It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans attack Social Security on day one

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I understand. I've got horror stories of my own. They always go to far.

Their philosophy doesnt work and they have lost the argument and imo depend on ignorance and predjudice to succed.

edit on 17-1-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: MOMof3

I understand. I've got horror stories of my own. They always go to far.

Yep. They went too far...with Social Security. It has become something that it was never supposed to be.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cardinalfan0596

In a perfect world, everyone would have the financial wherewithal to take care of themselves. In a perfect world, no one would become sick/disabled, unemployed, elderly. Because the world is not perfect, even though we might intensely long for it, we take care of each other. As tribes unite, we pool our resources to offer a modicum of support to members, seeing it as beneficial to the group, so the group will not suffer collapse.

Every economic system has prices its citizens must pay. Social Security is the price citizens pay for a capitalistic economy in America. When capitalism fails citizens, safety nets are around to prevent complete collapse of both economic and government systems.

There is nothing wrong with private investment or assistance. Both have always been a part of the American economy. What is wrong is to believe that private investment and assistance is all that needs to be. The 21st century especially is not the 19th or the 20th.

Also, “Wall Street” is used to refer to a broad range of investments, even 30 year govt bonds, with a broad range of risk. Wall Street rhetorically refers to the “investment industry” that wants to sell you a “product”. The term “savings account” that has replaced the traditional American “savings account” now can refer to investments primarily coming from the financial industry (“Wall Street”).

The opposite of the kumbaya trope (used by right wing cynics who believe it to symbolize a naïve world view) is the “rugged individual”, their own naïve world view.

Lastly, since SS was never intended as sole retirement income, investing the equivalent (roughly 6%) of FICA from personal income is a great idea to have retirement funds beyond SS! Some people have that much to invest, many don't. For too many, every cent of income goes towards expenses. In the current US economy driven by consumerism, the latter seems the expected.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join