It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for camping advice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
My previous camping experience is in Cyprus Hills. It gets darn cold there at night and no, we did not have the right type of gear. This year is different. I am prepared for the cold.

It is a drive in site so there will be no hiking to where we need to set up camp. I am in the process of breaking in some hiking boots (2miles a night). I have bear spray and bear bells to wear while hiking (although I'm worried it might sound like a dinner bell! lol ) and don't have a gun nor a license to carry one (no desire, although that line of thinking might change if I get chased by a bear).

I have listened to all of Paulides and read the first book. I'm not too worried. Of all the people that go into the parks, only a super small percentage don't come out, I have more of a chance dying in a car crash on the way to work (4 blocks away).

I am going with a mix of people that have hiked/camped many times, to people that just popped out of the movie Clueless.

I thank you all for the tips, humour, and poetry.

Any other small things that I may overlook that you yourself overlooked as a small thing while heading out for a hike?

Thank you again!
edit on 16-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Wellingtons not for hiking, for fishing, crossing streams, leisure time, you can get gum overboots that don't weigh much.

Sound deterrent for bears, like a spray horn.

www.wildsnow.com...
www.tingleyrubber.com...

www.bearsmart.com...

Signal horns can be an effective means of scaring bears away. They are small, light and easy to use, perfect for backcountry or home use.

The Falcon Supersound weighs just 1.5 oz and emits a piercing blast that can be heard up to 1/2 mile away. It's 100 per cent ozone safe and non-flammable, and contains approximately 200, two-second blasts.

edit on 16-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
My previous camping experience is in Cyprus Hills. It gets darn cold there at night and no, we did not have the right type of gear. This year is different. I am prepared for the cold.

It is a drive in site so there will be no hiking to where we need to set up camp. I am in the process of breaking in some hiking boots (2miles a night). I have bear spray and bear bells to wear while hiking (although I'm worried it might sound like a dinner bell! lol ) and don't have a gun nor a license to carry one (no desire, although that line of thinking might change if I get chased by a bear).

I have listened to all of Paulides and read the first book. I'm not too worried. Of all the people that go into the parks, only a super small percentage don't come out, I have more of a chance dying in a car crash on the way to work (4 blocks away).

I am going with a mix of people that have hiked/camped many times, to people that just popped out of the movie Clueless.

I thank you all for the tips, humour, and poetry.

Any other small things that I may overlook that you yourself overlooked as a small thing while heading out for a hike?

Thank you again!

If a bear chases you with the intent of catching you, the bear will catch you. I'd suggest that the most important think to take is your own car and a full tank of gas.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Wellingtons not for hiking, for fishing, crossing streams, leisure time, you can get gum overboots that don't weigh much.

Sound deterrent for bears, like a spray horn.

LOL. I was picturing ear plugs.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Yah, I am bringing a car, but the hiking trails are inaccessible to vehicles.

Maybe a WASP knife?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Yah, I am bringing a car, but the hiking trails are inaccessible to vehicles.

Maybe a WASP knife?

The car with the full tank of gas is so you can leave when you figure out you're not ready for this.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The chance encounter with a bear equals not ready? I've camped in Cypress Hills with cougars around with no problems. I was just wondering about items that people often overlook while hiking, but, thanks for the advice, I'll take my chances. Thanks!

edit on 17-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The chance encounter with a bear equals not ready? I've camped in Cypress Hills with cougars around with no problems. I was just wondering about items that people often overlook while hiking, but, thanks for the advice, I'll take my chances. Thanks!

No, I wasn't thinking about bears when I mentioned the car. I was thinking more about you deciding in the middle of the night that you're too cold and uncomfortable sleeping on the ground and want to go home.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Ahh, I get you now. Have you ever tried hammock camping? Or would that be more for ultralightweight camping/hiking? I actually shivered myself awake in Cypress hills and stayed so a little cold wouldn't defeat me, plus I'm very prepared for cold weather now.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Ahh, I get you now. Have you ever tried hammock camping? Or would that be more for ultralightweight camping/hiking? I actually shivered myself awake in Cypress hills and stayed so a little cold wouldn't defeat me, plus I'm very prepared for cold weather now.

No, I haven't tried that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join