It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist organisation demands apology after University chancellor sends out video about importance of

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow, There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, is this a state(public) University? If it is then it is definitely unconstitutional because that's government establishing religion, but on top of that it's offensive and just downright wrong. When you look at all the immoral things done by christians such as bombing, torturing, poisoning, and our inhuman corporate crime system that makes people miserable around the world, how can christians have any claim to morality at all? And the real irony here is that they don't even believe in democracy, Christians here are pushing for their own version of Sharia law (theocracy) every day, while atheists just want the freedom to not be persecuted.

US atheist organisation demands apology after Alabama university chancellor sends out video about importance of religion for democracy

www.independent.co.uk... ortance-of-religion-for-democracy-9954365.html

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Isn't that against the ideas of the Founding Fathers? to advocate religion in politics? Now I don't mind freedom of religion but to bring religion to politics your gonna have a theocracy just like what Taliban ruled Afghanistan have.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Link didn't work for me, found it online though.

Long and short of it, religion is a great form of control.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The Christians are coming!
The Christians are coming!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Wow, There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, is this a state(public) University? If it is then it is definitely unconstitutional because that's government establishing religion, but on top of that it's offensive and just downright wrong. When you look at all the immoral things done by christians such as bombing, torturing, poisoning, and our inhuman corporate crime system that makes people miserable around the world, how can christians have any claim to morality at all? And the real irony here is that they don't even believe in democracy, Christians here are pushing for their own version of Sharia law (theocracy) every day, while atheists just want the freedom to not be persecuted.

US atheist organisation demands apology after Alabama university chancellor sends out video about importance of religion for democracy

www.independent.co.uk... ortance-of-religion-for-democracy-9954365.html

Talking about his belief on the importance of religion is not establishing a state religion.

Are people really this stupid?

And his entire video was telling a story about a Chinese guy who's most important thing he learned while at Harvard that he didn't realize before was the role religion plays in democracy. That people voluntarily follow laws, and are not forced to follow laws.

So what is the apology that atheists are demanding? Do atheists want to silence anybody's observations and opinions about positive causes and effects of religion?

Here's the law by the way:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Did Congress make a law establishing a religion?

Seems like the video is just a state employee giving his view, and telling the story about a Chinese guy.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yup and the entire premise is based of of some young guy from China opinion on the matter.

I expect better propaganda from Harvard.
edit on 4-1-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Ya the marxist china part was pretty good.
Blast from the red scare past

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Well he also decided to send it out to all of his students using the school e-mail.

A student took offense to some of the claims of the video and 'contacted', I would say it is the toss up who got ahold, of who fist the atheist organization.

I would say this falls into that grey area.
I wonder how much of this type of talk enters into his lectures.
edit on thSun, 04 Jan 2015 13:35:26 -0600America/Chicago120152680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm usually quiet on this subject until militant atheists whine and complain, if you don't like it don't watch it. There are Way more important things to be dramatic about.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Doesn't freedom of speech take precedent in this situation?

Very tolerant of the Atheists.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

And his entire video was telling a story about a Chinese guy who's most important thing he learned while at Harvard that he didn't realize before was the role religion plays in democracy. That people voluntarily follow laws, and are not forced to follow laws.

The video clearly states that because people went to church and were made to "believe" they are accountable to god" they are therefore more willing to obey the law. In essence religion is the primer to make you stupid, and less critical in thinking. So once as an adult you are used to "believe" what the "authority" - (Priest) - tells you, then why would you "question" such law as the Patriot Act and other things? You are already preconditions from childhood on to "believe" and not "question" things.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Our founding fathers ran away from the Church of England for nothing.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The rules that apply to workplace safety, criminal law, etc are that it always trumps human rights and religious rights to a certain extent, the same should go for politics.
Sure advocate the moral and ethical teachings in your religion, but don't shove it down citizens throats and use it for policies and political decisions, it just does not work.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Someone getting paid with tax dollars shouldn't be preaching religion (just religious history, of course).

Long and short of it, religion is a great form of control.

I totally forgot the mention that! And people still try to deny it. It's like that army person who said that atheism is bad because they won't be as likely to sacrifice their children to war if they don't think they'll see them in an afterlife.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I'm not trying to be dragged into another religious discussion

but I can't recall atheists ever being persecuted. I know so many outspoken atheists and none of them have ever been hushed or not had their opinions heard. Please, never claim atheists are victims.

So... if someone claims that religion and democracy work together atheist need an apology....

People have different opinions and beliefs, I thought atheists were all about this subject. If you don't agree with the chancellor about this subject just close your eyes and pretend you didn't read it, it works for some Christians
edit on 4-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I'm not trying to be dragged into another religious discussion

but I can't recall atheists ever being persecuted.

FFS.
Yeah, atheism is a new phenomena that just sprung up in the last few years.
oh wait!
Sorry, that should read that it's only in the last few years that Atheists were not tied to a wooden pole and burnt alive.
because god is love yeah!
You only hear about persecution when the persecuted find their voice.
Free thinking threatens power.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I am usually willing argue anything, but really you want to talk about Christians pushing sharia law???

Trying to turn the west into a theocracy.... Hyperbole I am hoping..

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

The middle ages thats your reference... I'm speaking presently since I didn't live through a time where the majority people can't read let alone think for themselves.(although most people still can't think for themselves imo) Don't attack me like you attack Christians. I'm just calling out hypocrisy nor did i claim to be Christian.

The problem is the human race and humans using religion as a form of control and personal gain, just like atheism will be used to attack people of faith, notice the trend?

I don't know any Christians that wants to put atheists on a wooden pole and watch them burn

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

The problem is the human race and humans using religion as a form of control and personal gain, just like atheism will be used to attack people of faith, notice the trend?

I don't know any Christians that wants to put atheists on a wooden pole and watch them burn

Forgive me, I am not attacking you and I agree wholeheartedly that religion is simply control - as my sig says 'Religion is simply politics with an immortal unoustable president.'

And yes' I used a medieval metaphor and now the pole and the flames are metaphoric but no less damaging to anyone wishing to make a difference by reaching for power. Or to change the current descent into horror that we are all heading for.
Answer me this;
Would a US (or any western country) presidential/leadership candidate who denied the existence of God get within spitting distance of the oval/any office.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I can't say for sure but I can safely say that I think Christians vote far more than Atheists. In my opinion, I believe atheists are a little more pessimistic about voting and tend to boycott the process.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join