientists, eyeing the fourth year in a row of exceptionally harsh late-winter weather in parts of Europe and North America, suggest warming is precisely the problem.

In a complex tango between ocean and atmosphere, warming is causing icy polar air to be displaced southwards, they contend.

"The linkage is becoming clearer and clearer, I think, although the science has not yet been settled," said Dim Coumou of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) near Berlin.

The theory derives from a long-studied Arctic phenomenon called a positive feedback—in plain words, a vicious circle.

On a similar theme, this;

science.time.com...

But not only does the cold spell not disprove climate change, it may well be that global warming could be making the occasional bout of extreme cold weather in the U.S. even more likely. Right now much of the U.S. is in the grip of a polar vortex, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a whirlwind of extremely cold, extremely dense air that forms near the poles. Usually the fast winds in the vortex—which can top 100 mph (161 k/h)—keep that cold air locked up in the Arctic. But when the winds weaken, the vortex can begin to wobble like a drunk on his fourth martini, and the Arctic air can escape and spill southward, bringing Arctic weather with it. In this case, nearly the entire polar vortex has tumbled southward, leading to record-breaking cold.

edit on 16-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Not too concerned no. It will warm up, then cool down. Then it will likely warm up again.

And as far as the Al Gore carbon credit scam, those evil corporations and diabolical oil companies will pass that cost directly to you and I. The poor will pay that bill. Not the rich.

Yes,

Need Carbon Credit Scam!

No matter what the problem, this is the solution.

Due to this and multiple frauds in climate models, predictions, and placing temperature monitors on blacktop parking lots to accomplish the desired results for the last 20 years, nobody can trust the data.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
lol i honestly thought you were on to something with this title. I don't think it's intentional, but it is misleading since the article you quoted states quite clearly "the hottest in more than a century". Why pretend for the topic title's sake that its the hottest year on record in the history of, well the record, some how? lol

Not only that, I thought you'd answer your own question. Why are you asking us if we should be concerned or alarmed? The way you're propositioning this has me doubting just who the hell you really are any more...."cuckooold". You've changed.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I want to see the records from before 1880.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What's the next big thread; "Climate change found to directly cause changes in weather!"? How terrifying.

Still I don't see your point. Do you want somebody to talk you into or out of this mess? Points to you for making a thread though, at least you are constructive. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I can almost predict the responses to this thread in advance from some of the naysayers, about climate change and global warning. There will of course be those who say either the solar system is warming, or there's a warming trend, as well as those who will say climate change is natural and us humans couldn't possibly have an effect on temperatures. Others will speak of the Al Gore/Carbon Credit scam designed to extort funds away from those oh so poor oil/petroleum companies, and of course Murdoch has no vested interest in denying global warming. There will also be a few who simply make jokes without any evidence to back them up.

AHA!
You missed one!

What about the people (like me) that state there is not enough empirical evidence to state one way or the other? I'm not going to scream that the sky is falling without enough proper empirical evidence showing this isn't a trend. How can anyone?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: aynock

originally posted by: scubagravy
it'll cool again...you'll see

said the lobster in the pot

Lobsters talk? Wow! How long has this been goin on?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
THE SUN

Has no dimmer switch...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
To answer your question, no, it is not even in the top 10,000 concerns of mine.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

What about the people (like me) that state there is not enough empirical evidence to state one way or the other? I'm not going to scream that the sky is falling without enough proper empirical evidence showing this isn't a trend. How can anyone?

You're wrong. The empirical evidence is extensive and strong, as well as the theoretical mechanistic explanation. This level of evidence is strong enough to convince people in every other area of science.

Oil companies spend billions on drilling using geophysical models & projections which are substantially less predictive than atmospheric climate and weather. And rightly so.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Lobsters talk? Wow! How long has this been goin on?

long time - they dance as well

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
People who think that hundreds of years of exponential pollution can have a negative effect on the ecosystem they know so much about are idiots!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join