It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku & Galactic Colonization

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

i agree with you on many points current tech will not get us out of our solar system, but if we could focus tech developement on practical applications (and not just toys that take beter selfies) it can be attainable within 50-100 years. As for who would pay for it, the only way would be for the entire planet to get on the bandwagon forgoing monetary value of resourses.... ya we have a loooong way to go as a species to accomplish this.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

There are billions of habitable planets, most of them won't have anyone on them.

That's reassuring....how do you know?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Global Colonization by whom? If we find a planet to live on and have the technology to do so...why would the general public be allowed to go when rich lives matter more? I see a realistic Elysium (that movie with Matt Damon) take direction and instead of a space station the rich live on a planet where we couldn't touch them. Politically this would be ideal; keep the filthy poor on the planet and any law passed has no repercussions as they are no longer within reach to us. The powers who lead us certainly will not do anything that benefits everyone and I feel that if I were allowed the opportunity to live on another planet that I would be signing off on an agreement with fine print. Paranoia? Maybe. But I see it as an educated guess. Of course it's only speculation...I have an overactive imagination.

P.S. Michio Kaku is a personal hero. I take great enjoyment in watching his lectures and short videos

edit on 9-1-2015 by InfinityandBeyond because: P.S.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: InfinityandBeyond
If we find a planet to live on and have the technology to do so...why would the general public be allowed to go when rich lives matter more? I see a realistic Elysium (that movie with Matt Damon) take direction and instead of a space station the rich live on a planet where we couldn't touch them.

Or maybe the dystopian future involves the rich inhabiting Earth and shipping the poor off-world.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Because if the density of civilizations were high to the point of being say 1 in 10 habitable planets then we'd see evidence of this. So civilizations must be a bit more rare than 1 in 10 or even 1 in 1,000.

edit on 9-1-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
A stargate might work, jut think if we can teleport one particle, then perhaps we could teleport many over vast distances.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Because if the density of civilizations were high to the point of being say 1 in 10 habitable planets then we'd see evidence of this. So civilizations must be a bit more rare than 1 in 10 or even 1 in 1,000.

That's just BS speculation. So far we only know of 1 habitable planet and 1 civilization. That's not much of a statistical base to formulate anykind of conclusion on. That's just adolescent gamer style fantasy theory with no basis in reality.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

That's just BS speculation. So far we only know of 1 habitable planet and 1 civilization. That's not much of a statistical base to formulate anykind of conclusion on. That's just adolescent gamer style fantasy theory with no basis in reality.

I would guess there is life on every and all planets, life can form in the most harsh environments like say ummm the BIG BANG.

As to colonization, I think changing human biology so we could survive indefinatly in space and be solar powered like superman would be pretty cool. Also some kind of biological magnetic propulsion or torsion fields could be made with biotechnology somehow.
edit on 9-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I think Human kind should stay in their " Cage " (Planet Earth ) , until they Evolve to the point where they would not Contaminate another World with their Instinctive Brutality and Destructiveness , say in about another Million Years or So .............

edit on 9-1-2015 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
I think Human kind should stay in their " Cage " (Planet Earth ) , until they Evolve to the point where they would not Contaminate another World with their Instinctive Brutality and Destructiveness , say in about another Million Years or So .............

Or we could spread our thoughts with nanobots which know how to self replicate, through solar systam milky way or anywhere we designate!

edit on 9-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Or we could spread our thoughts with nanobots which know how to self replicate, through solar systam milky way or anywhere we designate!

Kind of like Galactic SPAM ...............Hmm...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Kind of like Galactic SPAM ...............Hmm...

Galactic spam is made of the thoughts of people!

edit on 10-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Actually it has a basis in reality. It's called astrobiology and exoplanet studies.

Just because you have a habitable planet does not mean you automatically will get space-faring ETs on it. It's complex business just as you can see here:

That said we know of planets with some basic habitability as close as 12 light years away (basically right next door).

And yet it doesn't appear anyone is home there.

Another factor you must consider is time. We have NO idea how long civilizations typically last. Without that, even if we knew their frequency it would be almost impossible to know the density of them in our Milky Way galaxy.

One thing we do know is that the more complex the form of life on Earth the more rare it is. As above, so below.

edit on 10-1-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
First we the people need to take back control of our existence here on Mother Earth. Than we can chose to spend money for exploration of space rather than the exploding of human heads. Only then can we really entertain the idea of Galactic Colinization.

Could you imagine a bunch of monkey in space blowing # up because "they" (whom or whatever) hate us for our freedoms?

It would seem that George Carlin agrees with you.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It may not take us anytime at all.

Imagine an advanced race showing up tomorrow with interstellar travel abilities.

They share the tech with us, and *poof* here we go!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals

That would be like giving children matches to play with.

Technology such as FTL travel should probably be discovered rather than given if for no other reason than we will respect it more and hence use it wisely rather in a frivolous manner.
edit on 10-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
How about the whole space colony thing does anyone think its a good idea?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I think building orbital facility's for accommodation, industrial and scientific purposes if definitely the way forward. It will prepare us for and allow interplanetary ships to be built in a cost-effective environment and eventuality pave the way towards humanitys first attempt at interstellar travel.

Essentially we will need to learn to sail in our own little pond before we attempt to cross the ocean that is deep space.
edit on 11-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: UmbraSumus

originally posted by: InfinityandBeyond
If we find a planet to live on and have the technology to do so...why would the general public be allowed to go when rich lives matter more? I see a realistic Elysium (that movie with Matt Damon) take direction and instead of a space station the rich live on a planet where we couldn't touch them.

Or maybe the dystopian future involves the rich inhabiting Earth and shipping the poor off-world.

Already happened.

Though instead of planets it was continents.

Ie British empire shipping convicts, Poor people, Religious nuts and Irish off to Australia, south Africa and the Americas

edit on 11-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think colonizing the moon would be a good start.

edit on 11-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join