It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I Delete This File?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore[8BE52DBC-761A-43F0-ADE1-9D7E9179E1E7]\RP1144\A0253510.dll **INFECTED** Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

This file shows up red on aswMBR scan, I am not sure if I can just go and delete it?
Thanks for any help

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

You can turn off system restore which will purge the restore entry points, and then turn it back on.

You will lose any prior system restore points.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: sixswornsermon

You can turn off system restore which will purge the restore entry points, and then turn it back on.

A fair suggestion...

To answer your question: Yes you can, but if you have any feeling that you'll ever want to go back to that restore point, I don't suggest doing so.

I'd probably go with Char-Lee's idea here; it'll get rid of the file, and run another restore point for you hopefully without said viral object.

My Real suggestion though? Turn off system restore, back up your files to a cloud service or an external drive, and go through the lengthy process of making a real system image using something like Acronis. System Restore points are trash.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: sixswornsermon

Thank you! I appreciate it very much.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

Whew above my head :-) I barely get how to use Sys restore!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hi Char-Lee I would advise you not to fool with deleting system restore unless you are very sure you will never have to go back in time on your hard drive. The last thing I am is tech savy but I have done two really stupid things that cost me all my data at different times.

Yep the fist one was clearing out system restore just hoping that would do the trick, It did not as you can see do the trick at all and I had no way to reboot after that stupid act.

The second most stupid thing I did was click on the Repair FireFox button whilst I was having major problems with my PC.
Lost it all again but live and learn, I know the feeling you want your problems fixed and you tend to get click happy as you panic at the thought of not having a computer to use.

Go slow and ask those who know :-) Wait out your thread before you do anything rash, I have gotten tons of help in this forum and it was all positive.

Good Luck
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Thanks Iwinder, I wish computers were self fixing :-)

There is so much involved and lately it seems everytime I come to ATS I end up with something. yesterday I came on and got a red screen that said I was being taken to a phishing site. I have a webpage that opens everytime I come on before I log in and it seems to have some annoying adware or something so I have to run CCleaner.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

CCleaner is not going to remove malware.
Download and run Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.org...
Install it. Run, update and remove all the stuff it finds. Repeat if necessary.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: staple

Thank you staple...
I will do that.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

There is so much involved and lately it seems everytime I come to ATS I end up with something. yesterday I came on and got a red screen that said I was being taken to a phishing site. I have a webpage that opens everytime I come on before I log in and it seems to have some annoying adware or something so I have to run CCleaner.

This right here sounds like you've got yourself a browser hacker malware.

The reason why it happens when you come to ATS is because you're here regularly (most likely daily) which means the malware is recognizing the same familiar cookies and thus has 'clung' onto them, which is when the redirect malware will kick in the minute you come to this site.

Do a full cleaning of your system with each of these programs:

CClean
Malwarebytes
Hijack This

Those three are the best for getting rid of malware... using each one will make sure that at least one of the programs did the trick.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

This right here sounds like you've got yourself a browser hacker malware.

The reason why it happens when you come to ATS is because you're here regularly (most likely daily) which means the malware is recognizing the same familiar cookies and thus has 'clung' onto them, which is when the redirect malware will kick in the minute you come to this site.

Do a full cleaning of your system with each of these programs:

CClean
Malwarebytes
Hijack This

Those three are the best for getting rid of malware... using each one will make sure that at least one of the programs did the trick.

Thanks...yes I turn on the computer and home page here so it stays open during the day so looks like i am here all of the time. guess i should at least take it off home page. Thank you.

top topics

join