It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Might as well share...charcoal and a digital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
How's everyone doing? I've been a member for some time, but never really have the time to put together any meaningful threads, so I generally just read and comment.

Then it dawned on me--the least I could do is post up a few images of some art I've created over the past few years for you guys to check out. At least this will give me a number higher than zero for the number of threads I've created, so there's that.

Hopefully you like them...the one of my son goes back 10 years, whereas the eagle was created using a Wacom tablet and Photoshop about 2 years ago. I haven't really had the time to do much since then, which is a shame, because I love drawing, and people tell me I'm good at it.

Anyhoo, here you go. Thanks for looking, and have a dandy day!

This was an attempted self portrait. I had done about 3 of a similar fashion (eyes and nose) prior to this one, so I just figured I'd add a little expression into it.

This is of my son at 1 year old. It is hanging in my mom's house, hence the framing--it was a Christmas present that only cost me time and a bit of charcoal. Sorry for the soft focus :/

The two sons of a family friend who was retiring from the Army, so I drew this for her retirement and it was presented to her at the ceremony. I'm not a fan of pats on the back, so it was a bit uncomfortable for me to sit there while it was presented. She liked it, though, and it's always fun to make people cry good tears!

This was done while in Alaska. There was a poster on the wall, so I figured I'd try to used my tablet and Photoshop to recreate the eagle. There are about 20 different layers in this, and I think I did a decent job recreating the colors. I added more dramatic shadows for a better lighting effect. I think it turned out okay for a guy who generally draws in more than 50 shades of grey.

Anyhoo, I have a lot more I could post, but thought this would at least break the water of creating threads and let you all know there's more to me than just opinionated (but fact-based, of course) ramblings on political and social issues.

Keep on keepin' on!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Wicked art work. You have quite a gift for the digital art. I know it is very time consuming to create these images.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Thanks...I'm a graphic designer by trade, but if it came with the same promise of steady pay and good benefits, I'd prefer to draw in charcoal for a living.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Awesome art!! I LOVE IT!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Anyhoo, I have a lot more I could post

I will follow your threads, I can't wait to see the rest.

Do you use CS4 of CS5? I use to be a designer also, but left the trade. I was newer as good as you!!!
edit on 6-1-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Awesome.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

There are about 20 different layers in this

I use to have only a few layers, like 5 or ten, but that is because I could never do this kind of quality. But a friend from college use almost 700 layers.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

We're on CS5.5 here at the office, but Adobe is now on the "CC" version (Creative Cloud) which is cloud based and you basically buy a subscription to use the software and download it from a cloud.

I appreciate the compliment, although these have nothing to do with my graphic design skills.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

Thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

I do things in InDesign and Illustrator that can get quite high numbers of layers going on, but not in the 700 range. Although, I do have many PSD files that break the gigabyte file size, but that's generally because I do everything at 300dpi or higher, or they're just very large pieces.

The worst part about having a ton of layers is the time it takes to label them all, or else I forget what's on them and why they exist.
edit on 7-1-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I appreciate the compliment, although these have nothing to do with my graphic design skills.

Will you do have the skill of designing!!

The worst part about having a ton of layers is the time it takes to label them all, or else I forget what's on them and why they exist.

That is true. My friend spent almost 800 hours on one design.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Very Nice! I really like your work. Not much for anything digital but I love the charcoal stuff. I always get frustrated when trying to create a portrait. No criticism here, you've got talent.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
These are very beautiful. I really like how striking the self-portrait in the works is. Kinda nice incompleted in a way. You are very talented with charcoal and if I'm not mistaken that is a difficult medium to work with since it smudges so much.

new topics

top topics

join