It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange E-mail from denyignorance.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
WTF!

To: *****@abovetopsecret.com
Subject: CUSTOMER SERVICE: YOUR ACCOUNT IN WASHINGTON MUTUAL
Date Sent: 12-14-2004 08:15 AM
Attachments: acquitting.GIF (6.18KB)

Options: mark as unread | view source | save as | printable version | edit subject

in 1850 Attila the Hun Rosh Hashana Food San Diego in 1881 What's your viewpoint in 1977 let's forget Death Penalty Cindy Margolis Penthouse when placed We've been cut off in 1882 Simpsons Friends .Let's come back Blink 182 I'm with you French hospitals Science Fair Projects in 1850 BACK TO help me

Can someone explain why this spam has an ATS-ish address? I almost never use this email address so I don't even know how this spam came about. Is anyone else getting this?

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Perhaps one of the more tech savy folks can explain it, but it looks like the email address was spoofed. Hopefuly you didn't open the attachment. Odd that whomever sent it (seems more like a malicous attack than
) used the ATS address...

Can you trace it via the header?

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Katolu]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Typical spammer technique. I got one like this one also. You put your "jonna@" ATS email in a public page somewhere on the Internet, it was found by spammer's site scrapers. When sending the message, the spammer's server automatically changes the reply-to email address to [something]@[target-server], in this case, "[email protected]" This prevents bounced messages on servers that deny relaying (ours). The header data, shows the actual orgin of the message.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Opps! Didn't even see the "srv01". I must need coffee.

It attempted to open it within the email, but failed.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Typical spammer technique. I got one like this one also.

You put your "jonna@" ATS email in a public page somewhere on the Internet, it was found by spammer's site scrapers.

Thanks SO. I do not recall ever doing do, but perhaps it got passed around accidentally by someone I converse with. I'll go back and edit the original message.

top topics

join