It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protestors disrupt 100 year old Navy vet during award ceremony

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't understand the need to act like jackasses to protest. I'm all for protesting. Just not like this. Have some freaking respect. This man fought so that you could keep that right. I'm getting fed up with these tactics and those that feel a need to always play apologist.

"I feel I'm no hero," said Raschio, dynamic and spry, before the event. "I don't accept it as being a hero. I accept it as being a part of my job."

Shortly after Wyden began speaking, though, protesters erupted in the back of the room, shouting "hands-up, don't shoot!" More than 100 pushed through the doors, banged on the windows from outside and hoisted signs.

Raschio's smile returned as Wyden presented him with a frame filled with medals. He was awarded the U.S. Naval Aviator Badge, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, the World War II Victory medal, the American Defense Service Medal, the "Ruptured Duck" award and the U.S. Navy Honorable discharge pin.

The crowd was eventually persuaded to STFU at which point Raschio spoke.

The feisty centenarian quickly responded, "Give me a chance" which brought chuckles from the audience. He further chastised the shouters, saying "Let's show a little respect for this occasion," to which the crowd applauded.

He accepted the medals on behalf of those who died in WWII and ended his short speech by saying, "God bless America. And you people that are here for a cause, whatever it might be—show respect to Sen. Wyden."

I'm again fine with protesting, shouting people down and interrupting a ceremony for a 100 year old war hero is not the way to go about it. These little pukes just come across looking like complete assholes and are doing far more harm for their cause than good.

It's certainly not all protesters, but there does seem to be an uptick in ridiculous protests. Use some common sense and have a modicum of respect.

Link

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
No doubt about it. Wrong place, wrong time, for that kind of protest. I don't understand why these people aren't picking and choosing their battles much more carefully, when they can make the most impact. This makes them look like fools to the rest of us, and does irreparable damage to their cause.

edit on 1/5/2015 by Klassified because: re-word

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Maybe it's time to start the Draft again !!!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Just goes to show the class and respect the vet has and how to handle these morons.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I agree, it was the wrong place and time and showed an utter lack of respect and class. Then again, from what I've been seeing online, they tend to lack both anyway.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Every time my father-in-law protests in front of an abortion clinic, I show him an article like this however, I'm certain that a good amount of these people are survivors.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That is becoming my impression too. Seems like perhaps they should change up their tactics and realize that these stunts are clearing not garnering any support for their cause (one that I in some ways actually agree with).

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

If only he had replied to the protesters by stating pants up don't loot.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
As stated; protest and make noise all you want, but I am sure that such protests against this, regardless of status, have any bearing on your point. What a sad state.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Stop what you are doing and look at me! The agenda doesn't matter except it's more important than anything you white people do. I don't hate myself because I found a scapegoat that is Caucasian to torment for my sins. I don't have anything better to do because I'm so self centered and self absorbed with myself. I am so much so, that I can't control myself to be a civil minded person to the people in this country or the veterans who fought for my freedom. Beside, they owe me for being born. Don't I look good on television?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

The line of thinking is that one must protest such things so that those who have never thought of the guilt they must be feeling will finally realize.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

I never will feel guilt. I feel pity.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Pity upon the protesters? That is how I read your post. That is what I was getting at.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Too bad the message has been kicked like a dead dog for 50 years. How's it working out for you? The message now is how much you can anger people, burn your community down, and steal stuff. Like a little child crying for attention. It's hard to take your stance or fight seriously. Don't blame me, blame yourself. After you finally realize what the problem is, you won't have a city protected by police or businesses to buy from. You are your own negative publicist. You painted the picture. You have to live with your actions.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
he time for these protests are over with.

They need to move beyond the bitching stage and onto the getting involved in their communities to change laws policies and procedures.

Its likes bitching at the sky because its raining while refusing to get an umbrella.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Are we talking in third person to prove a point? I honestly ask given your last response. I am not arguing for in this; I am highlighting that such protest are counter-intuitive.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Yes, I'm tired of hearing how they got life all messed up. While we all have to work. Well some of us did but they burned down the business they used to work at. Take your protest and shove it where the sun don't shine. The only thing you managed to do is make more people racist. Even one so daft can see that. It's like #ting where you eat.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You are going to love Totalitarianism.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It's still third person right?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Your liberal use of the pronoun "you" is confusing. I am sure I am reading your reply correct, but such vague reference is just as bad as protesting as displayed in this thread; in my opinion of course. I believe we need to be precise and to the point in our redress to any situation. Be upset and be vocal for such wrongs as we have seen, but disrupting a ceremony or any a private persons' lunch doesn't prove anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join