It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So they are asking for PayPal now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Peeps have dontated without wanting a gift. I enjoy ATS and like it being here. I have no need for a tacky figift however..

:-)

Yes but that is just a fraction of who can donate. If you like to donate without anything other than the satisfaction of knowing your favorite website has it a little easier, fine by me. Just know another 10 maybe 20 won't donate to your one donation.

I feel with the content on here now a days if I were to pay for news I might as well just subscribe to a couple local newspapers. And until this site turns for the better it won't reciece any donations from me.

And that is my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Believe it or not there are people still left alive on this planet who will give with no expectation beyond knowing they are keeping something they hold dear to their hearts and, more importantly, to their minds, ALIVE with zero expectation of some prize for doing so.

Let me be clear, there are, and never will be, any perks to donating money to ATS.

NONE that you don't get from within yourself for doing something noble if you feel it.

That would be the single most stupid thing we could do and that's not to mention it would also be the most insulting to those who give us great content that keeps the site viable and interesting but don't have the extra money to spare to help out.

They don't need to give money, they give enough to this community already.

That's exactly why I put my money into ATS first into ATS way back in 2003. I had zero expectations of anything in return beyond the site would still be here when I got back from Aruba. It was, I was thrilled and we've moved forward ever since.

To assert there will be some special class of member because of donations to help keep the site alive is utterly false.

If you can't afford the $10.00 then PLEASE DON'T donate it. We truly don't want it. We never ever want to be the cause of hardship, we're here for one reason and one reason alone, to facilitate the free exchange of ideas and opinion in a venue that will get our members the MOST VIEWS possible.

Really...
edit on 1-15-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The donation level, just like the "donate or not to donate" question is entirely up to the member isn't it? The amount has ZERO impact on us beyond the immediacy of the help it provides. We certainly have no say over it in the front end and will not have any in the back end. As stated i my last it would be the most stupid of things to do.

We haven't (nor will we) published who has donated what (and here's the best part, we don't know for certain who donated $10.00 or $50.00) so there can be no distinctions, like those you apparently are so concerned about.

NOT happening.

Won't happen.

Relax and add some awesome content please!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I have been here longer than the majority of you have

hmmm...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

I have been here longer than the majority of you have

hmmm...

Hmm what? You could read my introduction and it could have filled you in. But you know that code they give you when you register? Someone decided to clean out my computer desk with the only known location of the password on a sticky note.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

In your OP here you state :
I have been here longer than the majority of you have and I have seen a great deal of change, both for good and for worse, but with every emotion I have loved this place. When I found the site in '99 I was 8 and almost instantly my eyes opened to the world around me.

In your intro thread you say:
Truthfully I been a member to this site since 2002 I found it when I was 13 looking up top secret weapons for a school project. Hard to believe but I remember this site when it was just a baby with each post being remarkable and brilliant. But those were the golden days.

With all due respect, you owe someone an apology.

Also, what was your original username?

I would hate to think someone was using "stolen valor" ,for lack of a better term, to bash an honest donation option.
edit on 17-1-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

I have been here longer than the majority of you have and I have seen a great deal of change, both for good and for worse, but with every emotion I have loved this place. When I found the site in '99 I was 8 and almost instantly my eyes opened to the world around me.

Truthfully I been a member to this site since 2002 I found it when I was 13 looking up top secret weapons for a school project. Hard to believe but I remember this site when it was just a baby with each post being remarkable and brilliant. But those were the golden days.

I would hate to think someone was using "stolen valor" ,for lack of a better term, to bash an honest donation option.

Owe who an apology? I stated that I found the site in '99 and have been a member since '02. I didn't even have Internet when I was 8. I was in the library trying to look up cheats for that old shooting game Area 51 when we finally got it on the original playstation. In doing so I found this site, and was only able to browse for about an hour. I then forgot about it for a couple years so why would I count that? Then I finally got internet and when searching for a school project I stumbled onto the site again, and became a member.

Anything else you would like to know?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Great, don't donate. Your boast about being here longer than most, is false. Do you even know how old this web site is? You are ignorant on so many levels and in so many ways with this thread. Read more.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
I stated that I found the site in '99 and have been a member since '02. ...

I've been here since 2004. What was your member name back then? Same as now?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The only thing I wnt to know is why this thread isnt locked yet.

PS. Don't write passwords down?
edit on 17-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist

Great, don't donate. Your boast about being here longer than most, is false. Do you even know how old this web site is? You are ignorant on so many levels and in so many ways with this thread. Read more.

If you don't believe me then dont. It doesn't change my life in any bit. Ignorant for having my own beliefs about this site? Should I just comply and follow the norm of the site and suck up to people I see. Giving money for nothing? That should be the motto. Especially when being accused of being false about when I have signed up. That really makes me want to donate!!!!!

And if you or anyone else has a suspicion about when I subscribed, you've been here since 2010 great 5 years for you to call someone out, since you're an all so senior member here.

I bet you don't even remember one of the original site versions. Where there were no ads, and the new top and recent posts were just on the front page. Complete without that auto loading ticker that is always updating when you want to be glued to here.

So after all this criticism you tell me, should i really donate now?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I stated that I found the site in '99 and have been a member since '02. ...

I've been here since 2004. What was your member name back then? Same as now?

No it was different. I just don't see the point in retaining a username from a 13 year old account I have no possible way of getting into. I was a 13 year old not a Rolodex, even though that would have probably saved the account back then.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

You said in an introduction that your previous user name was 'Lizard'. I did a search and did not find any Lizard, Lizzard, or The Lizard. I did find a user name with Lizard in it, but it was from 2007, and was not you. I searched the archive here, and on google in the time period you said you were here. I found that odd.

Thinking that people do not give money for nothing, is ignorant. People give generously all the time, often anonymously even, just for the joy it gives them to give. To support something you love is a gift in itself.

Anything you want to say to me, say, you do not need to PM me. I believe I told you not to donate.
edit on 17-1-2015 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

I take it back, I searched the membership list and found Lizard. It says you visited last 1/17/15, so I guess you figured out how to get into your old account? Congratulations

I found no posts or threads under that user name, so it is no wonder you did not come up in a search.
edit on 17-1-2015 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist
a reply to: Iamschist

I take it back, I searched the membership list and found Lizard. It says you visited last 1/17/15, so I guess you figured out how to get into your old account? Congratulations

I found no posts or threads under that user name, so it is no wonder you did not come up in a search.

Where are you getting that my last user name was anything to do with lizard. It had to do with where I live.

But thank you for more assumptions. And yes I PM'd you because that's what it's there for. I never said for people not to donate did I? I'm just saying this right here. People that think they can one up someone before reading all the facts. That's my reason not to donate.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

So what was the original name you used?

You keep ducking the question...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

It had to do with where I live.

What was the name? I've been here since 2004 and I might remember it.
You said it has to do with where you live - current tense.
So you must live in the same place. Should be easy to remember.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well it wouldn't make much sense to send a gift to everyone. That would be counter-productive. Might be a good plan if they're really just desiring your home adress though.

If your offended by the request for donations, it's best just to ignore it and not donate.

I'm not in a position to donate, nor do I have a paypal account, so I won't. I just ignore it.

If it comes down to a rule where you have to pay for membership, I'm not that emotionally attached to this place, so I would not pay to be here. I don't come here so often lately.

I do like Heff's point about seeing it as paying for entertainment. That's a good way to look at it, if you can spare the money.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

we all know it's a farce. A simple answering of the question would probably put all the arguments to rest

Regardless, whether this 'ancient' member has been here a week, a year or since day one, makes no difference.

OP...get over yourself...please. I mean I just can't fathom how many times the argument has to be made "donate or don't."

I surely cannot speak for Springer, Crack or SO but here is the feeling I get in bullet point format

1. DO NOT DONATE IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD - they seem to care deeply about this site, but not enough to make their members go broke. Simple enough

2. Donate IF you want - Again they want this intense labor of love to thrive and make it, but they have yet to make even a simple notion that they would think differently of any of us if we donated 2500 or walked back to the threads and didn't donate. I can't see how much simpler it could be. Do it, or don't. They still care about the members. Period

3. And here is where your premise irritates me. Do you need a "prize" to support a place with a donation? If so...wow...sickening IMO. I do ok money wise, nothing grand and I am certainly not even well off. But the few organizations I donate to silently ((for the most part...yeah I admit on ATS I said I donated)) but beyond that, the feeling I get is the important part. I find something I want to donate to. Love their cause. Make sure they aren't hucksters. And press the 'accept' button and whoosh....there goes the money. They never knew it was me and I don't care. My name isn't on some special page and I don't care. You donate to something you agree with enough to want to see it thrive. Nobody is saying a persona who cannot or does not donate to ATS is any better or worse than anyone else. But if you love ATS and want to toss a few bucks at it to get past this DDOS crap, then hit that button. If not, then don't. Outside of those who posted that they donated, I don't know if the person I am responding to dropped $0 or maybe dropped 2500! I don't know and I don't care.

People should donate and not need something in return to do so. Do it for the pride, the organization or your self. If you are donating for a present then I'd think your priorities aren't quite where they should be in an organization you support. There is a big difference in, say, running a 5k and getting a t-shirt saying "yay you finished!" and donating to something you care about and needing some sticker on your car or laptop so you can say "look what I did!"

I am sorry if this is rude, but you need to get to work on your intrinsic values. Not talking religion, spirituality, nothing outside of you or me. Had you never made this thread and never donated or donated 1000 dollars, I would have treated you the same. Anyway...dead horse...beaten

adios

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

So what was the original name you used?

You keep ducking the question...

If I remembered it I would have told you.

Do you remember what you ate for the month of December 13 years ago?

I didn't think so.

I'm not ducking a question I've told you repeatedly that I cannot recall what my user name was, so you can stop asking. If you can magically make me remember through some telepathic seance, please be my guest. But until then i don't remember and don't plan on remembering on a dead account I have no way of getting into.

But thank you for your concerns.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join